Just remember, don't cry till the end.

Bodine

Sonic expert
Jan 25, 2009
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
(I picked that title cause that was the games slogan. Just so you know.)

Surely I'm not the only one here who has played Mother/EathBound Zero. What? I am? (Okay, seriously. One point of this thread is to see if anyone else on here has, I don't know anyone personally who does and you know how it is when you play a good game... You want to talk about it!)

I just beat the game... and wow. Totally impressed by this oldie-but-goodie. It doesn't even take an EarthBound fan to appreciate this game. A bit difficult yes, but worth it. Not as difficult as a lot of RPGs out there though.

The story is great, the characters are great, the game is great. The whole game sometimes comes off quirky and funny but truely it's a pretty sad game... not quite as sad as Mother 3 but sad nonetheless.

I guess I just made this thread for the reason I already said that you may or may not have already read, and to encourage anyone to play this game if you haven't. Forum rules and legal reasons won't permit me to tell you how or where so you're on your own there, but if you have the game and need help I'll happily tell you all I know about getting through Mother. I'm serious guys, play it.

A couple of links to enhance your Mother/Earthbound Zero experiance

Easy Patch: A LEGAL patch to make the game easier. Less level grinding. http://starmen.net/mother1/easypatch/

Walkthrough: Starmen.Nets very helpful walkthrough. If playing this game I highly recommend using this. Especially if you, like me, play without the Easy Patch. http://walkthrough.starmen.net/earthbound0/

Playthrough: A friend of mine on YouTube has a nice EarthBound Zero video playthrough playlist. If you want to see more of how the game plays, or want to watch the game without having to play it yourself, heres the playlist. http://www.youtube.com/user/Tork110#grid/user/A55381C0A3CE50FE

Magicant: An extensive EarthBound Zero website. Thanks to Starmen.Net for the link. http://wind.prohosting.com/magicant/

Last edited:
bump?

Illusion of Gaia was more sad IMO.

So you've played it?

Well, yeah I'm sure there's a lot of games out there more emotional than the mother games. Like Cids death on Final Fantasy 3.

is mother before "earthbound" for SNES? the first game of the 3?

i havent played #1 if thats what your refering to, but i recently beat earthbound for the first time and am now working on Mother 3 since starmen.net or w/e released the english translation for it

earthbound was an amazing game and im sad i didnt play it back when it came out for SNES, i remember being in grade 4 and a guy i knew bought the game and had the big box with the guide, stamp card, etc. i was curious but never got into it until about 8 months ago

Mother 3 seems quite good too

is mother before "earthbound" for SNES? the first game of the 3?

i havent played #1 if thats what your refering to, but i recently beat earthbound for the first time and am now working on Mother 3 since starmen.net or w/e released the english translation for it

earthbound was an amazing game and im sad i didnt play it back when it came out for SNES, i remember being in grade 4 and a guy i knew bought the game and had the big box with the guide, stamp card, etc. i was curious but never got into it until about 8 months ago

Mother 3 seems quite good too
Yeah, Earthbound in Japan is called Mother 2. Mother 1 wasn't released to the West but had an english translation set because it was suppose to come to the US, but the SNES was about to come out and Nintendo figured it wouldn't sell. So they brought Mother 2 to America and named it Earthbound, which is what they planned to name Mother 1 if it were to come to America. Someone got their hands on the single English Mother 1 copy, changed the name to EarthBound Zero, and dumped it onto the internet.

Oh, and if anyone wants to play it but thinks it may be too hard, or there may be too much level grinding, the nice folks at Starmen.Net has this nice Easy Patch.

link: http://starmen.net/mother1/easypatch/

The patch isn't illegle so I should be able to post a link to it. Don't worry mods, nowhere in this link directs you to the ROM, check for yourself.

how is this game compared to earthbound?

Well, graphicly it's inferior of coarse. But I'd say it's on-par with EarthBound story wise. Also, unlike EarthBound or Mother 3, the encounters are random, like in a Final Fantasy game

oh so u dont see the enemy correct?

yeah basically, which really isn't a problem till you get to the few enemy-filled areas lol. But with the Easy Patch that probably isn't even a problem, but I didn't use it so I wouldn't know.

Well, I just updated the OP, I added a video playthrough to the links. Your Wii can still look up youtube videos, right? It's a good playthrough so you can check it out and decide for yourself.

i never liked watching a game being played unless either i'm playing or it gets busted right towards the end. i'm just gonna pass on this. i mean i want to play, but i'm not interested enough to watch somebody else play.

Yeah I know what you mean about that, I'm like that too. But sometimes I'll watch a bit of a game to see if I want to play it or not. I put the playthrough up for that reason lol

OP updated with a huge website for Mother 1. Once again, thanks to Starmen.Net for the link. While you're there I suggest checking out the Mother overworld map they have there. Seriously, Legend of Zelda ain't got nothin' on that sucker...

Back