LCD TV ratios

nick680

WiiChat Member
Jul 31, 2007
Hi there,

At the moment I'm playing my wii on a 28" panasonic widescreen crt tv. The image is great with the official RGB cable, but the won't display correctly at 60hz (there's some distortion in the bottom left corner of the screen). I've recently brough Fifa 08 and this seems to be very stuttery at 50hz, almost like that its a bad conversion from 60hz, ie they've just removed some frames of animation. At 60hz the game plays very well and is fluid, though I do get the distortion in the bottom of the screen.
For this reason I've been looking at getting another TV. I want one to use as a pc monitor as well and have stumbled across an LG M198WA from play.com. The one thing i've noticed is that this has a screen ration of 16:10, where as the wii outputs at 16:9. Does this mean that the TV will have black areas at the top and bottom of the screen to fit the wii's aspect ratio, or will the tv stretch the image to fill the screen?

Thanks for your help,

Nick

If the TV does it right, then it will keep the proper aspect ratio and you will have "black bars." There is nothing wrong with this and you won't actually see more if it stretches, you just see an image that looks wrong.

Back