Lucario Battle Strategy Guide

Afo

WiiChat Member
Mar 13, 2008
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums, and new to SSBB (Super Smash Bros Brawl) but not to the SSB (Super Smash Bros) series.

After playing the game for around four hours as Lucario (who is my favorite character by FAR) I have discovered many efficient ways to take down opponents, or surprise enemies in order to turn the battle in YOUR favor. This guide will be COMPLETELY on Lucario, and no other character (except for the part when I explain FIGHTING other characters).

*NOTE* All of the damage amounts that I estimate are ASSUMING the fact that Lucario has 0% health on him.

*NOTE* I propose a lot of examples that may never happen to you guys but often happen to me. I usually "train" by fighting 3 Level 9's (different characters) in a ten stock battle, usually winning with 8 or 9 lives left. So please, just do not say "Oh those things NEVER happen" okay?

First thing's first, I noticed while i was on the Super Smash Bros Dojo website, that there is a slight detail that there are a couple facts missing about Lucario, so I would like to post them here:

1) They say you need 100 brawls to get Lucario. That is only PARTLY true. I discovered today that you need 100 OFFLINE BRAWLS in order to unlock him. I discovered this after having a total number of brawls at 100, but only have 70 of them being Offline, but once i got to 100 offline brawls, then BAM Lucario challenged me.

2) EXTREME SPEED!!! (Lucario's B Up move) I did not see any explanation about it on the website, and I will explain about it later in this guide.

Now for the guide :-D (oh yeah, this is my FIRST guide, so please do not be so harsh about my explanation, understanding of the game, etc. I would appreciate constructive criticism).

LUCARIO

Lucario is a dog-human pokemon that is from Pokemon. Originally, he is a Fighting/Steel pokemon. (enough of the pokemon explanation now :-D)

SPECIAL ABILITY!!!!!!
Lucario's special ability (Aura Sphere) is a GREAT one. Simply put, the more damage he has taken, the more damage he deals and greater distance he hits the enemy.

MOVE SET

*NOTE* WHEN I EXPLAIN THE BUTTONS IN THIS GUIDE, I WILL BE ASSUMING YOU ARE USING A GAMECUBE CONTROLLER

Quick Guide (hold the "Ctrl" button and "F" button and a screen will pop up, then type in these numbers EXACTLY and you will be brought to that section of the guide this saves a while of random searching)
*Note* do not plug in the periods, just the "Meh." and the "#"

Meh.1 ............................................................ A button moves
Meh.2 ............................................................ B button moves
Meh.3 ............................................................ Aerials
Meh.4 ............................................................ Training
Meh.5 ............................................................ Smash Attacks
Meh.6 ............................................................ Characters to be aware of

A MOVES Meh.1

Standard A (Just press the A button)
This attack is fairly weak, doing probably 2 - 3% damage.

Standard A Combo (pressing A repeatedly 3 times)
Now this is a great combo to use throughout the whole battle. It does decent damage, and gets the enemy away from you and in the air, which provides some advantages for you.

Forward A (holding forward while you press the A button) *note this is DIFFERENT from running A*
This is a solid move. Doing around 3-5% damage, while also pushing the enemy back quite a bit, however, it is good to know that this move has a slight longer range than you might expect, so use that to your advantage. It has a slight lag after the hit and before it too. HOWEVER, I promote exercising caution when using this move on experienced players or computers. I found that often good players would jump backwards or above you then smash you into the ground while you are still recovering OR they would strike you before your attack would go (since it is slightly slower than average).

Down A (holding down and then pressing A at the same time)
I believe Lucario does a simple kick to the opponents shins (if they have any) with this move. It is an efficient way to quickly deal some damage, but I would not recommend using it. There are several reasons why, and most importantly being that it has no great advantages. For example, Fox's down A is when he uses his tail to hit the enemy's feet, it is powerful and hits the enemies in an upward direction very hard. Lucario's however, just hits them and knocks them back slightly.

Up A (holding up and then pressing A at the same time)
Lucario does a heel kick where he raises his heel to BEHIND his head and makes an arc, swinging in a downward motion making it hit anything in front OR above it. This move is a great one. It has damage from about 3-6 % and hits the opponents just up in the air so you can hit them with another one of these before they react.

