Pause, Power, Parent

parent

WiiChat Member
Jan 2, 2008
Ever since the day my 10 year old son got his Wii we have been fighting over turning the bloody thing off. He will play it for hours and when I tell him to turn it off he screams because "I just started a battle and I can't save!"

My questions are:
1. Is there a way to pause or save games in progress? Does it work the same across all games? From what I've read on various forums it seems like "+" or home should pause most/all games. Is that correct?

2. If my son uses "+" or home to pause a game, then turns the tv off but leaves the Wii on, then doesn't come back to it for 24-48 hours, is that OK? Or does it hurt the Wii to be on for so long? From what I've read it seems to be OK to do that.

If some one could back me up here it will save a great deal of arguing in my home.

Thanks!!

1. It pauses the game but doesn't save, clicking the "Wii Menu" option returns you to the Wii Menu with no save.
2. Yeah, only kills the batteries.

Just repo the remote batteries, unplug some key element or something, maybe even do the "pause now" and rip out the AV cables and take em/ turn the console off.
Gawd, the Wii seems addicting xD

1. Yes, the home button should work at almost all times.
2. I don't like to leave the Wii on, for fear of overheating. Overheating with a Wii is very rare, but it can happen.

Wii's heat up more in standby than when they are on, so you don't need to worry about that. Often you can't save at anytime but you can easily pause.

Yes pausing will do you good.
As for saving, Try to "spy" on your kid and when he is about to save surpise him and tell him to save it xD

haha!
if it were my kid, i'd turn it off anyway (and ground him :lol:)

Here is the solution which will work with any game:

• Press the home key on any remote... it may have to be done twice if the first press wakes up the remote.
  • Then click on the remote menu at the bottom. (turns blue when you hover over it).
  • Then click on reconnect remotes to disconnect all active remotes (to save battery life).

No battery pulling is necessary for this method. And when he's ready to play again he can pick up his remote and press 1+2 (as described on the screen) to reconnect his remote and continue play (by pressing the home button again).

Do not turn off the Wii because this is a pause effect, not a solution to save his place.
Hope this helps!

idjut said:
Here is the solution which will work with any game:

• Press the home key on any remote... it may have to be done twice if the first press wakes up the remote.
  • Then click on the remote menu at the bottom. (turns blue when you hover over it).
  • Then click on reconnect remotes to disconnect all active remotes (to save battery life).

No battery pulling is necessary for this method. And when he's ready to play again he can pick up his remote and press 1+2 (as described on the screen) to reconnect his remote and continue play (by pressing the home button again).

Do not turn off the Wii because this is a pause effect, not a solution to save his place.
Hope this helps!
Wiimotes are automatically disconnected after about 5 or 10 mins of inactivity automatically :yesnod:

Time him. Tell him that he MUST turn off the Wii after one hour or he can't play for a week. Let him decide how to organize his playing time. If he knows when he needs to turn off, he will think AHEAD of time.

My theory is, play many times a day, but with short duration.

Oh yeah, I'm not a parent. But I hope to be a good one.

Last edited:
My first instinct would say to take it away from him whether he saves or not.

Then I think of me on MSN...so yeah...nevermind.

FRuMMaGe said:
Wiimotes are automatically disconnected after about 5 or 10 mins of inactivity automatically :yesnod:

the first remote that wakes up is player 1... :yesnod:

Hey everybody else!!! they're not asking for parenting or disciplining tips! They're asking if there really is a pause solution so they can call their kid out on the "no pause".

see, all you naysayers who got upset at microsofts parents controls were wrong.

as was said before. press the "home" button on any controller. then turn off the tv/change the input to cable or whatever, then leave the wii alone. the controllers will automatically turn off, and turn back on when the buttons are pressed readying to play again.
if the wii is reasonable ventilated (not cramped) the heating issue is basically null.

just so you know some games that have cut scenes don't allow you to pause during the cut scene(a small movie clip kind of thing in the game to progress the story), so if he's in one of those and he says he can't pause he isn't lying. Just so you know, i live with my roommate and her kid and she's yelled at him and he says he can't pause it and she yelled at him more for lying, then i had to tell her "no, he isn't lying, the game doesn't let you pause it till the scene is over." just so you can avoid that situation.

kyle

Back