PS3 is simply ahead of its time.

Shiftfallout said:
Rare was good. Anyone else a big fan of Conkers bad fur day? best game ever made .. maybe lol
Loved that game. And most other Rare games. Although never got to try Jet Force Gemini, but even ones like Blast Crops were brilliant.

Celestial said:
:eek: Rare! Didn't they make "Killer Instinct"? That game was amazing!
Yep they did. Also a game that incorporated the "Death Move". Only a handful of fighters did that, which is something I liked. It gave you that much more to fight for, to have a shot at performing the finishing blow. Probably would have liked Tekken and Street Fighter more if they would have had the same thing...

They did a whole host of games. Although they've had bad luck since going over to the Xbox. Haven't had quite the same success. It's a pity, cos Rare own the rights to the franchises, even though most of the people who produced the classics in rare are now elsewhere.

It was a bad move to sell their shares to Microsoft...

Last edited:
While Blu-Ray has about the same or slightly better cost per GB than current gen DVD, that only counts if they're filling the disc. For a 5 or 10 or 20GB game, it is still cheaper to manufacture multiple DVDs than a single Blu-Ray.

Shiftfallout said:
Rare was good. Anyone else a big fan of Conkers bad fur day? best game ever made .. maybe lol

As for MMs first game, it was rag doll kung fu found on STEAM. A popular downloadable game that uses the Half Life 2 engine and physics system.
Im a big fan of Conker's bad Fur Day, and yes it was the best bloody, bad language, disgusting, funny game out there on the N64! And it was one of the best games ever made by rare, on the N64!!!
But dont forget about Perfect Dark, and Also GOLDENEYE 007!
Now these i have to say are the best shooting games on the N64's life-cylce!

Single layer Blu-Ray capacity is 25GB. A dual layer DVD9 holds 7.95GB. One major replication plant is charging $1.30/disc for a SL Blu-Ray and $0.50/disc for a DL DVD9, both a 25,000 disc run. This puts the cost/GB at $0.052 on Blu-Ray and $0.063 on DVD.

So the breaking point is somewhere between 2 and 3 discs, or 16 and 25 GB. That is, it's more cost effective to put a 8-16GB game on 2 DVDs than 1 Blu-Ray, but more cost effective to put a 16GB+ game on a single Blu-Ray than 3 DVDs.

This doesn't take into account development, advertising, packaging, or the million other little costs that go into that $59.99 you actually end up paying for a game. In the end, the physical manufacturing difference isn't that great.

http://wesleytech.com/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-replication-costs-revealed/111/

The article is from February, so maybe costs have come down (although they'd come down for both, so that can't be a great big factor).

P.S. I used the single layer Blu-Ray in the figuring because it's in Sony's advantage. Making a 50GB DL Blu-Ray puts the breaking point at more like 4-5 discs.

Last edited:
123eman said:
even when hdtv does become standard in most home (which it might already be)

No...its not, you could not be more wrong with that statment

I think PS3's technology though highly impressive is not really needed in this generation. software manufacturers are already complaining about how expensive it is to make games these days so do I think a lot of them will Jump at going the Extra mile of of spending more money adding much more than they normally would for the PS3 definitely not, It will mostly be the first party games that will try and push the limit and then maybe Square Enix and PS3's Exclusives.Sony's Idea of a 10 yearlong console is just Bullsh!t technology changes way too fast and besides people are naturally conditioned to want the Next New thing. even if Microsoft Releases XBOX 720 or whatever in like 2011 and the PS3 looks just as good the new xbox720 will still more than likely get more attention than PS3.

markmanuel18 said:
and the PS3 looks just as good the new xbox720 will still more than likely get more attention than PS3.
I really doubt that will happen...unless MS pull as Nintendo with a Wii like system. The Xbox 360 looks as better then the PS3 right now, so i doubt the next system will look only a small bit better

I was just saying that to make a point that people will go for the next new thing.....Toss in a 360 enhance some features here and there that was not in the old generation and people will gobble up the Xbox720 down.

