Rare Games on Virtual Console

if it wrent for microsoft pcs whouldnt be as popular (no windows)
and wed be all on lunix

To have perfect dark on the V C nintendo will need premission from rare and current the bond licence holder who i think is Actrivision and the same with GoldenEye 64.
The donkey kong series will still be on the V C as they are licenced by nintendo.
I also hate microsoft because they market their consoles the wrong way and the wrong way being by having shows and lots of advertising about the 360 and i use Linux gnome.

Last edited:
Gerudo Warrior said:
To have perfect dark on the V C nintendo will need premission from rare and current the bond licence holder who i think is Actrivision and the same with GoldenEye 64.
The donkey kong series will still be on the V C as they are licenced by nintendo.
I also hate microsoft because they market their consoles the wrong way and the wrong way being by having shows and lots of advertising about the 360 and i use Linux gnome.

Which Linux do you use? I tried Ubuntu for a bit, but I switched back to Windows.

Gerudo Warrior said:
I use Ubuntu did you try it on the live c-d or put on and then take it off.

I jumped straight into it. I thought about using the Live CD, but I decided not to. My Windows was INFESTED with viruses/spy/adware, so I needed something to use while I obtained another copy of Windows. They have a really nice interface, better than Windows.

run_@w@y said:
actually from what i no, nintendo sold rare, because of serious debt problems
bzzzz wrong answer rare was never owned by nintendo it was 2nd/3rd party and then microsoft bought it up

that being said i think they can work out a deal like the vc gets rare games of the past and xbox live gets like excitebike and ice climbers lol. i donno but if they dont reach an agreement you can look forward to a court battle that will probably end up with nintendo getting the rare games but paying royalties on each one sold on the vc

Here's some of the facts on Rare. I'll pull up some interesting stuff for everyone:

Interesting bit
wikipedia said:
However there was an incident that would explain why they grant very few interviews; and in particular, mistrust the TV media more than most. In the early '90s when Gamesmaster was one of Channel 4's biggest shows, there was understandable interest in profiling what went on inside Rare's walls. However Bad Influence, a rival show — aimed for a much younger audience — was also keen to film a piece on the company. In not wanting the hassle of having two separate TV crews come and visit, Rare's management came up with a plan. They would grant a filming request only to Bad Influence, on the provision that the show would then provide Gamesmaster with selective clips of what they filmed.

The plan however backfired when Gamesmaster's producers took great offence in losing out to an "inferior production". Dominik Diamond was always know as a provocateur and as such insisted in vocalising his irritation in the way his show had been shunned. Being a writer as well as the presenter, he insisted in describing Tim and Chris Stamper as the "Physically unattractive Stamper brothers" in his voice-over. Since the broadcast of this "edgy" piece to an audience of three million viewers, Rare have turned their back completely on the broadcast media. It’s ironic that Rare probably favoured Bad Influence over Gamesmaster because the former show was known for being more obsequious in its editorial tone.

What's unfortunate about this attitude of not embracing the broadcast media: Rare has arguably lost out on the sort of favourable coverage that the likes of Aardman Animations has received for many years. Rare is in the same league of being a UK creative success story, but has chosen to stay well out of the spotlight.
I remember both shows.
wikipedia said:
The "TEAM Consolevania" taunt
Consolevania's intro graphic, at the start of their challenge piece, where they take Rare to task for having become a shadow of their former selves.In the June 2006, episode 2.6 of Consolevania featured a segment[4] in which the show's team members put out a challenge to the studio to have a Square-Go with them, up in Glasgow.

The main reason for the challenge was based around the team's anger in how the studio had changed for the worst, and that after a great legacy of producing classics like Atic Atac and Blast Corps, they're now responsible for sub-standard releases like Perfect Dark Zero.

The piece was comical in nature, featuring schoolyard name calling such as an on-screen caption of STAMPERS GRAB YOUR PAMPERS; while also theorising that the wives and partners of staff at Rare are less attractive that those of the team at Bungie. However within all this, the following monolgue (delivered by Ryan Macleod) brutally expresses the feelings and dismay of what fans feel has happened to the studio:

"I used to have respect for you Rare! I loved your games! But you went all fat cat on me! Giving it all that (simulates fellatio on the microphone he's speaking into) to Bill Gates. What ever happened to you?"

Ryan Macleod providing a visual metaphor of how he perceives Rare's current attitudeThe date, time and place for when this Square-Go was to happen was set for the 24th June, at 11am in Glasgow's Kelvingrove Park. To date, the team behind Consolevania have never mentioned if anyone from Rare showed up and if so, what happened. However it is highly likely that after Codemasters failed to attend the previous challenge, that neither Tim Stamper, Chris Stamper or any of their staff bothered to show up.

Rare is only the second studio to date to have warranted such critical attack from the production. The earlier one (from episode 2.3) that was issued to Codemasters never made allegations that their games output had suffered drastically. This piece was certainly more along the lines of absurdist comedy, rather than having vitriolic and justified critism as its main focus.

Team members of Consolevania had already inferred they were unhappy with the studio's recent output, after a decidedly negative review of Kameo: Elements of Power on their BBC Scotland show VideoGaiden. The piece could certainly be viewed as a J'Accuse against the management at Rare, for having betrayed their once sizeable fanbase.
260px-CV2.6_grab1.jpg
280px-CV2.6_grab2.jpg
Well, to be fair, they haven't had the massive successes that they recieved with Nintendo.
wikipedia said:
Up from the end of 2000 people from Activision and Microsoft visited Rare. In November 2001, Microsoft trademarked the name It's Mr. Pants, the name of a game which was released three years later. In September 2002, the Stamper brothers sold their 51% interest in Rare to Microsoft; following this, Nintendo sold their 49% stake in the company as well. Microsoft paid a total of $377 million for the company. Because of this, Rare is now a first-party developer for Microsoft's Xbox and its successors. The trademarks of the characters from the games that Rare made for Nintendo consoles (such as Conker of Conker's Bad Fur Day) were retained by Rare (apart from IP originally developed by Nintendo, i.e. Donkey Kong and Star Fox). Despite the acquisition, Rare still develops games for Game Boy Advance, and is now also developing for the Nintendo DS. Rare has never developed for Sony platforms.
51% already sold to Microsoft, no wonder Nintendo sold their share - Microsoft could choose to vito anything it wanted. $377 million? Now what would be justice, is if Microsoft decided to sell Rare back to Nintendo at a much lower price.

think we should buy some shar of rare yes we all use our mind controller then sell the shares to nintendo for a wii a piece and they get rare and we get a wii how bout that

Back