Just Sent in my wii for Reapir

Montauk198

Original Nintendo Kid
Jan 15, 2008
USA
Hello,
I bought my Wii on launch day. Haven't had any issues until now.

1.)Standby(orange light) Unit stays warm, During gameplay unit is hot.:mad5: :mad5:
2.)Disc drive became really loud when reading discs.:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
3.)GC games lag, take a long time to load.:sleep: :sleep:
4.)Used the Wii-fi connection for a week because it didnt work well,:scared: so I bought a wire dongle, which works perfectly.:cornut:

When sending in you Wii Console you better have something else to play becasue its going to take about a month.

I might sending in mine soon. :( What sort of proof-of-purchase does Nintendo require? Mine was 2nd-hand, but is under-warranty.

Call 1-800-255-3700 or goto http://www.nintendo.com

They ask for
1.)Serial number to check if it is under warranty or not. No Proof of Purchase..
2.)What is happening to confirm it is covered under waranty.
3.)Then help you setup the Repair order....

During the Repair setup they will tell you that they are not garenteed to save your original data due to the exten of damage. Save your game saves and anything worth backing up. All Wii shop content if syncd with your Nintendo account will be retirveable for redownloaded

I haven't downloaded any VC content, but I do care about the Internet Channel. Most important, however, are my save games. If I lose those, I'll die.

My Wii Repair Experience

FWIW here is my experience returning a Wii for repairs. Hopefully, this post will clear up some of the mis-information surrounding this process.

The Wii that Santa brought us was experiencing some problems, nothing that couldn't be worked around but unacceptable nonetheless.

I called the 1-800-255-3700 number on 12/26/07 and worked with a technician that set up a repair order and sent a prepaid Fedex label via email, which I received about 30 minutes after hanging up. The prepaid shipping was good for 30 days so we decided to keep the Wii over the holidays and return it after the kids went back to school. We had to supply our own box and shipping material but that was no big deal.

I dropped off my unit at the local Fed-ex/Kinkos, in Michigan, on the morning of 1/2/08 and it arrived at the Nintendo repair facility in Syracuse, NY on Friday 1/4/08. On Tuesday 1/8/08, my unit appeared as "received" on the Nintendo repair website. The website showed a received date of Monday 1/7/08.

The data on the website did not change until 1/15/08 when the status was changed from "received" to "shipped" and a tracking # was provided along with a link to the UPS website. The unit actually shipped on Monday 1/14. There was no information related to specific problems found or repairs/replacements made to the Wii.

The repaired Wii was delivered to my home, today, 1/16/08. I am hopefull that the problems have been solved and my kids are anxious to get their Wii back.

Overall, the repair/return process went very smoothly and the turnaround times provided on the Nintendo website appear to be accurate, even with holiday volumes taken into account. Out the door 1/2/08 .... returned on 1/16/08.

Rangerman,

What is the status of your Wii's configuration? Your Miis? And most-importantly, your save-games?

Hello Sremick,

It appears that the configuration of the console is intact. The same console that was sent for repairs was returned. The Miis are there as are the saved games. It is clear that they didn't erase any of the memory. I don't have any VC games so I can't speak to that.

The unit came with a repair order that indicated the work that was performed and the components that were replaced. There was also some additional documentation ... how to's on how to sync the controllers. Nothing that wasn't in the manual but still a nice touch.

That is the good news...the bad news is that the problem I was having is still there.

I won't go into every detail but my issues are when I introduce a second controller into the mix. I returned the console, sensor bar and two controllers and they ended up replacing the sensor bar and the two remotes.

Basically, I have to re-synch both controllers with the red buttons each time I turn on the console. This is a pain in the butt with the jackets on the remotes and a bit much to expect an 8 year old to do each time they turn on the Wii. It would appear that the folks in Syracuse never tested the system beyond the initial sync despite a detailed problem writeup that I provided.

I called the 1-800-255-3700 number and was presented with two options:

a) Return the unit for repair but this time to Washington to the Nintendo factory as opposed to the third party depot repair center. I was told that the factory is experiencing turnaround times of 15 to 16 working days, not including shipping time to and from.
b) Opt for an advance exchange unit. They send me a replacement console, tomorrow, with a prepaid shipping label and I return the bad console. If I don't return the bad unit in 21 days, they charge my credit card for $212.

I opted for advanced exchange and I will post my experience with that process.

I would imagine with advance-exchange you're responsible for transferring your own saved-game data via SD card. Let me know how that goes and what games work/don't

That is quite unfortunate to have a Christmas Wii not work. My repair is on the way so I'm quite anxious about the result.

Was your problem was just about synching the controllers?

Well in any case, I hope you get this sorted out. Besides, it's only $250. Life is too precious to be worrying about a Wii.

Rangerman said:
Hello Sremick,

It appears that the configuration of the console is intact. The same console that was sent for repairs was returned. The Miis are there as are the saved games. It is clear that they didn't erase any of the memory. I don't have any VC games so I can't speak to that.

The unit came with a repair order that indicated the work that was performed and the components that were replaced. There was also some additional documentation ... how to's on how to sync the controllers. Nothing that wasn't in the manual but still a nice touch.

That is the good news...the bad news is that the problem I was having is still there.

I won't go into every detail but my issues are when I introduce a second controller into the mix. I returned the console, sensor bar and two controllers and they ended up replacing the sensor bar and the two remotes.

Basically, I have to re-synch both controllers with the red buttons each time I turn on the console. This is a pain in the butt with the jackets on the remotes and a bit much to expect an 8 year old to do each time they turn on the Wii. It would appear that the folks in Syracuse never tested the system beyond the initial sync despite a detailed problem writeup that I provided.

I called the 1-800-255-3700 number and was presented with two options:

a) Return the unit for repair but this time to Washington to the Nintendo factory as opposed to the third party depot repair center. I was told that the factory is experiencing turnaround times of 15 to 16 working days, not including shipping time to and from.
b) Opt for an advance exchange unit. They send me a replacement console, tomorrow, with a prepaid shipping label and I return the bad console. If I don't return the bad unit in 21 days, they charge my credit card for $212.

I opted for advanced exchange and I will post my experience with that process.

the problem is that your wii is overheating, that was the problem with the first wiis that released. My wii started to make little noises and i bought a INTERCOOLER which makes my wii run smooth and i also have a fan stand so it never over heats. I play my wii about 2 hours a day on MOH H2. for intercoolers check out gamestop www.gamestop.com

I just got mine back today. It took about 14 days total from when I shipped it until having it returned. I was getting the infamous "Disc Read Error", noisy drive, and overheating. There was a printout from a 1980;s dot matrix printer that detailed the corrective action which was to replace the CD Drive. It seems to be working fine so far (after one hour of play).

Back