Last edited:
santo said:
First of all, yes, I am a Nintendo gamer. I have been since the 8-bit days. I don't like to call myself a fanboy, there are too many negative connotations to that term. I don't bounce from board to board spouting "ZOMG P$3 suXX0rz". I do, however, think Sony seriously dropped the proverbial ball this generation.

Don't get me wrong, the PS3 is a serious piece of hardware. I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm sure it's dozens if not hundreds of times more powerful than the Wii. This is exactly its problem.

First and foremost in Sony's ball dropage is the Blu Ray. Its inclusion resulted in short supplies, launch delays, and a hugely inflated price. Blu Ray, again, is a fantastic piece of technology. However, HDTV penetration still isn't that high. No one without an HDTV will see the benefit. Also, consumers are wary of buying into the technology while the format war rages on. While Blu Ray gives Sony a high definition title of some sort, it just isn't needed at this time.

The main advantage over current generation DVD is the storage capacity. Okay, so we can have 50GB games now. And...? No game comes anywhere near that, and probably won't for at least a few years. They don't need it. Look at Gears of War: 4.7GB. And that game is beautiful. And while the Blu Ray drive offers better capacity and graphics, it is still a relatively new technology. The result: a 2x drive that gives snail-like loading times.

Leaving out Blu Ray could have cut $200 from the PS3's price. Hell, I would have been tempted to buy one at $300.

The Blu Ray also cost Sony delays... upwards of a year depending on the market. The delay cost Sony exclusives and gave Microsoft a yearlong head start.

So what should Sony have done? Slapped a current generation DVD drive in that puppy, ditched HDMI for component, and called it the PS2.5. Give us Blu Ray in 3 years when it will make a difference.
Im sorry but im gonna have to disagree with you, because this kind of crap happen to the ps2, just because the ps3 is way back in sales, doesnt stop it from coming back from the back of pack with the other consoles such as the 360 and wii, now im a wii-fan but i also like the ps3 even though i like the wii more, im pretty sure the ps3 can make a comeback without a shout of a doubt, they've been through this before, and plus this is only the begining, they have all the time in the world, to think of something!! Which im sure they will, what im saying in short words is "Dont count out the ps3 just yet!"

CyanRussel said:
Im sorry but im gonna have to disagree with you, because this kind of crap happen to the ps2, just because the ps3 is way back in sales, doesnt stop it from coming back from the back of pack with the other consoles such as the 360 and wii, now im a wii-fan but i also like the ps3 even though i like the wii more, im pretty sure the ps3 can make a comeback without a shout of a doubt, they've been through this before, and plus this is only the begining, they have all the time in the world, to think of something!! Which im sure they will, what im saying in short words is "Dont count out the ps3 just yet!"
That's all very well and good having the parallel with the PS2, but previous success does not prove future success. The PS3 cannot be written off yet because we cannot tell the future. However, we generally can only speculate based on information available. To this extent, we see the PS3's sales being heavily down and the Wii's sales very much up. Anything else is just senseless conjecture.

Also note, PS2 had two quite poor rivals (relatively - I loved the Gamecube, but I can see why it's not as good a rival as the Wii is to PS3). The PS3 have two established rivals, that are already beating it by a very wide margin. Also, the price point is a very sore subject with a lot of people. When that goes down, HDTV gets more penetration and Sony gets some well recognised exclusives, then we may begin to see figures drop. However, the Wii may prove too much still, despite what some think of it (Fad, impulse buy etc...)

they have all the time in the world, to think of something!! Which im sure they will, what im saying in short words is "Dont count out the ps3 just yet!"
IMO Sony better be thinking of a $200 price(ya I know they are already selling it at a price cut but they need to cut it more) cut the sooner they do it the better their chances are at surviving this generationI want a PS3 as well but for $600 it's going to take at least 6 excluvises that i am really interested in to get it at that price. so far only final fantasy 13. Projecting the sales If sony keeps selling at this rate by the time they sell 5 million consoles the Wii will be at 15 million.

Lair
Motorstorm
White Knight Story
DC Online
FFXIII
LittleBig Planet
PlayStation HOME
Metal Gear Solid 4
Devil May Cry 4

You see there has got to be some you are interested in

Back