S-video or Component cables???

nikonuser

former xbox360 user
Aug 13, 2007
san diego
I've searched but didnt find what I was looking for...

Here's my question...
Will you see the difference (quality wise) coming from a regular cable to a S-video or Component cable? how good is the S-video compare to a Component cable or vice versa?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I would say it looks OK. I'm using the component cables on a 42" plasma. If you're playing on a standard TV that supports S-Video it might not be worth it. Isn't the Wii all about the fun-factor and not having incredible graphics? Hope this helps.

i have a question, will component cables reduce the lag that my plasma TV has whenever i hook up my wii and gamecube to it?
the lag is the reason i play my wii on a standard television (also, my parents won't put the plasma in my room :lol: )
so, is the lag because of the composite cables of the GC and Wii, or is it the TV?

Interesting. I've never experienced any lag. It could be either of your gaming systems (probably not) or the Plasma TV your connecting to. Check to see if your video output in the Wii System menu is set to the right ratio (it could help). I've only had problems with the Nyko rechargeable batteries and seemingly less sensitivity between the Wiimote and the sensorbar.

coming from xbox360... I know that IQ is better than the Wii... despite of being used to the graphics of the 360 I know that I could get nicer IQ out of the Wii, this morning went to gamestop and purchased a Wii component cable made by nintendo, plug it in and I wasnt dissapointed! better IQ color brightness and contrast are awesome... compare to AV cables that I had, feels like im playing again with my 360 except the Wii is more fun!!!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Just got a nice HD tv a couple of weeks ago. Got my PS3 running lovely through HDMI and the Wii is through component. I know the Wii looks a little dodgy with jaggies being more obvious and that but I have funny lines that are visible sometimes kinda like a grid. The times I can see them most are when i start up the internet channel and when I move the camera around and look at the sky in Twilight Princess. I've tried messing with the settings but can't get it looking quite right. Oh and RE4 looks terrible image is very grainy, much worse then my old SDTV. Any suggestions?

I would say go with component if you can. That way you can set the Wii to 480p mode, which would yield you 60FPS, vs 30FPS. Animation looks much much smoother.

@ Nicktendo86, what is the size of your TV?

I wouldn't get them. I got them because I got a new TV that only had one composite input that I needed for my cable box, but if given the choice I would use composite. Component makes it a lot clearer and sharper, but the downside is that it makes all the jaggies very noticeable so it looks like ****. I would rather have it be a little blurry than have extremely noticeable jaggies.

paintba||er said:
I wouldn't get them. I got them because I got a new TV that only had one composite input that I needed for my cable box, but if given the choice I would use composite. Component makes it a lot clearer and sharper, but the downside is that it makes all the jaggies very noticeable so it looks like ****. I would rather have it be a little blurry than have extremely noticeable jaggies.

So is it A LOT clearer and sharper? or only a little blury?... :wink:

I disagree, I think the added 30FPS for animation smoothness outweigh the jaggies.

toxigenic said:
I would say go with component if you can. That way you can set the Wii to 480p mode, which would yield you 60FPS, vs 30FPS. Animation looks much much smoother.

@ Nicktendo86, what is the size of your TV?

My TV is 26" toxicgenic. The VC games and Gamecube games look great on it its just parts of the Wii Menu and Wii games really that just look dodgy. I've played around with the settings but just can't get it right.

Back