Madden 08 Online may when football season ends.

COLDshiver

Wii Owner
Sep 14, 2006
America
Wii Online Code
4532-8683-6668-7765
Madden 08 Online may end when football season ends.

Reading the manual for online play it says:
EA may retire online features after 30 days notice posted on www.ea.com or 30 days after the last day of the 2007-2008 season.

I don't know if this is normal or not but this means that online may not last at least a couple of years. But the key word is MAY RETIRE. So I don't know. If the online fails, then the rest of us who enjoyed it won't be able to play :/

Discuss

Last edited:
I'm not saying to drop it but it was just in the manual so if they cut the online, noone would be surprised.

yea, probably just a ploy so you have to buy next season's madden too. If everyone enjoys this one, has online setup and plays it regularly what would their incentive to buy the next one be? I'm not saying it's right, in fact it's wrong, but that's probably their reason

how is online anyway? is it like strikers where you need friends codes or is there a lobby and you play random people?

EA has recently announced that they'll shut down online for many quite old games:
September 1, 2007 Online Service Shutdown
Arena Football for PlayStation 2
Arena Football for Xbox
FIFA Soccer 06 for Xbox 360
FIFA Soccer 06 for PC
FIFA06 for PC
FIFA Soccer 06 for PlayStation 2
FIFA Soccer 06 for PlayStation Portable
FIFA Soccer 06 for Xbox
FIFA World Cup 2006 for PC
FIFA World Cup 2006 for PlayStation 2
FIFA World Cup 2006 for PlayStation Portable
FIFA World Cup 2006 for Xbox
Fight Night Round 3 for PlayStation Portable
Fight Night Round 3 for Xbox
Madden NFL 06 for Xbox 360
Madden NFL 06 for PC
Madden NFL 06 for PlayStation 2
Madden NFL 06 for PlayStation Portable
Madden NFL 06 for Xbox
Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects for PlayStation 2
Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects for Xbox
MVP 07 NCAA Baseball for PlayStation 2
MVP 07 NCAA Baseball for Xbox
NASCAR 06 Total Team Control for PlayStation 2
NASCAR 06 Total Team Control for Xbox
NBA Live 06 for Xbox 360
NBA Live 06 for PC
NBA Live 06 for PlayStation 2
NBA Live 06 for PlayStation Portable
NCAA Football 2005 for Xbox
NCAA Football 2006 for PlayStation 2
NCAA Football 2006 for Xbox
NCAA March Madness 06 for PlayStation 2
NCAA March Madness 06 for Xbox
NFL Head Coach for PC
NFL Head Coach for Xbox
NFL Head Coach for PlayStation 2
NHL 06 for PC
NHL 06 for PlayStation 2
NHL 06 for Xbox
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 for Xbox 360
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 for Xbox

November 1, 2007 Online Service Shutdown
Burnout Revenge for Xbox
Burnout Revenge for PlayStation 2
Need for Speed Underground for PlayStation 2
Need for Speed Underground 2 for PC
Need for Speed Underground 2 for PlayStation 2
Need for Speed Most Wanted for PlayStation Portable
Need for Speed Most Wanted for Xbox

As you can see, there are plenty of EA Sports titles in the list, maybe they'll do the same then. But I doubt they'll do it unless there's a '09 title out

Last edited:
This is most likely just a clause to cover themselves, things like this are often included in these cases so that if they decide for any reason to shut down the online play nobody can sue them for a service that was paid for and not delivered. Otherwise it could be deemed that the online service is supposed to last forever, and that will hardly be the case when the newer versions of the game are released. Who wants to play Madden '08 in 2015? Just like in the list above, most people will play the '08 versions over '06; and there again, what better way to force the consumer to buy the new version?

They always have that warning on. They must have it on the box / manual beacuse whenever they decide to shut down the service, they can do so without any user complaints.

Robotnik said:
yea, probably just a ploy so you have to buy next season's madden too. If everyone enjoys this one, has online setup and plays it regularly what would their incentive to buy the next one be? I'm not saying it's right, in fact it's wrong, but that's probably their reason
exactly what i was thinking

Back