Sega's lesson: We probably won't be making mature games for the Wii anymore

I don't really care that much about how game sells, as long I like the game myself.

You should if you want them to keep making games for your syetem...=0)

@Maximo:

Could not have said it better myself. There is a real hate for the Wii out there in the core gaming market. That goes for the gaming sites and some dev's as well.

Which makes me think of something here...Why are these companies panicking about a Wii game selling millions in a month...its not the wii games thats costing them a fortune to develop...its the 360/ps3 games.

So sounds to me they're getting pissed because they're half assed efforts on wii ,or lack there of are hurting their budgets for the 360/ps3 games.

That is a great point that is easy to overlook and it is true. There have been quite a few low budget Wii games that have certainly helped finance the big blockbuster 360/PS3 titles, yet they never throw the profits back into any Wii games.

I don't really care that much about how game sells, as long I like the game myself.
PRO COLLECTOR TIP-
The games that don't sell well end up selling for more later on
Good example of this is certain PSone games
Metal gear solid you can now get for next to nothing
Vib Ribbon on the other hand is quite expensive

PRO COLLECTOR TIP-
The games that don't sell well end up selling for more later on
Good example of this is certain PSone games
Metal gear solid you can now get for next to nothing
Vib Ribbon on the other hand is quite expensive

Just like Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes & Ikaruga on cube

Wow! Pat on the back to all of you! It's amazing to see the consumer actually being more intelligent and logical than the actual developer who's getting paid millions for it.

If only they'd listen to us...

Its not so much about intelligence Caliko. As sad as it is to say its the money. These devs are only going to do something if pubs flash enough money in their face for it. Although the problem is pubs are only willing to put out so much cash for a wii experince so we get a water down version of what the dev probably originally intended.

Everyone keeps going on about how retail games should stay in boxes on store shelves ,and should work hand & hand with digital downloads ,but i beg to differ.

Sure years ago retail games did well on store shelves ,and devs had to go thru pubs because it was necessary evil at the time. Times have changed though. Memory is becoming larger at cheaper prices. A digital download cuts out the middleman of the publisher ,and their financial influences. Hence why devs are putting more experimental things out on wiiware..dsiware..psn..and xbla. Well why not go the same model with full retail games.

Things have gone this way with music. Look at Nine Inch Nails. Trent Reznor got sick of record companies ,and started self publishing stuff as digital downloads.

If games went completely download we would not only see devs putting out games that actually fit what we want on our systems ,but we may even see the price of these games for the consumers drop because there's no publisher..no printings/pressing costs ,and etc.

I know this is something thats not going to happen on Wii this gen ,but at the rate things are going with Nintendo this gen they're going to have a hard time shaking what happened this gen with "mature" games on their system unless they take part in this business model.

Wow! Pat on the back to all of you! It's amazing to see the consumer actually being more intelligent and logical than the actual developer who's getting paid millions for it.

If only they'd listen to us...
Sega did listen to us (via a online poll)
The result
NiGHTS Wii
To bad they ruined it by agusting the camera.

EA also like to hear from there fans
But most of the time they use ear plugs

Its not so much about intelligence Caliko. As sad as it is to say its the money. These devs are only going to do something if pubs flash enough money in their face for it. Although the problem is pubs are only willing to put out so much cash for a wii experince so we get a water down version of what the dev probably originally intended.

Everyone keeps going on about how retail games should stay in boxes on store shelves ,and should work hand & hand with digital downloads ,but i beg to differ.

Sure years ago retail games did well on store shelves ,and devs had to go thru pubs because it was necessary evil at the time. Times have changed though. Memory is becoming larger at cheaper prices. A digital download cuts out the middleman of the publisher ,and their financial influences. Hence why devs are putting more experimental things out on wiiware..dsiware..psn..and xbla. Well why not go the same model with full retail games.

Things have gone this way with music. Look at Nine Inch Nails. Trent Reznor got sick of record companies ,and started self publishing stuff as digital downloads.

If games went completely download we would not only see devs putting out games that actually fit what we want on our systems ,but we may even see the price of these games for the consumers drop because there's no publisher..no printings/pressing costs ,and etc.

I know this is something thats not going to happen on Wii this gen ,but at the rate things are going with Nintendo this gen they're going to have a hard time shaking what happened this gen with "mature" games on their system unless they take part in this business model.

