Nintendo sells 10M Virtual Console games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Atomheart said:
<insert useless contradictory arguements that make no sense and make you look like...>

*sigh* you need help. You can take your VC games anywhere, you just take your Wii, you do own it, you have bought it. You do not own exclusive rights to it, no one said that's what they meant. Atom, be quiet.

@AOW you can't transport via SD unless they have the VC game in question.

As per the VC records, very nice indeed. I do agree that Wii will need to release an external hard-drive (or make current ones on the market compatible) to succeed as a lot of Wii fanatics are quickly running out of disc-space.

AoWFraggit said:
atomheart, type in "sd card" next time you're on google.

Can you put a VC game on a card and bring it to a friends house and play it? Can you transfer the VC game from one Wii to another? If you truly owned the game, don't you think you should be able to do that?

Heck, you can't even play VC games off of the SD card; they're just for backup.

261311 said:

*sigh* you need help. You can take your VC games anywhere, you just take your Wii, you do own it, you have bought it. You do not own exclusive rights to it, no one said that's what they meant. Atom, be quiet.

@AOW you can't transport via SD unless they have the VC game in question.

As per the VC records, very nice indeed. I do agree that Wii will need to release an external hard-drive (or make current ones on the market compatible) to succeed as a lot of Wii fanatics are quickly running out of disc-space.

So if you actually own a VC game, what does that mean for actual game cartridges? Do you SUPER own them? Because you can't say that "owning" a VC game is equivalent to owning an actual game? Right?

Man, I forgot how infuriatingly difficult it can be to try to reason with children...

WOW sweet! I wonder what people are buying. Thats like two VC games for every Wii huh? Crazy... I know I'm having fun with it. I would blow the money on movies anyway so this is great. Looks like Wiiware better get rolling and some kind of solution for expanding the frig to a walk in freezer would be nice.

I'm not going to comment on the OWNAGE of a VC game.

WiitnessID said:
WOW sweet! I wonder what people are buying. Thats like two VC games for every Wii huh? Crazy... I know I'm having fun with it. I would blow the money on movies anyway so this is great. Looks like Wiiware better get rolling and some kind of solution for expanding the frig to a walk in freezer would be nice.

I'm not going to comment on the OWNAGE of a VC game.

It's actually 1 game per 2 Wii's. But I'm sure that it's primarily driven up by hardcore users who purchase the licenses to tons of VC games. I know that there is at least one person in the VC forum here who has purchased the licenses of pretty much every VC game...

Waste of money I say...but whatever.

Atomheart said:
So if you actually own a VC game, what does that mean for actual game cartridges? Do you SUPER own them? Because you can't say that "owning" a VC game is equivalent to owning an actual game? Right?

Man, I forgot how infuriatingly difficult it can be to try to reason with children...

I Own Three Different Ocarina of Time Variations... So Why Should I Buy The VC?

Cause It's Be Super Super Super Super Awesome.

Atomheart said:

I think you need the concept explained a bit..

Heres an example, if you buy a Windows Vista operating system you cannot put it on your PC and then take it to your friends house and install it on their PC (well you could install it but not activate it, which would make it totally useless) because you are not really buying the disk, you are buying a licence to use it on your PC only. VC games work in much the same way.

Hope that helps. :)

raisinghelen said:
I think you need the concept explained a bit..

Heres an example, if you buy a Windows Vista operating system you cannot put it on your PC and then take it to your friends house and install it on their PC (well you could install it but not activate it, which would make it totally useless) because you are not really buying the disk, you are buying a licence to use it on your PC only. VC games work in much the same way.

Hope that helps. :)

I agree. You do NOT own Windows Vista. You buy the license to install it. It is actually worded that way by Microsoft.

It's the same way with VC. You purchase the license to play VC games; you don't actually own them.

So, yes. You are correct. You seem to agree with me.

This is completely different from purchasing the actual game cartridge or a Wii game for that matter. You OWN that. It is yours with which to do what you please. You own it.

Atomheart ~

I know being cranky is sort of your shtick, but I *believe* you're also receptive to a reasonable conversation.

VC games certainly aren't rentals - that implies a recurring cost or you forfeit the right to use.

Their not some kind of lease because usage doesn't expire per some pre-determined contract.

