Log-In Page required to connect

Darcana

WiiChat Member
Mar 15, 2008
Hi all,

I live in a college dorm where we have pretty decent wireless internet, but to access it you need to type in a username and password on a login screen that appears whenever you open a browser on your computer. Since the Wii tests the connection before allowing me to access a browser...I don't know what to do!

I'm sure there's still a way to get my Wii (and DS) connected with this type of setup, but I have no idea how...please help!

You will not be able to use your Wii in that sort of environment. They have taken explicit steps to keep you from being able to do so.

Darcana said:
Hi all,

I live in a college dorm where we have pretty decent wireless internet, but to access it you need to type in a username and password on a login screen that appears whenever you open a browser on your computer. Since the Wii tests the connection before allowing me to access a browser...I don't know what to do!

I'm sure there's still a way to get my Wii (and DS) connected with this type of setup, but I have no idea how...please help!

You should talk to your university's ITS or Networks Systems (or the Residence Office). I know here they can make exceptions for devices such as XBox's and whatnot, so should be able to for your Wii. You'll just need to tell them what it is, and what the MAC address is.

Lol, well actually, I got it to work. I just grabbed my IP for the day from the computer and manually set the wii up for the same connection, then turned off my wireless card in the comp and was good to go.

I found out I can play friends battles but not with strangers, but other boards here seem to think this is a problem with Nintendo's servers, not with opening ports on people's routers, so we'll see. Thanks for the help, though!

Kiryllos said:
You should talk to your university's ITS or Networks Systems (or the Residence Office). I know here they can make exceptions for devices such as XBox's and whatnot, so should be able to for your Wii. You'll just need to tell them what it is, and what the MAC address is.

That's a good idea...I don't know how receptive my school would be to that idea, though. They suck like that ;P I'm moving soon or I would totally give that a try, though. Thanks!

You're lucky you got it to work, I spent a semester at K-State, and their IT department has this horrid scanner that you have to run on your computer to ensure that everything is exactly as *they* want it (right down to what antivirus you use and if you have all your updates installed, there was always a collective groan heard down the hall when new updates came out, since everyone just got booted off the network). Wii=can't run software=can't run CSA=can't connect to network.

I know, I felt so lucky when it was working...because I didn't expect it to at all. Of course, 2 days later, even using my new IP, my school's internet no longer works with the Wii. I have NO idea why... -_-

I was piggy backing on someone's wireless for a while, but the signal is so weak that I was bringing lag with me to all the matches I joined...more than one other person and it's just unplayable. Oh, well. I'm moving in the summer, so it's all good, I guess. Thanks everyone who replied!

Back