Miyamoto Unconcerned By Rival Motion Control Systems

castlezelda

WiiChat Member
Feb 7, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Sony and Microsoft's attempts 'lack depth', says Mario's dad

This year's E3 was an interesting one for fans of motion-controlled gaming. Not only did Sony unveil it's PS3 'wand' controller, Microsoft went one better with Natal, which doesn't use a controller at all.

Naturally, one might wonder what Nintendo - the company that started this particular revoluition - is thinking right now. The BBC recently got the chance to sit down with Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto and posed the question we're all dying to ask: Is Nintendo worried about these rival systems?

And the great man replied:

Not worried at all. The fact that both of those companies are looking at finding ways to get the gamer off the couch, taking advantage of MC, and really getting the gamer to control the game by moving their body, shows that No. 1 they've looked at what we've done with Wii, and seen the value in that. And now they're moving in the same direction that we have already established. ... We've been experimenting with motion control for over five years now. Based on the announcements we've seen here at E3, it seems these other two companies have really only been experimenting with this only very recently. ... It looks like they're still in their initial stages and are trying to create experiences that at this point don't have the type of depth that we're able to provide with Wii Motion Plus.

Heres the link http://wii.nintendolife.com/news/2009/06/miyamoto_unconcerned_by_rival_motion_control_systems

What depth? A single player three-point competition? Throwing a frisbee to a dog?

Well its good to see that he isnt crying lol. The depth, is basicly how they are expirimenting with the new controls. Remember nintendo introduced motion controlled gaming to the big leagues. As he said, "they've looked at what we've done with Wii, and seen the value in that". It makes sense, because nintendo keeps introducing new ways to play. If the wii could produce better graphics maybe the age of two analog stick fps will end. Personally i find fps on the wii more fun, even if the game isnt good. The idea is genius, and its true how microsoft and sony want to keep up with the competition. All the wii needs is some better graphics and more mature games and whola, back on top.

Seeing as Miyamoto himself doesn't thoroughly enjoy videogames, I would say that he's pretty useless for getting opinions from. We just want him to come out with facts, like new Zelda games. He doesn't seem to be phased by competition much. The Wii has a completely different audience than the rival consoles. I guess they're still focusing on that... It's quite disappointing, but that's how Nintendo work nowadays. Miyamoto is a figurehead at best.

What depth? A single player three-point competition? Throwing a frisbee to a dog?

Depth means:
1. They have a name for their motion controller.
2. They're done experimenting w/ prototypes, they have a finished design.
3. WiiMotion Plus has a price and ready for sale.
4. They have many games in development that hasn't been announced.
5. They have well tested software that's actually ready to be released.
6. They have 3rd party developers that has been developing games for it.
7. They have the casual market who believes in motion control gaming which is key to success.

I think they should've stuck w/ the codename 'Revolution' since that's what it's currently doing. Also, sounds much better than 'Wii'.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised that he is unconcerned. Who would be? Nintendo is revolutionizing the gaming industry. All one can say is: Bravo.

Nintendo started the revolution, then added a bunch of crap to it. Sony and M$ will try to advance it and push it to is limits.

Nintendo started the revolution, then added a bunch of crap to it. Sony and M$ will try to advance it and push it to is limits.

And more than likely they'll turn it into another virtual pissing contest where arguments over how many pixels per inch of movement will become more important than the actual enjoyment of the games...

Well its good to see that he isnt crying lol. The depth, is basicly how they are expirimenting with the new controls. Remember nintendo introduced motion controlled gaming to the big leagues. As he said, "they've looked at what we've done with Wii, and seen the value in that". It makes sense, because nintendo keeps introducing new ways to play. If the wii could produce better graphics maybe the age of two analog stick fps will end. Personally i find fps on the wii more fun, even if the game isnt good. The idea is genius, and its true how microsoft and sony want to keep up with the competition. All the wii needs is some better graphics and more mature games and whola, back on top.

this is the best post i've ever read on wiichat. and he's right. the only things holding Nintendo back are the graphics, quality titles and in my opinion their online systems. the graphics are good but could be way better. there are a few quality titles but shovelware stops most from looking at them. and the friend code thing is just a waste of time. Nintendo could be on top, but only if they fix these three things.

this is the best post i've ever read on wiichat. and he's right. the only things holding Nintendo back are the graphics, quality titles and in my opinion their online systems. the graphics are good but could be way better. there are a few quality titles but shovelware stops most from looking at them. and the friend code thing is just a waste of time. Nintendo could be on top, but only if they fix these three things.

