Ridley in Brawl.

Mingus said:
Ok, first picture Mario is only have the size. second, only 3 times the size. third a head taller and Mario would be his size. All of these images display the typical difference slightly varied in SSB and SSBM and SSBB to come. Ridley is much larger.

Review_SuperMetroidRidley.png

Now here Ridley is twice as tall as one of the tallest characters, Samus. Samus is twice as tall as Mario.

200px-Metaridleydoesbattle.jpg

This is from Metroid prime. We all know how large Ridley was in this game. this isn't the best picture but you get the idea. Ridley would either be a massive character or sadly sized down into what I stated early, I big metal lizard.

Well the last pic is META ridley. The one I want in brawl is the ORIGINAL ridley. And if there were two ridleys in the game. One would be META ridley as a boss. And the ORIGINAL ridley would be playable.

read my post mingus

on melee ridly was the same size as samus

and thats probably what he will look like in brawl if hes a character

does everyone ignore me or something

i will find a picture of him from ssbm

Last edited:
bw! said:
read my post mingus

on melee ridly was the same size of samus

and thats probably what he will look like in brawl if hes a character

does everyone ignore me or something
No bw, you are one of the reasonable ones in this thread. I was just about to respond to one of your posts.

Last edited:
I looked at that picture. I watched the short clip. He's not the same size as Samus, or is he??? See you can't tell how big he is there. To me he still looks very large.

i mean, come on guys, don't get me wrong. I'd flip if Ridley was in the game. I'd be interested if he were, just to see how they established his moves. But I don't see how they could make him look right. When I picture him in the game being moderately toned down, size wise, he looks a bit ridiculous.

i1105714_samusridley.jpg

hmm hes about the same size as bowser on ssbb or probably 2 inches taller

sorry this picture is blurry

Last edited:
they could make him dark purple and red eyes and then he would be awsome

Wreked said:
I searched and I couldn't believe there wasn't a Ridley thread.

Ridley is one of my top wanted characters.

Now don't give many any boss or lanky crap. Read below for why.

'He's too big.'
Ridley's size is hardly an argument. Smash is meant to bring fan-favorite Nintendo (mostly) characters into playable fighting form. As long as a moveset can be created for them then they are Smash-capable. Ridley size would not interfere with this. Bowser is a good example, as he has been much larger than Ridley ever has been in some games, but in other games (even Smash) he has been downsized to fit whatever role he is given. Ridley's role has always been as a boss. (an important one, at that) It's only natural for him to be large and imposing for this role. Ridley's role in Smash? To fight ofcourse! So he would be easily downsized so he could do so with the rest of the Nintendo all-stars.

'He would look awkward.'
Ridley is large and lanky, yes. But, that is just how Ridley is. It's part of his character. He could still be made to fight in the world of Smash quite easily. Donkey Kong has a huge head and long, large arms, but small legs in comparison. Kirby and Jigglypuff have tiny, stubby arms and huge feet tacked on their round bodies. Yet, all of these examples have proven Smash-worthy, have they not? He may look a little different from your average human-shaped fighter, but give him a chance.

'His design would be too hard to implement.'
Long head with huge powerful jaws. Great, mighty wings. Long, claw-tipped arms. Long, flexible pointed-tip tail. All part of the Ridley design. How could they implement all these great, fighting features you say? In Melee, that might have been very difficult. This is Brawl, however, and the recently confirmed Charizard throws this argument away. Charizard also follows the draconic design, so if they could make him work, then so too could they make Ridley.

'He would be an Assist Trophy.'
Ridley? An Assist Trophy? Let's look into what has been confirmed Assist Trophy material.

Hammer Bro. - A generic enemy of the Mario franchise.
Nintendog - Something to represent a very successful franchise that otherwise, could not have been represented in Smash. (Think of what critics would say about Smash if you were able to kick around a cute little puppy!)
Samurai Goroh - A rival of Captain Falcon. He was one of the first four F-Zero characters. Seems important enough to be playable, doesn't he? Not really... F-Zero hasn't really come along as a franchise as much as Metroid has recently. Main villains, like Black Shadow and Deathborn would be more likely if F-Zero were to get another representative. That is what Ridley is, a main villain.
Dr. Wright - Like the Nintendog, he is here to represent a series that was popular, but otherwise did not have enough going for him to make him playable.
Knuckle Joe - An enemy and helper character of the Kirby series. He's not important to the series, but is highly popular. Kirby is likely to be better represented this time around, with Meta-Knight and King Dedede joing him for Brawl. Knuckle Joe was likely just included as an Assist Trophy for his popularity.
Devil - A character from an old, popular game. He was included for the nostalgic effect, it would seem.
Andross (Old) - a floating head he may be very important and a last boss but in the end all he is is a floating head... nuff said.

Now, Ridley is not a generic enemy like a Hammer Bro or Knuckle Joe. He is an important part of the Metroid series; He gave Samus her motives for becoming who she is, basically. He's a highly important villain in a very popular series in need of representation, unlike Goroh. Unlike the Nintendog and Dr. Wright, he is capable of fighting, and his respective game(s) is not old. The Devil is there to represent an old popular game series, something Metroid is not.