Without question, the game - that is the code that allows execution on your Wii - is owned by you when you purchase it (along with the right to download it again and again). I think you're just getting caught up in the "DRM semantics". I bought a tuning package for my car - part of the right-to-use requires the system be registered to a single VIN.

It's no less mine because it doesn't run on another car - that's just the contractual agreement between me as the owner and the manufacturer (HPTuners, if you're interested :D )

10M is simply amazing. I figured the attachment rate for VC would be _low_, but they're cheap, they hit home with the older Wii generation (we picked up a couple of Mario games and have had a blast!).

[DT] said:
Atomheart ~

I know being cranky is sort of your shtick, but I *believe* you're also receptive to a reasonable conversation.

VC games certainly aren't rentals - that implies a recurring cost or you forfeit the right to use.

Their not some kind of lease because usage doesn't expire per some pre-determined contract.

Without question, the game - that is the code that allows execution on your Wii - is owned by you when you purchase it (along with the right to download it again and again). I think you're just getting caught up in the "DRM semantics". I bought a tuning package for my car - part of the right-to-use requires the system be registered to a single VIN.

It's no less mine because it doesn't run on another car - that's just the contractual agreement between me as the owner and the manufacturer (HPTuners, if you're interested :D )

10M is simply amazing. I figured the attachment rate for VC would be _low_, but their cheap, they hit home with the older Wii generation (we picked up a couple of Mario games and have had a blast!).

So, if you use the term "own" when referring to the result of purchasing a VC game, what term do you use for result of purchasing the actual game cartridge?

If you use the term "own" for VC games, then you certainly not use the same term when referring to actual cartridges. By doing so, you'd be assigning the same term to two different things with unique, exclusive characteristics, which completely defeats the purpose of even assigning things words, correct? Using the term "own" for both cases, would be like calling a puddle a lake (and a lake a lake).

Atomheart said:
So, if you use the term "own" when referring to the result of purchasing a VC game, what term do you use for result of purchasing the actual game cartridge?

If you use the term "own" for VC games, then you certainly not use the same term when referring to actual cartridges. By doing so, you'd be assigning the same term to two different things with unique, exclusive characteristics, which completely defeats the purpose of even assigning things words, correct? Using the term "own" for both cases, would be like calling a puddle a lake (and a lake a lake).

That's a bit of a spurious argument. You're suggesting that the word 'own' doesn't have a broad enough definition to accommodate both tangible and intangible possessions? Your example falls into several traps of simple logical fallacies.

I personally OWN two technology patents. They're only concepts, and do not have tangible representation, other than the legal documents which describe their content. By your assessment, I don't own them.

Per Cambridge:

Ownership is the state or fact of exclusive possession or control of property, which may be an object, land/real estate, intellectual property or some other kind of property.

Note how it's abstracted to deal with things that aren't necessarily corporeal. Welcome to the 21st century and get ready for much more in the way of "virtualized ownership" :D

Don't even try, DT.

The kid is blatantly trolling over the [quite easily understood] definition of a word. You're doing exactly what he wants you to do.

[DT] said:
That's a bit of a spurious argument. You're suggesting that the word 'own' doesn't have a broad enough definition to accommodate both tangible and intangible possessions? Your example falls into several traps of simple logical fallacies.

I personally OWN two technology patents. They're only concepts, and do not have tangible representation, other than the legal documents which describe their content. By your assessment, I don't own them.

Per Cambridge:

Ownership is the state or fact of exclusive possession or control of property, which may be an object, land/real estate, intellectual property or some other kind of property.

Note how it's abstracted to deal with things that aren't necessarily corporeal. Welcome to the 21st century and get ready for much more in the way of "virtualized ownership" :D

So you assert that one who purchases a VC game owns "exclusive possession and control of the property"? I'd argue not. Control of property as it relates to intangible objects would refer to intellectual property, which the VC would perhaps fall into. However, you cannot argue that the consumer of a VC game is the exclusive possessor and controller of that game, would you?

PS: Which logical fallacies, specifically, have I succumbed to. Now, I wouldn't want you to make unfounded claims, of which you have little understanding...

Yes, when you buy a a VC game, you are the exclusive owner of that COPY.

Just like when you buy a disk, you own that COPY.

Its not that difficult of a concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back