Newbs/Noobs/Noobies

WiiDS said:
This is by far the most idiotic topic I've seen on here.
Hence the reason it's in off topic, I think "newb/noob" are the same thing personally only time I've ever used it was to quote someone else. I glanced of a lot of the posts and I'm going to have to agree with whoever said that its alright to call someone a "newb/noob" if they made a "rookie" mistake in regards to policies of the forum, but just because they don't know how to do some things on a game, doesn't mean you need to bash them. I really could care less about this "newb/noob" nonsense, but essentially you people who have just joined in the past month or two, you're new members no matter how you slice it unless you spend a ridiculous amount of time on here, you're not going to know a lot of policies and in general how things work around here. Also if you have 1000 posts after a month you have either a lot of knowledge and you post on almost every thread, or you like to spam. Alright I'm done, feel the need to comment? Go for it.

Ahahaha, I have quite a lot to say on this matter, it appears.

I use this term, I even used it on my mum once when she was asking me what "ftw" meant. To me, it's something that basically won't go away. Personally, I think it's just what we consider when people are new to something and don't know all the tools of the trade, often leading to people creating threads that have been answered time after time on the forum.

Almost everyone fits into a noob category some way, you're always learning new things, and I'm new to college and keep asking people how to get around, with a freaking huge map by my side. If I see your age is below 14, then I would think that you can't be constructive and your sentences will lack structure. Which, is often the case, unless you're a freak genius. The english language is dying out on the internet because "I'm not in school." I declare if you're a noob or not by your grammar as well, I couldn't care less of how much you try to get the point across, if you can't spell you're out of here in my book.

Another thing, which people haven't seemed to have tackled is female gamers. Here we go, I'm going to dive straight into it. Being slightly stereotypical of me, I come across girl gamers in online play (I direct you to Mario Kart DS) and I will automatically think this is an easy win, because, for one, if they choose Peach I'm likely going to think they're 7 years old an borrowing their cousins DS or something and their stats are usually off the charts with losses. I'd like to see everyone's response to that. :p

Now, another thing, if you somehow managed to poorly decorate your username I will dismiss you and think you're a noob. Also, a lot of things that seem fanboyish I just laugh at. For example, if you put hearts and smiley faces in your username that's just plain stupid. Plus, if you link me to your MySpace in a signature I'll think you're a noob for I absolutely hate MySpace.

Now, I'll just be sitting here waiting for an argument to flare up around me as usual, but I'd be happy to defend myself.

When i first join this Forum, a member told me that a Newb is someone that makes obvious mistake but is new to the subject, a noob is someone that makes obvious mistake but is old at the Subject.

From Wikipedia:

"Newbie" can be used as an term to identify newcomers to a game, place, or organization. The variant spellings of "newbie" are also used, especially in online games, as a catch-all insult regardless of the recipient's actual skill or experience. Someone who acts like a "newbie," but isn't one would be referred to as one of the variant spellings. The variant "noob" has become common in spoken English in parts of New York City and New Jersey as a substitute for the word dude.[original research?] Alternate spellings include "newb", "n00b","N00B","noob", and "nub". These alternate spellings of the term, other than "newb," inherit the definition of "newbie" but are generally used in a derogatory manner to indicate uselessness because of the ignorance associated with being a newcomer.

In online gaming, a greater distinction may be made between a 'newb' and a 'noob'. The common consensus is that a newb is someone who through their very nature of being a new player is inexperienced and naive to particular gaming mechanics or etiquette, whereas a noob is a player that is generally considered to be experienced, yet often makes mistakes or solecisms that would more likely be attributed to a newb.

There are a multitude of words that have emerged from the original 'Newbie', each with their own meaning and origins. There are such terms like 'nubcakes' or 'nubotron' which emerged from generally gamers expressing their anger of success with their fellow players. The general rule is to use the nub- or noob- stems in order to create specific insults or expletives, as in nooblet, or nubcracker.

Newbie and the alternate spellings are often used for one of two different meanings. Newbie is usually used to refer to a new person who has recently joined the group of bored, and is a rank default on InvisionFree forums. Several alternate spellings and occasionally the original word, are used to refer to a member who is generally unwanted or unliked in the community, and is often used as part of Trolling or Flaming.

As for the topic, just because you have a higher post count dosen't mean you have the right to call someone else a n00b! :yesnod:

Eagles said:
As for the topic, just because you have a higher post count dosen't mean you have the right to call someone else a n00b! :yesnod:

You noob I do the Wikipedia quoting. :p

An Example of a Noob would be like me an almost one year Wiichat Member saying " when is Brawl comming out" as for a Newb would be someone that recently bought a wii and joins a forum and ask the same question

Calling people a noob could be a lot worse, you know. It could be someone someone mouthing off cursing trying to act cool. Then, they're a total idiot, but everyone was a noob once on this site, so it is bad in a way, and it is not.

I believe there is no defintion to noob, newb, noobie. people have different defintions of the word. some would just say a noob is a new person, some would say a noob is a foolish person. there is no reason to discuss this because it is slang and there for having different defintions depending on your culture. I have a friend that plays WoW and he says a noob is a person who asks a lot of questions or doesnt know what they are doing. My definition of noob is a new person that does'nt know as much as other people who are familier with the subject. so, end of discussion. noob, newb, and noobie are slang words that pretty much mean the same thing but depends on a person's definition what they meen.

Does anyone actually care? I really wouldn't be offended if I was called a newb, noob OR noobie. Really, it's a term rarely seen in real life. Is it really going to affect you that much? If so, get a life.

The only thing that's wrong with this is that older members shouldn't be insulting newer/younger members for seeking help; (even though the insult itself is stupid).

You were a newb/noob once too.

Yes, we were n00bs, and we got ridiculed.

Some think of it as hazing almost...in it's weird way.

I only call friends n00bs...as a joke...

I'll tell someone to use the search function in the future, with a link to a similar thread found in said search.

Oh yeah, LOL @ this thread

AndThen? said:
Does anyone actually care? I really wouldn't be offended if I was called a newb, noob OR noobie. Really, it's a term rarely seen in real life. Is it really going to affect you that much? If so, get a life.

The only thing that's wrong with this is that older members shouldn't be insulting newer/younger members for seeking help; (even though the insult itself is stupid).

You were a newb/noob once too.
I really wouldn't care and you're right no one says n00b or Phail in real life, unless they have no life and they have a second life online or something.

i dont real care ether but if they say something like this
atleast im not a n00b like you

then that makes me sad because they think there the best

Brawny said:
Yes, we were n00bs, and we got ridiculed.

Some think of it as hazing almost...in it's weird way.

I only call friends n00bs...as a joke...

I'll tell someone to use the search function in the future, with a link to a similar thread found in said search.

Oh yeah, LOL @ this thread

GTFO NOOB.

I know people that say noob in real life and I think you shouldnt use it to insult someone online but if you say in real life I think its sad. The other day in my R.E class my teacher and a student were debating over something and when the teacher won someone shouted out 'pwned':sick:

Back