So, from what can be gathered, Ridley is not Assist Trophy material.

'He would be a boss.'
Ofcourse he should be. That is what he always has been. Does this mean he should be unplayable? No way! Bowser and Ganondorf have also been bosses, but they are playable in Melee. (Ridley is often considered the 'Bowser and Ganondorf' for Metroid) The recently confirmed boss, Petey Piranha, is not important to the Mario series. He's popular yes, but not important. Meta-Ridley, the huge cybernetic Dragon of Metroid Prime would make a great boss, in fact. He could stay his huge size. And attack in the same method. Dropping bombs for players to catch and throw back at him. Once grounded, he would use his dash attack to try and knock away players. That is when you dodge, and attack him during Meta-Ridley's lag. If you don't cause enough damage, look out for his plasma beam! It could be quite intense! 'Classic' Ridley however, could also be an earlier 'boss' that you must fight and defeat. He would be like a normal playable character, though. (Although probably made heavier to make him more difficult) Only later will he return as the monstrous Meta-Ridley boss. You may notice 'Boss Fight' in the title of Ridley's theme. This is only the name of the song used in the games, the 'Boss Fight' there to show Ridley's boss status in his games.

'He isn't popular, and non-important to the franchise.'
Nothing is further from the truth! Ridley is shown to have a long history with Samus herself. Him being the one who led the space pirates on the invasion of her home, destroying it, and her parents, in the process. He has always appeared as a boss in most of the Metroid games. (All but two, Metroid II and Metroid Prime: Echoes) He is also very popular. In Sakura's poll, from what he allowed us to see, Ridley was mentioned four times; The same amount as Diddy Kong and Ike, both of which are confirmed playable. These polls were japan-only, a place where Metroid is not very popular, yet Ridley is still very well-known there, and he is wanted.

RIDLEY (Metroid Series):

First appeared in Metroid (NES)

STATS:

Weight: 4/5
Jump: 4/5 [jump four times + glide]
Strength: 3/5
Speed: 3/5
Size: 5/5
Agility: 2/5

--- Move Set ---

- (A) Normal Moves -

(A) Neutral: A claw swipe. [3 – 4%, med speed]
(A) (A) Neutral: A double claw swipe. [3 – 4% each, med speed]
(A) (A) (A) Neutral: A double claw swipe with an added lagging tail attack. [3 – 5% each, med-slow speed]
(A) Up: An upwards skull-bash. [4 – 6%, med speed]
(A) Down: A downwards claw swipe. [4 – 7%, med speed]
(A) Forward: A forward direction skull-bash. [5 – 6%, med-fast speed]
(A) Forward (A) Neutral: A forward pushing skull-bash with a flame attack. [8 – 11%, med speed]

- (A) Aerial Moves –

(A) Neutral: A mid-air claw swipe. [4 – 5%, med-fast speed]
(A) Up: Pushes wings upwards in a fast strike. [7 – 9%, fast speed]
(A) Down: A simple tail swipe in a downwards direction. [6 – 9%, med-fast speed]
(A) Forwards: A fairly slow moving wing attack. [7 – 10%, slow-med speed]
(A) Backwards: Ridley opens his powerful wings. [4 – 7%, med speed]

- (B) Special Moves –

(B) Neutral: Ridley spits out three medium-sized fireballs, each going slightly different directions. (Forward, diagonal up/down) [5 – 6 % each, med speed]
(B) Up: Ridley takes out wings quickly and propels himself in the air and the glides on his wings. NOTE: He can’t change gliding directions in mid-air. [7 – 10%, med-fast speed]
(B) Down: Smashes tail on the ground and creates a mini-wake around him (about the width of Kirby) which hurts anyone in that area. [10 – 14%, slow-med speed]
(B) Forwards: Space plasma attack. Spits out plasma like a Fire Plant, but instead of gradually growing weaker, it would gradually grow stronger. Ridley will become breathless shortly after reaching peak power, where he cannot use a Space Plasma or Triple-Fire attack for aprox. 3 seconds. [5 – 17%, med speed]

- (Z) Grab Moves –

(Z) Neutral: Grabs hold of opponent with claws. [1 – 3%, med-fast speed] {1}
(Z) Up: Grabs hold of opponent in mouth. [2 – 3%, med speed] {2}
(Z) Down: Grabs hold of opponent with tail. [1 – 3%, med speed] {3}
(Z) Forward: Spins around and captures opponent in wings. [1 – 2%, med speed] {4}

