Nintendo Considering Voice Chat Says Reggie

samXcor3

the best kid!
Oct 2, 2007
Wii Online Code
3732-3369-2853-4491
This is from IGN(source at bottom):
IGN said:
December 14, 2007 - The Nintendo Wii is currently the only gaming system unable to give players the ability to voice chat over the internet. Though a few games have been released on the Wii featuring online play, none allow players to converse through them. It's a frustrating limitation.

During a question and answer session in a Nintendo conference call this morning, Reggie Fils-Aime addressed this issue.

According to Fils-Aime, the system is clearly capable of this function, and Nintendo is constantly adding and tweaking features of the Wii system through system updates. The issue boils down to locking down the specific technologies and getting the specific peripheral to allow voice chatting.

Fils-Aime noted that, since Nintendo found this tech and peripheral on the Nintendo DS, he "wouldn't be surprised at all" if the feature appeared on Wii. "It's something we value and constantly look at."

Source:http://wii.ign.com/articles/841/841550p1.html

Ugh. I hope it's employed whether sooner or later for Brawl:/ it would be a disappointment if it werent included.

What I don't understand is why now? Why didn't they take care of that before releasing Wii. I wonder if they were like "omg voice chat, that thought never occured to me. What about a simple friends list? OMG, You're soo right! Thats the best idea ever!"

I applaud Nintendo if they do it, but damn they can be really clueless seriously...

I think it will come out with Smash Bros Brawl, or at least it better, or else they will have to seriously have to explain why it was delayed.

T3kNi9e said:
What I don't understand is why now? Why didn't they take care of that before releasing Wii. I wonder if they were like "omg voice chat, that thought never occured to me. What about a simple friends list? OMG, You're soo right! Thats the best idea ever!"

I applaud Nintendo if they do it, but damn they can be really clueless seriously...

Maybe they didn't have intentions of having games like Brawl where a headset would be great to use etc.

Then someone must have realized that one would be great on the Wii, and I agree..having it before would have been a lot better.

Dang...i so wished they had made a headset in time for MOH: H2...oh well...the game is still complete orgasm =]

To me, any game thats online needs headset. Its more fun talking to people and if its a game that involves teamwork, its really needed. Basically when you think online, you should think communications. Since a keyboard isn't as convenient as a PC game then it sucks when u have no headset.

and come on, I know everyone KNEW there would be another Super Smash Bros.

I know some things are good to "test the waters" so that you dont fully commit to something and have it fail, then it can really screw you up. But I dont think having the ability to voice chat has any risk in it to just make it. Even if you dont really know how many online games there would be. I doubt it would have risen Wii prices to have that either. PS2 had everything Wii has plus voice chat except Wi-fi and it also sold for $250 back in 2000.

and what genious came up with friend code's instead of actual ID's >.<
I wonder if Nintendo has too much pride that they dont want to look at other console's sucesses and use their ideas. Thats what sony did with their online, problem with sony is they made there console waay to costly and im starting to get off topic so ill stop here.

Some games will need it such as call of duty of medel of honor for the cooperative aspect of it.
Some games will be mad better because of it such as SSBB or DBZBT3 i mean who doesn't want to talk some smack or maybe even help some noobs with games such as these.
My final decision is that i hope nintendo makes it because i will buy it and use it even if it fails because i know i won't be the only one who will still use it.

I suspect they didn't think the Wii would be such a hit as it is. That's the reason there is a shortage everywhere. That is also why they probably didn't make a headset, it would have been useless if no one wanted to get off their lazy butts and play the Wii.

Fact of the matter is, headsets won't come till the child safety locks come off the online.

T3kNi9e said:
To me, any game thats online needs headset. Its more fun talking to people and if its a game that involves teamwork, its really needed. Basically when you think online, you should think communications. Since a keyboard isn't as convenient as a PC game then it sucks when u have no headset.

and come on, I know everyone KNEW there would be another Super Smash Bros.

I know some things are good to "test the waters" so that you dont fully commit to something and have it fail, then it can really screw you up. But I dont think having the ability to voice chat has any risk in it to just make it. Even if you dont really know how many online games there would be. I doubt it would have risen Wii prices to have that either. PS2 had everything Wii has plus voice chat except Wi-fi and it also sold for $250 back in 2000.

and what genious came up with friend code's instead of actual ID's >.<
I wonder if Nintendo has too much pride that they dont want to look at other console's sucesses and use their ideas. Thats what sony did with their online, problem with sony is they made there console waay to costly and im starting to get off topic so ill stop here.

If that was directed at me, I didn't mean that.
I meant maybe they weren't anticipating having it online at the start of Wii's release.

Back