Sega Dreamcast VC?

bangulo said:
it has nothing to do with compressin algorithm just most games didn't exceed 700mb

A fair chunk of them do when you rip them off a GDROM. SEGA had 1.2Gb to play with so their was no need to compress games smaller than that. Therefore there are a good number of Dreamcast games that are bigger that 700Mb because of the compression algorithm. This means that you don't have to remove video or anything to make them smaller. All you do is compress them more efficiently and you can get most of them under 700Mb

Ikaruga is a game I play alot on the Dreamcast. It is around 850Mb and I managed to burn it onto a 700Mb CD-R no problem without removing anything.

bangulo said:
Saturn and Dc are laser disk and also a generation up.

Wrong on two counts. Saturn games are on CDROMs and Dreamcast games are on GDROMs. Neither of which is a laser disk.
Also, only the Saturn is a Generation up. The Neo Geo console was a 4th Generation console (16 Bit consoles)
The Saturn was 5th Gen (32/64 Bit consoles) and the Dreamcast was 6th Gen (128 bit consoles)

bangulo said:
the only way i see these games being emulated is if you have to insert an actual cd or use of an external hard drive. or if all game audio and FMV's where stripped

That makes no sense. Emulation is not just about fitting the stuff on a disc or HD. For the Wii to play Dreamcast games it would have to use Software emulation (The Wii doesn't have the Dreamcast chipset inside it).
This means that the Wii processor has to emulate the Dreamcast hardware and Software emulation of hardware is NOT very efficient what-so-ever.
It tends to be 2 Generations behind.
This means that it could, in theory, be possible to emulate Saturn games but emulation of Dreamcast games is just not going to happen, at least not until quite late in the Wii's life when developers know how to fully take advantage of it and maybe not even then.

Cabe said:
A fair chunk of them do when you rip them off a GDROM. SEGA had 1.2Gb to play with so their was no need to compress games smaller than that. Therefore there are a good number of Dreamcast games that are bigger that 700Mb because of the compression algorithm. This means that you don't have to remove video or anything to make them smaller. All you do is compress them more efficiently and you can get most of them under 700Mb

Ikaruga is a game I play alot on the Dreamcast. It is around 850Mb and I managed to burn it onto a 700Mb CD-R no problem without removing anything.

Wrong on two counts. Saturn games are on CDROMs and Dreamcast games are on GDROMs. Neither of which is a laser disk.
Also, only the Saturn is a Generation up. The Neo Geo console was a 4th Generation console (16 Bit consoles)
The Saturn was 5th Gen (32/64 Bit consoles) and the Dreamcast was 6th Gen (128 bit consoles)

That makes no sense. Emulation is not just about fitting the stuff on a disc or HD. For the Wii to play Dreamcast games it would have to use Software emulation (The Wii doesn't have the Dreamcast chipset inside it).
This means that the Wii processor has to emulate the Dreamcast hardware and Software emulation of hardware is NOT very efficient what-so-ever.
It tends to be 2 Generations behind.
This means that it could, in theory, be possible to emulate Saturn games but emulation of Dreamcast games is just not going to happen, at least not until quite late in the Wii's life when developers know how to fully take advantage of it and maybe not even then.
I know sega saturn games are cd rom and dreamcast are GD i was say laser disk meaning an optical medium. ill correct my self laser disk technology was used in games like dragons lair.

also i am not sure if the IBM processor is a risc proscessor or not but that would help emulate it

sagema said:
It's possible. But it would be in CD format only. Most DC games were larger than the entire Wii hard drive (I'm not calling it a flash drive). Since Nintendo is adding Neo Geo, Saturn and DC games are possible.

Otherwise Microsoft will do it. I hear they will get Castlevania SOTN for the 360. A PS1 game on the 360. Man Sony you messed up.

Neo-Geo used cartridges, you're thinking of Neo-Geo CD....

So you can't exactly use that as proof DC and Saturn games can work.

quake and chu chu rocket.....that would rock.

sadly, it's unlikely...

bangulo said:
also i am not sure if the IBM processor is a risc proscessor or not but that would help emulate it

It is a RISC processor as are most consoles and a RISC processor wouldn't really be much of a help for emulation due to the lack of commands.
A games console can be RISC because its doesn't need to be compatible with older games and stuff.
PC's are CISC because you want a game you bought a year ago to continue working on your modern PC. As such most processors in PC's will have the instruction set from processors dating back to the 80's.

RISC processors will not have a large selection of commands and so for it to emulate a DC game through hardware they would need to Microprogram Dreamcast instructions directly onto the chip.

If you want an efficient chip that can run things designed for multiple systems then you would not make it a RISC processor, you would make it CISC.