Running A (this is when you are running forward and you press A)
Lucario does a running kick thingie. I don't use it that often, but it is not a bad move. I mostly use it because it looks cool :-D Nothing special to know here, like most moves, it has a slight lag time after using so don't use it too recklessly.

B Moves Meh.2

Standard B (holding down or just tapping the B button)
This will make Lucario create a ball of (energy?) which he will then toss as a pretty fast pace towards his opponent. The longer you wait, the greater the size of the ball, and more damage it does. The more damage you have on you, the greater the ball can be. I STRONGLY recommend NOT just tossing these balls anywhere, because that is a waste of time. I STRONGLY recommend that you DO charge it up all the way at the beginning of the battle or if there is a slight pause in the action. Having a full sized energy ball ready is always great and makes the opponent nervous. From the experience I've had with my friends, they start to panic, because they know that if you can hit them with a combo and hit them with the fully charged ball, they will likely be killed. (Although they have to have SOME damage on them beforehand) ALSO, if you want to you CAN charge the ball during the middle of battle when you both are seperated, to DODGE attacks while charging, lean the control stick to the side and he will roll in that direction, holding the ball at whatever level you left it at, and dodging an attack. I strongly recommend damaging an opponent and finishing them off with this ball, it is clean, and easy, and you can keep some distance between you and your opponent while finishing them off.

Side B (holding the side button while pressing B)
This is one of my favorite moves that Lucario can use. It has 2 variations, a close one and a short distance one. If your opponent is within grabbing distance and you use this move, Lucario will grab the opponent and punch them hard in the stomach, doing a good amount of damage and sending them in a frontal direction. If the opponent is slightly out of grabbing range, your attack will simply hit them, still with around 7-10% damage but not knocking them back that much. I strongly recommend using a combo including this move at the beginning of the game since they do not fly far (or if they have newly respawned). If your opponent has LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW!!! damage on them, use the B over when you're within grabbing distance and quickly use it a gain, you'll send the opponent back just to get hit by another of your B over moves. Then you can charge at them and use your A to get even more distance on them. I believe using this combo when they have 0% and you have 0% does around 21% damage.

B Down
This move is very neat. It is Lucario's counter move. However, there is one VERY GOOD characteristic about it. It lasts longer (slightly) than all other "counters" that any other character in the game has. Therefore, it is slightly easier to use. When you are using it and a character hits you, you will take no damage (I believe) and you will quickly slide tackle them from behind. Knocking them down for a short time. This move is a great recovery move. What i mean by that is that it can help turn the tide of battle. Once you get to the top tier and start fighting great players, (usually ones that are very fast too) you will notice that if you get stuck in a combo, you're pretty much screwed over. For example, i fought this guy who was GODLY with marth, and within the first 15 seconds of battle had me in the air almost flying out of the screen with 102% damage on me and only 11% damage on him. That is a screwed over position. However, me, being the Genius i am :-D decided to use this move in mid air to see if I could change the tide of battle. So basically i double jumped above him and started flying down, and right before he hit me with an A up smash, I used this move, causing me to counter him and (since i had 102%) killing him in the process by hitting him off the screen :-D GO ME!!!! That is a great situation to use this in. I do NOT recommend spamming this move hoping that your opponent will fall for it. Also, when you use it like I did in the example, note that you have to "recover" in air, meaning you have to be at a state where you can USE it on command, so I usually spam press A until my guy finally does an A move, then you know he's ready for any other move you make him do.

I apologize but this will be a lengthy guide and I do not have the time to finish it right now. Please comment on it though. :-D thanks I will finish it very soon

B Up (pressing up and B at the same time)
This move is called extreme speed. What basically happens, is that Lucario STOPS, waits for about 1/2 a second, then LAUNCHES at an extremely fast speed (hence the extreme speed) in a direction. There are many good things about this move.
1. This is what I like to call as a good fly-breaker. This means that when you're flying towards the edge of the map because you were hit hard, constantly press B down and if your character performs this in time, all your momentum will be COMPLETELY CANCELED, then press the direction towards the stage and hope that you make it back, unfortunately if you use this tactic, you won't have your two jumps before using this move. Use this only as a last resort when you KNOW otherwise you'd die.
2. I don't think many people have realized this, but while moving during the move, you can CURVE!!! For example, if you're right ouside of the edge of Final Destination, and there is an enemy, say pikachu, you don't HAVE to go straight up or straight down, why not confuse the little pikachu and go above it, but then curve down :-D
3. Wall sticking. This is when you use extreme speed, hit a wall/barrier, and stick to it for another second, giving you time to make another two jumps back to (hopefully) safety :-D. Now after practicing this, I have realized why so many people fail at wall sticking. To do this, do NOT HOLD THE DIRECTION BUTTON ONCE YOUR CHARACTER STARTS MOVING! What will happen is that (lets say you make your lucario do extreme speed to the left into a wall) if you keep holding the joystick to the left, you'll hit the wall, and the character will try to run at the wall when it's supposed to be sticking, so basically you screw yourself over >.> So, let me repeat, wall sticking is nearly impossible when you curve, i've done it, but it's a pain. Go in one STRAIGHT direction, and do NOT hold that direction with your joystick

