New Wii with DVD with player

I personally never heard of a statement, but it could be programmed in a way that all discs entered will be read forward first, and if nothing is found the drive will attempt to read it backward. Thing is, it might make load time slightly longer, but not by much.

I personally think Nintendo is trying to avoid the whole different bundle deals, I don't think most people like it.

xbandaidx said:
I personally never heard of a statement, but it could be programmed in a way that all discs entered will be read forward first, and if nothing is found the drive will attempt to read it backward. Thing is, it might make load time slightly longer, but not by much.

I personally think Nintendo is trying to avoid the whole different bundle deals, I don't think most people like it.

I am in class now, but i will find the link when I get home, so we can just end the debate then.

I can't stand different versions of the same console, bugs the heck out of me. Updateing firmwares and software upgrades through Wii Online? Great. But making a whole new console? That get's so annoying. PS2 has like 12 or 13 versions. (I'm not sure exactly how many).

CaliforniaBeachUSA said:
I can't stand different versions of the same console, bugs the heck out of me. Updateing firmwares and software upgrades through Wii Online? Great. But making a whole new console? That get's so annoying. PS2 has like 12 or 13 versions. (I'm not sure exactly how many).

I will make clarifications when I get home as to why they have to sell a brand new unit for dvd.

Here is a link though to prove my previous point.

GameSpy: DVD Playback for U.S. Wii Coming

they might, if its a software update, most likely going to be in the shopping channel, for those that already have a wii before the dvd feature...

Good link. But...If that occurs and previous Wii users get mad about having to buy a new Wii for DVD playback, won't users just find a way to play DVD's on the Wii?

Everyone please stop worrying about a Wii update this early. Knowing Nintendo, they will not be ass's and make us buy new Wii's for something that will be easily solved with a added channel with the software to play DVD's. In the first post speculating that they may upgrade the actual hardware, no... They would not do this, as all it would do is cost them more money, and then it would be useless to game devolopers anyways as they would want there games to work well on Wii's, so they would devolop games designed for the lower end Wii. All this would cause is more heat, more energy, more money.

CaliforniaBeachUSA said:
But then again when they update the DVD drive to start reading DVD's forward, then...What happens to the Wii Games?

Well my guess would be is that they would add a DVD channel, and ounce you go into the channel and you insert a disc, the Wii would read the DVD forwards, and when that channel is not active, all discs would be read backwards.

CaliforniaBeachUSA said:
Good link. But...If that occurs and previous Wii users get mad about having to buy a new Wii for DVD playback, won't users just find a way to play DVD's on the Wii?

Read/Write heads in a drive aren't controlled by the firmware. This is a 100% hardware thing.

And if you get pissed about it you are dumb, because they made this announcement a month prior to the wii even being launched. Your bad for not waiting for one? Or go to wal-mart with $40 dollars and buy a dvd player.

I agree, your better off with a standalone DVD player anyways. Wouldn't you rather have one that can do DTS, and all the other digital audio formats? I'm not sure if Nintendo will add them, if they do they will have to charge extra so they can pay off the licensing fee for them.

personally I always called all my friends who used ps2's as there primary dvd player for there living room as being "ghetto" anyways.

Back