Cabe said:
It is a RISC processor as are most consoles and a RISC processor wouldn't really be much of a help for emulation due to the lack of commands.
A games console can be RISC because its doesn't need to be compatible with older games and stuff.
PC's are CISC because you want a game you bought a year ago to continue working on your modern PC. As such most processors in PC's will have the instruction set from processors dating back to the 80's.

RISC processors will not have a large selection of commands and so for it to emulate a DC game through hardware they would need to Microprogram Dreamcast instructions directly onto the chip.

If you want an efficient chip that can run things designed for multiple systems then you would not make it a RISC processor, you would make it CISC.
Nice info thanks

Actually, that's not all. The Dreamcast was neither in the PS2 generation nor the PSOne/N64 generation. It was kind of in between, so people either had what they wanted or wanted to wait for the next-gen.

Cabe said:
You would need to install a laser reading head that could read CD's to do that.
The Saturn was pretty much a failure so I doubt they will have an VC Saturn games due to low demand (BTW, I have a Saturn)
The laser reading head used to play GCN games and Wii games is, as far as I know the same laser reading head found in all other CD players and game consoles, the only difference with the Wii's reading laser is the way it is controlled, the discs are read from the outside in, unlike an average CD DVD that reads from the inside out, that is to stop piracy by making it unreadable by a computer's CD/DVD-ROM drive (I tried it out myself, dosen't work), so, as far as I know, the Wii's software tells the Wii only to run in reverse to play Nintendo certified media, so, all nintendo needs to do to run sega games that run on CD, is make a system update (the thing the Wii does after the connection test), that lets the Wii read standard discs, with that update, they can add an emulator for SEGA games in the disc channel, so where you see 2 virtual discs spinning now, there would be 4 virtual discs spinning, one for each individual disc that has the possibility to work in it, this will also open up the possibilities to play Audio CDs on the Wii, that maybe even how the DVD idea for next year model came up, but who cares about a Wii that plays DVDs?

gamechaser001 said:
The laser reading head used to play GCN games and Wii games is, as far as I know the same laser reading head found in all other CD players and game consoles

um... CD's, DVD's etc don't have the same reading heads. The reason a DVD has more storage capacity than a CD is because the laser used to read the disks is, to put it simply, a lot thinner.
A CD or DVD is just like a record. It has a groves which have bumps and dips which tells the PC if it is reading a 1 or a 0.
If you try read a DVD with a CD reading head it simply will not work.

My god the Wii owns... said:
Actually, that's not all. The Dreamcast was neither in the PS2 generation nor the PSOne/N64 generation. It was kind of in between, so people either had what they wanted or wanted to wait for the next-gen.

The Dreamcast IS a 6th gen (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube and Dreamcast) console.
It was the first of the 6th gen consoles to be released and had a 2 year head start over the PS2 and roughly a 4 year start over the GC or Xbox.
The reason its in the same generation as the PS2 etc is because it has a 128 bit processor as do the PS2, the Xbox and the Gamecube.

Cabe said:
um... CD's, DVD's etc don't have the same reading heads. The reason a DVD has more storage capacity than a CD is because the laser used to read the disks is, to put it simply, a lot thinner.
A CD or DVD is just like a record. It has a groves which have bumps and dips which tells the PC if it is reading a 1 or a 0.
If you try read a DVD with a CD reading head it simply will not work.
Ok, maybe I worded it wrong, yes, a DVD laser head is, like you said, a lot thinner, that same laser can read CDs as well, (I know this for a fact being I own devices that can run both but only have a DVD laser), but, as we both know, not vice versa, so anyways, yes, I know

Now, what I meant to say is, the Wii has a normal CD reading head, meaning software can make it read CDs, what I meant to say though is, in the next Wii that will have DVD playback, the Wii will have a DVD laser upgrade, but it still needs the software to allow it to read normally, not backwards like Nintendo disc media, the SEGA discs are just a high density 3 data track CD that holds more by spinning at a slower speed (however that works), all I am saying is all we need is a software update to allow the reading of SEGA's disc media, and a way to emulate the hardware, question is, will Nintendo ever do it? I highly doubt it

gamechaser001 said:
Now, what I meant to say is, the Wii has a normal CD reading head, meaning software can make it read CDs, what I meant to say though is, in the next Wii that will have DVD playback, the Wii will have a DVD laser upgrade, but it still needs the software to allow it to read normally, not backwards like Nintendo disc media

The wii DOES have a dvd drive in it. Ask anyone with a wiikey modchip and a dvd burner....

Wii discs are single layer DVD discs, simple as that. It's up the DVD drive to determine if the disc is a valid wii disc or not, and report that back to the wii system.

Back