online price

xpirate77

Wiiiiii
Oct 15, 2006
Does anyone have any idea about how much the price will be monthly for online play and such for the Wii?

Online play=FREE!!! and the wii will be $250

are you sure????...thats awesome if its trueee...

actually..incredibly awesome..
but are you sure?..

i dont mean to be a jerk, but could you show me where you found that?

I am positive its true.. I found out from everyone. I dont have the source but i know its been announced and official!

I am positive its true.. I found out from everyone. I dont have the source but i know its been announced and official!

ok..so im sorry, im a little misinformed, so...if i have cable internet, can i connect the Wii to it with a hardline?..or just wirelessly?..

and if i do it wirelessly, what additional hardware do i need to buy..

thanks for hangin in there for me on this one

i know these are prolly stupid questions..

For your first question:
Wii will be able to connect to the Internet through its built-in 802.11b/g Wi-Fi and through a USB-to-Ethernet adaptor, with both methods allowing players to access the established Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service. Nintendo has stated that Wii will implement standard Wi-Fi protocols. Just as for the Nintendo DS, Nintendo originally stated that they will not charge fees for playing via the service and the Friend Code system will control how players connect to one another.
Source

xpirate77 said:
ok..so im sorry, im a little misinformed, so...if i have cable internet, can i connect the Wii to it with a hardline?..or just wirelessly?..
Yes, you can connect Wii either way. If you want to connect it using a wire, you must have a Wii LAN adaptor, which you plug one end into one of the two USB 2.0 ports on back of Wii and the other ethernet part into your router.

xpirate77 said:
and if i do it wirelessly, what additional hardware do i need to buy..
You need nothing but a wireless router and internet connection to get Wii online this way.

xpirate77 said:
thanks for hangin in there for me on this one

i know these are prolly stupid questions..
You haven't asked any stupid questions. Don't worry what other people think. You're new and have questions, good questions. Hope to hear more from you.

I'd suggest checking out 101 Wii FAQ for other questions you may have, although parts of it need to be updated.

Last edited:
wow nate thank you so much..

that did clear up like 99% of everything

the last little bit, is the question..

this thing is going to function like idk, xbox live, where you're actually online and can play anyone you want..right?...its not gunna be anything dumb like, you can only play people around you..right?

xpirate77 said:
wow nate thank you so much..

that did clear up like 99% of everything

the last little bit, is the question..

this thing is going to function like idk, xbox live, where you're actually online and can play anyone you want..right?...its not gunna be anything dumb like, you can only play people around you..right?
Glad I could help.

Now, as for this last question, nobody really knows. Nintendo has said it's going to use the Friend Code system, but that each Wii will have it's own code rather than each game. If you don't know what the Friend Code system is, it's what the DS uses for online play and if you want to play with anyone, you'll need their friend code to play (it's like a 10-digit number for each game), this way Nintendo insures you won't play against people you don't know, which they think is good. Most people, however, want to play with random people, too. Nintendo has said they've heard complaints about the Friend Code system and thus will be modifying it. How they do that is unkown.

My guess: You're Mii will be like your Xbox Gamertag. If you don't know what a Mii is, it's a character you create on Wii that you can use in different games like WiiSports. This would make the most since to me. Then, you could start up a game and in the game's online lobby, you can challenge people to a game.

We'll learn soon enough when Wii finally launches.

xpirate77 said:
alright sweet, thank you

so just to clarify...i just need to get something along these lines
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...outer&lp=5&type=product&cp=1&id=1134699413343

right?..
lol and i promise this is the last question
Yeah, hold on just a second. There's a list on Nintendo's website that tells what wireless routers are compatible with the DS (and thus the Wii). Let me find a link to that so you can check to see if it's one that's recommended.

And feel free to continue asking questions. I'm personally going to bed soon, but there are other who can answer your questions. There's nothing wrong with not knowing something.:)

*EDIT*

Alright, go here to see what routers are compatible and what routers are really recommended and which one's just don't work at all.

Hope that helps.:smilewinkgrin:

**EDIT**

Just looked and that router is compatible and recommended. Go here to see.

Last edited:
sweet, alright well also..if im buying this router simply for the Wii, does the router have to be configured on a computer?..

or can i just hook up the router, turn it on, turn on the Wii....and it works?

seems to simple

xpirate77 said:
sweet, alright well also..if im buying this router simply for the Wii, does the router have to be configured on a computer?..

or can i just hook up the router, turn it on, turn on the Wii....and it works?

seems to simple
Yeah, as far as I know, it should work without the need to configure the router using the computer.

I thought that recently they decided not to go with the friend code system?

Back