- (Z) Throw Moves –

(Z) Neutral: Slams opponent on ground. Use with {1}, {2}, {3}. [10 – 16%, slow-med speed]
(Z) Neutral: Spins opponent (stun one second) and flame them. Use with {4}. [12 – 16%, med speed]
(Z) Up: Throw opponent in air with force. Use with {1}, {2}, {3}, {4}. [6 – 12%, med speed]
(Z) Down: Puts opponent on ground and skull-bash. Use with {1}, {2}, {3}, {4}. [8 – 18%, slow-med speed]
(Z) Forward: Throws opponent far forward. Use with {1}, {2}, {3}. [11 – 16%, med-fast speed]
(Z) Forward: Throws opponent over head and flame them (stun one second). Use with {4}. [9 – 19%, med speed]

- Smash Moves –

Smash Forward: A swift skull-bashing attack with a tail strike. [20 – 27%, med-fast speed]
Smash Up: Runs in direction Ridley is facing and smashes wings open fast. [18 – 24%, fast speed]
Smash Down: Swings tail around from behind him in a clock-wise direction. [21 – 24%, med speed]

- Special Move –

Ridley shoots our both fire and plasma at the same time in a massive attack that reaches several body-lengths upwards and the direction he is facing. [30 – 45%, very fast speed]

EXTRAS:

Kirby Hat = His yellow eyes and wings
Alternate Costumes = Different colour combination (black & grey, blue & purple ect.)
Secret Costume = Meta Ridley costume
Character Intro = He flies down into the arena from above.
Stage = Ridley battle shaft. (Super Metroid) ‘OR’ Lab with Metroid Larvae (Super Metroid)
Taunt = Ridley looks up into the air and screeches.
Pose 1 = He flies up and swoops low to the ground.
Pose 2 = His eyes light up and he starts flapping his wings viciously
Symbol = Metroid Larvae

180px-Ridley_2.jpg

This is him in the more recent Metroid Prime 3.

More stuff why he should be in. Look at the new characters so far. Diddy, second on sakurai's poll. Ike tied for second. Who else is second? Ridley and Geno. So obviously Sakurai is paying attention to the poll.

And before you tell me he's too big. Tell me this.

How is this big?

ridleybig.jpg
im sorry but that ridley just looks so stupid and u know it does. thats not his original size. havent u seen him on ALL THE OTHER METROID GAMES WHERE HE IS WAY BIGGER THAN SAMUS? u cant say he's not too big based on ONE VERSION of him. all the other versions of ridley are big. thats only one version of ridley where hes small, and it hardly looks like him and he looks weak and fragile. see wat im sayin

they could make him that size but with alot of details and darker coloring
and better eyes hes eyes looked freakin weird on ssbm

I already tried telling him that, but he just says that Ninty will resize him, i guess i can agree with him a little, b/c Bowser is supposed to be way bigger than Mario....but was resized on SSB series...when he turns to Giga Bowser, thats bowser's normal size!!

(thats probly the only thing that ill agree with "Wreked" with.....hes right on that one)

I know that youll say that Ridely wouldnt even be Ridley when hes smaller, but hey....Ninty did it with Bowser, so why not Ridley>

yeah i agree with cyan

if anybody does not want him resized then they want even get to play as ridly

so stop saying no i dont want him resized because then you want even get to play as him

CyanRussel said:
I already tried telling him that, but he just says that Ninty will resize him, i guess i can agree with him a little, b/c Bowser is supposed to be way bigger than Mario....but was resized on SSB series...when he turns to Giga Bowser, thats bowser's normal size!!

(thats probly the only thing that ill agree with "Wreked" with.....hes right on that one)

I know that youll say that Ridely wouldnt even be Ridley when hes smaller, but hey....Ninty did it with Bowser, so why not Ridley>
Do my eyes decieve me. Is cyan auctually agreeing with me? See. So you agree with me on resizing then?

Shoko said:
im sorry but that ridley just looks so stupid and u know it does. thats not his original size. havent u seen him on ALL THE OTHER METROID GAMES WHERE HE IS WAY BIGGER THAN SAMUS? u cant say he's not too big based on ONE VERSION of him. all the other versions of ridley are big. thats only one version of ridley where hes small, and it hardly looks like him and he looks weak and fragile. see wat im sayin
I know he looks stupid. He was in the melee intro for like two seconds. I don't expect that to be a very awesome model. I'm saying that the people running smash are able to size ridley down to a reasonable size without totally destroying him. Yes I'll admit it would be a little weirder to see Ridley small but as long as he is in I don't care. And weak and fragile, that's how ridley is. Tall skinny.

Last edited:
CyanRussel said:
The bowser from Super Mario Galaxy...

so? that's the very first bowser, what's super mario galaxy in the long run, there's gonna be mario games after that....

this is the game that started it all, i think if we say anything about 'shrinking the size' of bowser, it should be this bowser,

if your excuse cause that's the newest game to date than it's not a very good point, seeing how bowser's not that bigger than mario in mario strikers charged...

bowser gets resized in every game he's in, it's just who bowser is, ridley is just always huge but wreked is right.....if anyone can make ridley a decent character in ssb it's sakurai......however let's not forget that this is sakurai's creation.....it dosn't matter what we think, it only matters what he thinks and if he thinks ridley would be a good addition to brawl....i personally always viewed ridley as a boss, and only a boss.....nothing else

Back