Aerials Meh.3
Aerials are when you use A button moves IN THE AIR!!! These are different from your ordinary A button attacks, and quite useful (considering the fact that LUCARIO has great Aerials, the better you get with him, the more of these you will be using)

Aerial Up (pressing A up while in the air)
I haven't played SSBB in two days, so i don't remember any of Lucario's aerials except for his down aerial, so this section is "under construction"

TRAINING Meh.4
Hey guys, once again, I apologize for not finishing the guide sooner... I am in highschool and well, I am being bombarded by projects because it's just that time of year. It has been two nights since I posted this and I see that many people seem to like this guide, thank you for complimenting my first guide :-D Anyways, I have been getting a lot of messages telling me about how people love Lucario so much, and they follow all my tips, but they don't know how to get better.

Well, before finishing my "B" section of the guide, I would like to explain the most efficient way to train with Lucario.

Lucario, as you may have noticed isn't the strongest , nor fastest character. He has pretty slow combos, and can be interrupted easily and isn't good at fighting multiple people. HOWEVER his great advantage is the fact that (in case you haven't noticed) he is programmed to fly a little less far than other characters at his damage percent. Also, his attacks are very good at interrupting OTHER people's combos :-D this is where training comes in.

To train, at EVERY SKILL LEVEL, I suggest going into "Special Melee" and turn on the percent one... I don't remember what it's called, but it's the one where you start at a percent, and if you go down to zero, you lose. Then basically set yourself to 100 and your opponent to 300 ALWAYS KEEP IT AT THIS RATIO! Many of you might not understand but this exercise isn't about doing more damage, it's mostly about getting more hits in than your opponent (in this case a computer). NOW is when you get to make your own decisions. If you want items on, that's fine, but I do strongly recommend turning items off. Also, I recommend putting the computer at a level that you cannot beat. (That may be unclear so I'll give an example: If you can beat a level 6 computer on a normal brawl, but not a level 7, I suggest setting the computer to level 7 or 8 when using my training tactic). That way, you have to be much more careful about when you attack and when to recover, because if you make one slight error, you'll suddenly get caught up in a combo that will take away a third of your health (stupid metaknight and pit).ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS!!!! Train on final destination. Also, I have not written this part yet, but SHIELDING AND ROLLING are a big part of Lucario's tactics. I have not explained them yet because I have not had time. But I'll tell you one great tactic to use with Lucario. In case you didn't know, to roll, hold your shield button, then while shielding, move to the left or right. This is a valuable technique to dodge AND put distance or shorten the distance between you and your opponent. A strategy to practice as Lucario on final destination is: stand on the EDGES! What you do is just stand on the edges and wait for your opponent to come to you! (I have not explained the charging technique yet but I will) When the opponent is a little bit out of normal hitting range, quickly roll TOWARDS them, and if you use this correctly, you will have suddenly changed the tide of battle. The opponent is not charging towards empty space, with their back towards you, and the edge towards their front. Quickly hit them with a *A taping combo* and you should send them off the edge. If they are flying far, you could edge them, but I will (once again) explain that later

Smash Attacks
Smash attacks are when you press in a direction pretty quickly WHILE pressing the a button, or just pressing a direction on the C stick
*Note* for beginners and intermediate players, and some experts too, i highly suggest NOT charging smash attacks, it's a waste of time, and also you could be doing something PRODUCTIVE instead of HOPING your enemy will charge right INTO your fully charged smash attack. You could be beating your enemy while they're in the air, instead of charging a smash attack, and hoping they will land in front of you.

