SD Card

I've read you can watch movies from the SD card. I read it in a Tips and Tricks thread (probably on this forum, could have been another tho).

AFAIK VC games are locked to the Wii they were downloaded on, and all you can do with an SD card at this stage is either watch movies, or temporarly store VC games if you run out of room on the internal storage for more. You have to copy the VC game back to the internal storage tho to play them again.

I've got this old SD card that works on my phone and on my computer, but not on my Wii, anyone got any ideas why ? :confused:

Welcome to wiichat and enjoy your stay. Happy gaming.
I have a 2GB Kingston SD card which you can buy from Amazon.co.uk for less than £10.00. Thats a great deal and it works brilliantly.

Momenti said:
I've got this old SD card that works on my phone and on my computer, but not on my Wii, anyone got any ideas why ? :confused:

What Kind Is It? Is It A Micro/Mini? Cause That Won't Work... It Has TO Be A Standard-Sized SD Card.

can anybody please tell me if you can use a sandisk sd card for a camera to a wii, i dont want to try because i dont want to brake my wii.. :scared:

sandisk_sd_1gb.jpg

hey trevorsantos if your SD card looks anything like this it'll work fine in your wii

i recently bought four 1GB card for £5 each
only £20 in total

a 2Gb i got for £10

AlexDP said:
According to Nintendo, the Wii only recognizes SD cards with 2 GB capacity or less. So, a 4GB wouldnt work (supposedly). I'm not about to try though :p

i read somewhere that the wii can read upto 8GB cards

img_1090_ultra_ii_4gb_2.jpg

this looks pretty good

and SANDISK definetly works
sandisk-wii-sd.jpg

dreamcastninja said:
so is it possible to download vc games from the internet somewhere if they have figured that out, copy them to an sd card and then run em on your console?

No, unfortunately, VC games are tied to the console they were downloaded on. You can copy it onto the SD card, but it will only work on the same console that it was copied from.

@ lilg: No, only 2 GB and less will work, read from Nintendo here: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/sdCards.jsp#purchase
Its the first bullet point, and reads:

Nintendo Customer Support Site said:
Not all SD Cards are compatible with the Wii console. Please read the following:

The Wii console is only compatible with SD Cards that are 2 GB (Gigabyte) or less. Cards with a capacity higher than 2 GB will likely not work with the Wii console.

trevorsantos said:
can anybody please tell me if you can use a sandisk sd card for a camera to a wii, i dont want to try because i dont want to brake my wii.. :scared:

Yes, I've tried a 512MB SD card from my camera and it works just fine. As others have mentioned, any standard SD card will work (up to 2GB) on the Wii.

Back