Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector Help

aparker2005

WiiChat Member
Jan 30, 2007
Hey everyone, I just got a Wii yesterday and registered on the forum. I am at college (UALR) and I'm trying to use my laptop as an internet connection. We have cable and wireless internet here. I installed the Wi Fi Connector and turned my Wii on and tried to connect. My laptop recognized me, and I "granted access" to let the Wii connect, but during the connection test, the Wii tells me it can't connect or that it can't find the USB Connector. I'm wondering if there is anything I'm doing wrong or anything I can do different to make this work? I'm really wanting to download some N64 and NES games! Any help would be appreciated..............Thanks!

people are having serious problems with USB connectors. i am using a wireless router and its great. no problems at all.

ye i had this problem but it works fine now, make sure all fire walls are down and make sure your connected to the internet on your laptop and if you need to, move your wii closer to the usb range

Im using a USB nintendo wi-fi connection and mine works perfectly. You just have to make sure that your have allowed access from your computer to your wii, and use the search option on the wii to find the access point. Just keep searching if your having trouble. Other then that i really can think why it wouldnt work. I have a nintendo DS so i ue them both, try and use something else to make sure that there isnt a problem with your USB.

try right clicking your internet connection icon (two computers flashing) click on open network connections, select your connection, click properties, click the advanced tab and turn on internet connection sharing

I keep getting error code 51040.........Unable to find Nintendo Wi Fi USB Connector. I disabled my firewalls and tried to enable Internet Connection Sharing, but I kept getting an error. The USB Connector is flashing, and the software recognizes my Wii, but it will just not connect to the internet. Anything else that could be wrong? Thanks!

FROM WWW.WIIERROR.COM

Try adjusting the "Channel" your wireless router broadcasts on. We highly recommend setting your wireless router to either channel 1 or 11. This can potentially increase the download speed.

Please make sure that your router is not on our list of incompatible routers. Click here to view the list of known routers that are experience shows are incompatible. If your router is listed, then it is likely not compatible with the Wii console's online connection. If your router is not listed as being incompatible, please proceed to step #2.

Verify that the proper Connection File (1, 2, or 3) is selected in the Wii System Settings. If you have multiple connection files setup, and you have recently received a system update, it is possible that the update has caused the Wii console to select a different Connection File. Click here for step-by-step instructions on viewing your connection settings.

Make sure that your network’s name (SSID) matches exactly to what you have entered in the Wii console's settings.

Log in to your router using the default IP (consult the router’s owner’s manual for assistance).

Look for the section for SSID (typically in the “wireless settings” area).

After you find the SSID (network name), verify in the Internet Settings of your Wii console that the SSID is appearing exactly as listed in your router. This includes making sure capitalization, spaces, or special characters match exactly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway turns out that most of my probs were caused by having a MAX DRIVE plugged in for Cube memory storage. Took it out...wifi works...plugged back in...it don't. I've tried this many times and wifi refuses to work with it plugged in. You get 51030 type messages...unable to connect to internet...or server.(via email, thanks Ade)

Thanks for that^^. I'm not using a router right now, just using the USB Connector, but I may be this weekend and that will help a ton!

if it's 52040 (which would make more sense) :

Try uninstalling the Nintendo Wi-FI USB Connector software, and re-install. For step-by-step directions, including a link to the latest software, click here.

Does your PC have any security programs (firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-adware, etc.) installed? If you are using the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector, and have a software firewall or other computer security program installed on your computer, there may be additional steps you must complete to allow a successful connection.
"Trusted" Applications:
If your firewall or PC security program keeps a list of trusted applications (also known as a "trusted zone"), the following programs are installed with the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector, and require internet communications. If prompted by your firewall or PC security program, add these to the list of trusted applications. This information may also apply to certain computer security applications, such as anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc.:

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connector USB (NintendoWFCReg.exe)
Setup.exe (when installing the USB Connector)
SoftAPInstDrv.bin
mdriver.exe

It is possible that your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is not compatible with the Wii console. For instance, if you need to login with a user name and password when you try to go online for the first time after restrarting your PC, your ISP is likely not compatible. Please contact your service provider for more information.

If you are still receiving this error code, it is likely that the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector is not compatible with your current home network.

I'd just like to thank no1cubehead and byuakuya for the info. I too was getting error code 52040, and with their point to the nintendo website, i downloaded the newer software, and it works great.

If your Wii Says it "cannot find the nintendo Usb connector" it's an easy fix. Move it closer to the Wii and make sure its aimed in its general direction. If it's pointing the wrong way it won't work. If it says it "cannot connect to the internet" then follow nintendo's advice to fix it. Once it's working it's nice, I have 1.

Back