Side Smash (pressing side when you press A)
Lucario outdoes himself on this one. His normal attacks don't have that great range, but his side smash has stellar range :-D He basically brings his fists to his waste, then lunges at the opponent with both fists and has a pretty darn good range only problem is, it's extremely slow, like all of his other attacks. I typically dont' use this attack much, if they are in range of this attack, they're in range of Lucario's side b, which is faster :-D so i use that...

TO BE CONTINUED SORRY GUYS I'M WORKING AS FAST AS I CAN BUT UNLESS ANY OF YOU CAN HELP ME WRITE A 15 MINUTE SPEECH ON ALS THEN I CAN'T FINISH THIS TODAY >.<

Characters to be Aware of Meh.6
Snake
This dude is plain evil. Once you fight a good snake as Lucario, you will be so mad it's not even funny. He is superior to you in EVERY WAY BUT ONE!!! HE has longer range (for the most part) hits much harder, and is faster (and taller :-D) The one advantage you have over him is your smash attacks. Most of his specials or smashes have to do with setting up something or take an extremely long time to activate, therefore, you need to seriously watch out for those. As soon as he starts digging at the ground, go on an all out charge, trust me. Even if he finishes in time, there is a 1/2 second delay before he can do anything and by then hopefully you would have kicked his ass. Another problem while fighting snake is that he will beat you to a pulp if you do not DODGE! I cannot stress this enough... DODGE DODGE DODGE DODGE DODGE!! If you don't, you'll end up taking serious damage (I alt with snake and within a 1.5ish second combo i can do 38% damage :-D) For the most part, do what i said about standing on the edge. One thing that snake DOESN'T HAVE is good aerials (compared to Lucario) if you are a good aerial coordinator :-D kick his ass in the skys :-D that's all for today folks

Coming Soon:

SMASH ATTACKS
TACTICS
SITUATIONAL WEAPONS
MAPS
CHARACTERS TO BE AWARE OF

Last edited:
Enjoy peoples... plz if you read this COMMENT about it :-D i'd be happy to read what you think

Nice job on the guide!

you did a great job. i just recently discovered that i really like lucario, but i have problems facing off multiplayer because most of lucario's attacks have low knockback, unless he is at a high percent, making it hard to get kills off. Plus, most of your combos can easily be interrupted. You should also mention some air attack strategies, like a shorthop, f-air, n-air. Shield grabbing also works great with lucario, because you can roll quickly, shiled, and grab. his down air is amazing! Try to put ways where it would be usefull. thanks. nice job.

oh yeah

and i will also be posting about:
Air Attacks (includes Aerials)
Anti-Air Attacks
Rolling / Dodging

:-D thanks moo dude

what exactly do you mean by contributing right from the start :-D but i'm glad i do it anyways... i'm just trying to make my guide so that there is no confusion. i have it when i read a guide and someone doesn't explain something til the end, and by then, you're all confused >.>

He means that you just joined wiichat and made a really helpful post. Well done, and I welcome you. Watch out for:

Pac-men committing suicide:
147849972647449e16abc94.gif

nice job

I like to hear what you say on Lucario tactics and training still. I also figured out that if you use down-air when you're getting knocked up off the stage(maybe off the side), then you get slowed down a lot and can prevent a KO. and a good tactic is when your hanging on the ledge and your foe is in front of you, let go, then jump and do a forward air, neutral air, then the standard a-combo. I'll try that training method. thanks.

Great Thread/Guide when I first started reading I went straight to Training on Final Destination.
If you could tho, when you update the first post can you post another post saying that you updated the first post? lol

HOLY CRAP! I just wrote a huge part of the section, and then it didn't get updated :-( WHY LORD WHY!?!?!?!

nvm life's good :-D

Double posting is against WiiChat's rules. Next time, please click the 'edit post' button to the bottom right of your post and add what needs to be added.

nice job... i am debating on what characters to use as my main ones and this guide helps a lot... :)

Great job man, it's fantastic

lucario is one of my many sub-mains, and i've learned a lot from this guide

LevesqueIsKing said:
Double posting is against WiiChat's rules. Next time, please click the 'edit post' button to the bottom right of your post and add what needs to be added.

not if you have a long ass post and you might run out of room

In many years of foruming I've yet to see a response that suffices to the maximum character limit of a post.

Last edited:
Back