The Wii's online is the worst thing about the system IMHO. The grafix could be better but as we all know grafix dont make the game. There are alot of good games for the Wii. I agree with you about the shovelware but i dont think of it as crap games anymore. Its just not for us but others like these games so im glad someone is enjoying them. Your not forced to buy them so no biggy.

Last but not least Nintendo is on top.

in sales only cause its the cheepest. overall though its the worst.

has the worst graphics of the 3
the worst online of the 3
not as many great games compared to the other 2
cheaper than the other 2

+1 -3 the Wii is the worst of the 3 next-gen systems

in sales only cause its the cheepest.

Wrong. Highest in sales because its aimed at families and interactive. Do you have any idea how many adults have said, "yeah, we bought the kids a wii because at least it gets them up and doing something....and we play it too cause its fun for the whole family."

That's why its #1 in sales by a HUGE margin. People buying this with family use in mind are gonna buy 4 of every accessory, its not cheaper.
I agree with you on the rest of the stuff mostly. If Nintendo ups the ante with a system that has HD graphics and improve online game play, it will take over the world. I think we'll see more games that require intense graphic capability. Game makers will be more willing to make the Nintendo version when the system can handle what they want to do.

Let's not forget, Wii has sold as many as the other 2 combined...from a business standpoint that's huge.

Last edited:
Wrong. Highest in sales because its aimed at families and interactive. Do you have any idea how many adults have said, "yeah, we bought the kids a wii because at least it gets them up and doing something....and we play it too cause its fun for the whole family."

That's why its #1 in sales by a HUGE margin. People buying this with family use in mind are gonna buy 4 of every accessory, its not cheaper.
I agree with you on the rest of the stuff mostly. If Nintendo ups the ante with a system that has HD graphics and improve online game play, it will take over the world. I think we'll see more games that require intense graphic capability. Game makers will be more willing to make the Nintendo version when the system can handle what they want to do.

Let's not forget, Wii has sold as many as the other 2 combined...from a business standpoint that's huge.

Good points.

The way i see it Nintendo has gone out on a limb here with the Wii. They were relying on imagination and inovation for there games. With the other 2 its more of the same old crap. More graphics, more graphics, MORE GRAPHICS!

I like graphics as much as the next guy but they seem to use them as a crutch sometimes.

From my point of view thats the only thing the other 2 have over the Wii is graphics. The online is one too but 360 does charge for it and its not that big of a deal, at least for me.

in sales only cause its the cheepest. overall though its the worst.

has the worst graphics of the 3
the worst online of the 3
not as many great games compared to the other 2
cheaper than the other 2

+1 -3 the Wii is the worst of the 3 next-gen systems

I think that is silly to say that a console is winning based on being the cheepest [sic]. I think that stuff is really a short handed analysis that doesn't have much depth.

Also take note that the Xbox360 Arcade SKU is $199.99 while the Wii is still $249.99.

-As it stands, the Wii represents half the home console market.

-The Wii is a system that compliments owning a PS3 and an Xbox360. Not many people are going to own a PS3 and an Xbox360.

-The PS3 and Xbox360 share many similar games while the Wii has many games that are not only unique on the Wii but exclusive to the Wii.

-The Wii has the best Backwards compatibility to date being able to play Gamecube games and virtual console games. The PS3 had remove it from newer SKUs. Both the Xbox360 and PS3 require software emulation and emulation is limited.

-The Xbox360 has the red ring of dead. The PS3, while not as frequent, has heating issues as well. It isn't a big deal on the Wii due to low power consumption.

In addition, think about the following.

-Wasn't the Genesis cheaper than the Super Nintendo?

-Wasn't the Gamecube cheaper than the PS2 and Xbox?

-Didn't the Saturn and the Dreamcast have online before the PS2 and Xbox?

-Wasn't the N64 and Saturn more powerful than the PS1?

-Wasn't the Sega Master System?

-Was the Atari2600 the least powerful system of all 12 of its competitors?

Back