Rechargeable Batteries cant be used with wiimote?

vagrant said:
Perhaps you should test with non rechargeable batteries before posting the story...

before using rechargeable batts, i used non rechargeable batts and my wii motes worked fine. srry for the incomplete info.

Last edited:
i suggest you guys just go out and buy rechargeable batteries. the ones not meant for the wii.

i got sony NiMH with lcd indicators recharger and 4 NiMH 2700 for like 24 bucks. it's online and i think those are a better deal. those rechargeable batteries that's made for the wii won't last forever. they do fail after a certain number of charges.

oh and it's okay to use NiMH batteries. nintendo has stated that it's okay.

source - http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=wii_tech&message.id=7755

"What kind of batteries does the Wii Remote use?
The Wii Remote comes with 2 non-rechargeable alkaline AA batteries. Rechargeable batteries may be used with the Wii Remote. Nintendo only recommends NiMH (nickel metal hydride) rechargeable batteries for use in the remote."

Last edited:
this is stupid, I have used Duracell and Energizer AACU rechargeable batteries in my wii remotes from the day I got my Wii 8 months ago and I have never had one problem or any kind of malfunction with my Wii.

I dunno, I got the Nyko set just because I like having the charger stand (I'm lazy). No problems thus far. I actually love the battery cover that came with em too, feels nice to the touch. lol.

The only reason I can think of not to use rechargeable batteries is that they will oxidize quicker than alkaline if you forget about them and just let your wiimote collect dust.

im gonna get a nintendo wii does the remote use aa batteries? i am only askin this question because i hav only been on a wii once

ryan_saint said:
im gonna get a nintendo wii does the remote use aa batteries? i am only askin this question because i hav only been on a wii once

Yea. We recommend getting some NiMH rechargeables though.

supermandudekid said:
i was looking in the manual for something on batteries and came across something saying:

Use only alkaline batteries
Do not use: and it lists all the various rechargeable batteries (NIMH) (Lithium)

this is my first post so i hope this hasnt been asked before or that im putting this in the wrong place but has there been any problems with anyone using the rechargable batteries just wondering before i put them in my wiimote that eats up batteries :/

The problem with using rechargeable battery's in anything, is the voltage. rechargeable batts run @ 1.2v per unit, alkaline batts run @ 1.5v. Though i have not moved to rechargeable packs yet, as there are some for sale. i would guess that the packs, switch to a different, protected, circuit. something that ordinary rechargeable's can not do.
Have a look for the rechargeable packs, selling for about £13.

put simply, rechargeables have a lower voltage, this can lead to the finer control being lost, also rechageabls deliver their stored power much faster than alkalines do. potentially leading to premature component failure. that said, often nothing goes amiss even if you do use them. my thoughts though on the wii remote are, its too sensitive to risk the use of home charge batts. though the aforementioned rechargeable packs, should be fine.

Last edited:
I've been using rechargables for 7 months now and it hasn't caused me any problems. Like Lee said, maybe Duracell paid off Nintendo :shifty:

Back