Dont be modest yall got some good logic here.

BUT I would HATE to see full downloadable games and the murder of the retail market. I for one an a VERY VERY social person, I love meeting new people of all ages, love conversation and i think online dating can be lame and I bet I'm not the only one.
If video games consoles go the PSP GO path we will see MILLIONS of people, lose their jobs, we'll lose the privilege of shopping at gaming stores. Basically we'll lose gaming stores completely.

What will we do when malls close down?? I really appreciate shopping and would hate to be stuck on a computer when I wanna shop or "socialize". Let's appreciate store CSR's and let's keep our jobs too.

DPrinny said:
EA also like to hear from there fans
But most of the time they use ear plugs

LOL!! It's true It's true!!

I cant take credit for this as it was posted on another site. I think its pretty interesting non the less.

For reference, here's the VGC totals for all M-rated Sega games so far this gen...

The House of the Dead 2 &3 Return (Wii) 1,130,000
The House of the Dead Overkill (Wii) 480,000
Yakuza 3 (PS3) 480,000
Condemned 2: Bloodshot (360) 470,000
Condemned: Criminal Origins (360) 460,000
Viking: Battle for Asgard (360) 410,000
MadWorld (Wii) 370,000
Condemned 2: Bloodshot (PS3) 310,000
Viking: Battle for Asgard (PS3) 280,000
The Club (360) 240,000
Bayonetta (PS3) 200,000
The Club (PS3) 150,000
Golden Axe: Beast Rider (360) 120,000
Bayonetta (360) 90,000
Golden Axe: Beast Rider (PS3) 80,000
Stormrise (360) 50,000
Stormrise (PS3) 50,000
Tenchu: Time of the Assassins (PSP) untracked

Average sales per console...

Wii: 660,000
360: 263,000
PS3: 221,000
Not only are all those 360/PS3 titles supposed to do poorly (as they're not nearly as good as other games on the market) except for Bayonetta, but Bayonetta already racked up that many sales and it didn't even release in America (and Europe I presume) till the following day. Those are Japan-only sales numbers.

Edit: In fact, those Bayonetta sales numbers are launch day only. /:

Last edited:
I cant take credit for this as it was posted on another site. I think its pretty interesting non the less.

For reference, here's the VGC totals for all M-rated Sega games so far this gen...

The House of the Dead 2 &3 Return (Wii) 1,130,000
The House of the Dead Overkill (Wii) 480,000
Yakuza 3 (PS3) 480,000
Condemned 2: Bloodshot (360) 470,000
Condemned: Criminal Origins (360) 460,000
Viking: Battle for Asgard (360) 410,000
MadWorld (Wii) 370,000
Condemned 2: Bloodshot (PS3) 310,000
Viking: Battle for Asgard (PS3) 280,000
The Club (360) 240,000
Bayonetta (PS3) 200,000
The Club (PS3) 150,000
Golden Axe: Beast Rider (360) 120,000
Bayonetta (360) 90,000
Golden Axe: Beast Rider (PS3) 80,000
Stormrise (360) 50,000
Stormrise (PS3) 50,000
Tenchu: Time of the Assassins (PSP) untracked

Average sales per console...

Wii: 660,000
360: 263,000
PS3: 221,000
Not only are all those 360/PS3 titles supposed to do poorly (as they're not nearly as good as other games on the market) except for Bayonetta, but Bayonetta already racked up that many sales and it didn't even release in America (and Europe I presume) till the following day. Those are Japan-only sales numbers.

Edit: In fact, those Bayonetta sales numbers are launch day only. /:

Yes most of these games have higher sales now. Most are only by a small amount but yea Bayonetta is like 300k more.

It dont change that fact that Sega is clueless. Even with new numbers they sell roughly the same amount of M-Rated games on the Wii VS the other two systems combined.

Heres an idea Sega stop with the M-Rated crap already. M-Rated dont automaticly make a game uber core or 1337 awesome for teh kidz. Make good F'in games, ya know like you did with Sonic back in the day. Have you forgot how to make good games?

Maby your grasping for the M crap because you cant make good games anymore and you need a hook, like the M rating. Wheres my 2D Sonic game.

Wheres my NeedleMouse!?

Back