Motion Plus vs Natal vs Ball on Stick

Godwind

WiiChat Member
Jan 26, 2009
What do you think is the best for motion controls?

I am still going to the Wii.

I think the Wii will be best for accuracy. Especially with WiiMotion plus. Natal looks interesting, but I doubt it's benefit if you don't have too much space (e.g. in your bedroom or a really small living room). The thing with the ps3 one is that it's basically a bit like motion capture, only with a connected to something like a wiimote. It's interesting that the both microsoft's and Sony's contraptions are based on cameras. Not sure if that's a good thing or not...

Until Microsoft's and Sony's devices have been released it is impossible to say which will turn out to be the best.

Natal looks good but a lot of what they showed was apparently faked. Until they have it fully working and have set a release date/price point there is no way of telling how good it will be.

Sony's purple rod looks like a copy of the Wii remote with motion plus built in (although the tech is bit different with it using a camera). Some people are saying that it is better then WMP but I've also heard that there were glitches with it. Again, untill a finished unit is available there is no way of judging it against WMP. Plus Sony seems to have trouble with their controllers this gen, in that they can't seem to stick to a single design for very long (boomerang, Six Axis no rumble, Six Axis rumble, purple rod).

Nintendo have released motion plus though, so they are the only company with a working model that you can actually buy. I think that the Wii's controls offer more options too because it is not just motion control. It combines motion, IR and analogue controls in a well designed set up. The control set is also the only one that is standard with the console and although WMP is an add on it should be easier to sell something that keeps the same set up rather than having to adapt to a totally different control scheme. I'd expect future Wii SKUs to include WMP too.

So Nintendo still rules the motion controller battle at the moment. I don't see much changing either no matter how good the competition is because Nintendo were the only ones to set out on the motion route from the start. Microsoft and Sony are jumping on the bandwagon but it is a bit too late, because the casual owners won't pay out for a new console.

Next gen it may all change though if Microsoft and Sony package these new controls as standard.

Sony's purple rod looks like a copy of the Wii remote with motion plus built in (although the tech is bit different with it using a camera). Some people are saying that it is better then WMP but I've also heard that there were glitches with it. Again, untill a finished unit is available there is no way of judging it against WMP. Plus Sony seems to have trouble with their controllers this gen, in that they can't seem to stick to a single design for very long (boomerang, Six Axis no rumble, Six Axis rumble, purple rod).

It really isn't a purple rod. Probably black to match the theme color.

[video=youtube;qiX-26VL4bM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiX-26VL4bM[/video]

However, the tips do change. For now lets call it ball on stick.

Wii for accuracy.

Project Neyetoyl isn't doing anything that hasn't been done before. I mean even the DS has a camera and voice recognition.

Ball on a stick is awesome. But definitely not better than Wiimote. The thing here is that it seems like Nintendo has a patent on motion controllers as I noticed these controls need a camera for them to work(horrible). What I do like about ball on a stick is that you can use two. I don't know if you've noticed but the Nunchuck lacks accuracy. But by next gen Nintendo can have this fixed and Wiimote tech will be so cheap Motionplus will be built unto the Wiimotes. And by then adding cameras and mics into the sensor bar will be like adding cheese to a sandwich.

You need to call Sony's preliminary design the Futuristic PS Dildo. Just sayin'.

Anyway, my vote goes to Sony's sex toy.

Wii for accuracy.

Project Neyetoyl isn't doing anything that hasn't been done before. I mean even the DS has a camera and voice recognition.

Ball on a stick is awesome. But definitely not better than Wiimote. The thing here is that it seems like Nintendo has a patent on motion controllers as I noticed these controls need a camera for them to work(horrible). What I do like about ball on a stick is that you can use two. I don't know if you've noticed but the Nunchuck lacks accuracy. But by next gen Nintendo can have this fixed and Wiimote tech will be so cheap Motionplus will be built unto the Wiimotes. And by then adding cameras and mics into the sensor bar will be like adding cheese to a sandwich.

I find it funny how you say it's horrible that Sony's (and Microsoft's) need a camera for them to work, but then go on to say that next gen, Nintendo will add a camera to the sensor bar.

Personally I can't really say which is best, until they're all out and I've tried them all. I can't even say how good WM+ is until I've tried it.

However, taking them all into account as being something I've only saw and not even remotely tried, regardless of how finished they are, I think that Sony's has the most potential. The accuracy they showed was more than anything I've seen of the others, and there just seems to be so much more potential with involving a camera.

Wii for accuracy.

Natal is not just a camera. It's a pair of cameras that enables it to detect depth perception (like our eyes). This also aids in isolating players from the background.

Ball on a stick is awesome. But definitely not better than Wiimote. The thing here is that it seems like Nintendo has a patent on motion controllers as I noticed these controls need a camera for them to work(horrible).

Yeah, the downside to cameras is that their view can be blocked. With the Sony system, if your arm comes in front of one of the controllers, the camera won't be able to see it anymore and will have to make a best guess at where it's located based on its previous position.

What I do like about ball on a stick is that you can use two. I don't know if you've noticed but the Nunchuck lacks accuracy. But by next gen Nintendo can have this fixed and Wiimote tech will be so cheap Motionplus will be built unto the Wiimotes.

Someone could just make a game that uses two Wiimotes, both with the MotionPlus add-on.

When I saw Natal I was really impressed, though its obvious that it is Microsoft's effort to get into the movement control Wii has already got into. Sony's ball on a stick (lol) is even more noticeable.

It is really hard to compare them, specially with Natal, because we're talking about different things as Natal's controller is, well, no controller. The matters I see in Natal is as simple as having no buttons. The type of games that can be played withouth buttons will be restricted. How do you play a platformer without a controller? Man if you jump and run all the time you'll end in very good shape :D And a shooter? will it be able to recognize your finger pulling the trigger? very hard. That's why I think getting rid of controllers is not quite a good idea, though I still think it's brilliant cus it will open new game options and looks very fun!

Comparing the Wii remote with ball on a stick, I can see that ball on a stick is way more accurate than the Wii remote, though I think this will be fixed with Wii motion plus, so there's no problem; and, as I said, it is quite noticeable that ball on a stick is based on the Wii controller.

What I like of the Wii remote, as raisinghelen said, is that it's not just motion, it has buttons and an analog stick. I like the Wii remote a lot and I think it might be the best and easier to use controller made up to date. It also can be used in creative ways, and even like a NES controller, so it is not limited to just one thing. So thumbs up for the Wii remote!!

Ball on a Stick = favorite so far. might just buy a ps3 for that xD

Project Natal is pretty cool too.

WMP is ehhhhh for me. not really much a big deal. just makes it more accurate. wooooooo.

and, as I said, it is quite noticeable that ball on a stick is based on the Wii controller.

Well yes and no... When designing a controller that can be held in one hand, there are not a lot of shapes to choose from (especially if you want to be able to point with it).

The Fairchild Channel F had this back in 1976:
fairchild_channel-f_1.jpg

Ball on a Stick = favorite so far. might just buy a ps3 for that xD

Project Natal is pretty cool too.

WMP is ehhhhh for me. not really much a big deal. just makes it more accurate. wooooooo.

Isn't more accuracy the whole point?

If accuracy isn't important to you then what attracts you to the Ball on a Stick? You just like balls or something? :confused:

I think there's too many threads of this.

Back