Should I buy a Wii?

Athronox

WiiChat Member
Nov 14, 2009
Yes, yes, I know, I'm on a Wii forum, but alas- I have no Wii. Shameful it is, truly.

However, I have a good reason for not having one but still being here. That reason, is that I use to have one, and now I'm interested in buying another.

I owned a Wii about a year and some ago, and back then, it really felt like there were no games around to play for it. Okay, there was Brawl which was great, and MP3- but besides that, nothing really interested me.

Now, if you have had the pleasure (or maybe misfortune?) of reading my post in the Gamecube section, there is one thing you will know about me- I am the biggest Gamecube fan the world has ever seen. I believe I own just about every worth-while Gamecube game, I still play PSO on a private server, and I bought the broadband adapter just for it, I have it modded with multiple accessories, etc. On and on. You get the idea.

But I feel as though, it might be time to move on. I own a PS3, and I use to own a 360, but the 360 somewhat bored me and the PS3...Well, I'm a bit stuck in the middle there.

The point is though, now talk of much more sufficient games such as Metroid: Other M and Red Steel 2 are coming about, and after giving some careful consideration to it, my lust for Brawl and for having an all-in-one-console (via the VC) only grows stronger. So the real question is....Should I buy a Wii?

I have some games I can trade in, and right now I can get a Wii for $149.99 at Gamestop with a special offer, and since I have about $800 of work money laying around, there's really no reason not to buy one at this point.

The sad fact is however, I am afraid that I will purchase it, never use it, and it will just turn up like all the rest of the next-gen consoles I've purchased- worthless, and that in the end, I'll go right back to my Gamecube and it's fine seleciton of $2.99 bargain bin games.

Thoughts?

Yes, yes, I know, I'm on a Wii forum, but alas- I have no Wii. Shameful it is, truly.
You'd be surprised the amount of X-Wii owners on here
Now, if you have had the pleasure (or maybe misfortune?) of reading my post in the Gamecube section, there is one thing you will know about me- I am the biggest Gamecube fan the world has ever seen. I believe I own just about every worth-while Gamecube game, I still play PSO on a private server, and I bought the broadband adapter just for it, I have it modded with multiple accessories, etc. On and on. You get the idea.
I think there might be some people that are bigger fans but thats not the point.

The point is though, now talk of much more sufficient games such as Metroid: Other M and Red Steel 2 are coming about, and after giving some careful consideration to it, my lust for Brawl and for having an all-in-one-console (via the VC) only grows stronger. So the real question is....Should I buy a Wii?
Don't look forward to games as they might end up disappointing.
I have some games I can trade in, and right now I can get a Wii for $149.99 at Gamestop with a special offer, and since I have about $800 of work money laying around, there's really no reason not to buy one at this point.
Ask your self these.
"Will I play on it?"
"Is there anything I want on it?"
"Will others I know play on it as well?"
"What is my favourite cheese?"
"Shall I wait for the rumoured Wii 2?"

The sad fact is however, I am afraid that I will purchase it, never use it, and it will just turn up like all the rest of the next-gen consoles I've purchased- worthless, and that in the end, I'll go right back to my Gamecube and it's fine selection of $2.99 bargain bin games.
The only way a console becomes worthless is if you never play on it
The best way to keep interest is to try out a few games of a genre that you wouldn't always play.
A lot of UK stores (cant speak for the US) have some good games that are cheap.
Best bet is to avoid buying cross platform games as the Wii tends to get the short straw.
There is also them Game Cube games that have been ported to the Wii with (I assume) Wii control's
Thoughts?

Yes I have them to.
I could do with some cheese though

Your a gamecube but I'm a Wii nut!
I love the Wii and would adivse you to buy one, seeing as you've alread bought a PS3 and a 360 in the past, it's always worth giving the Wii a try. If you honestly don't get into it, I'm sure you'd be able to sell it.

Its all up to what you prefer. Interactive game play (swinging the wiimote and nunchuck) or classic controlers. I like some games just for the interactive controls the wii has, but it gets old on some other games after a while I still think classic controlers are the way to go. I think xbox and ps3 have more appealing games too. Wii seems to have a million kids oriented games. There are a few I have though that I like COD3 Resident evil UC and Need For Speed underground. I was at best buy today and seen some games now offer the classic control option. Its all up to you though if you wanna be lazy and just play or sit for hours swinnging/motioning a controler!

you know the Wii plays GC games right? if you play your GC so much then if you buy a Wii, you could just start playing them on your Wii. you still get to pkay the GC you love and now you get the added bonus of any Wii game you love.

easy choice for me: trade in the GC to get a Wii at a discount and buy more Wii games. or points to get VC and Wiiware games.

you know the Wii plays GC games right? if you play your GC so much then if you buy a Wii, you could just start playing them on your Wii. you still get to pkay the GC you love and now you get the added bonus of any Wii game you love.

easy choice for me: trade in the GC to get a Wii at a discount and buy more Wii games. or points to get VC and Wiiware games.

Yeah, but see, then I can't play Phantasy Star Online...online. It only works with the broadband adapter, which happens to be resting tightly in the underside of my GC. That, and I also enjoying playing LAN MKDD and Kirby's Air Ride with my friends, which is something Wii appears to lack.

I was wrong though, I can actually get it for about 90 bucks right now...So I have even less of an excuse to buy one. Thing is though, if I do buy one, it's mainly for one game: Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I do indeed miss it dearly...Just hoping Other M and Red Steel 2 are good as well.

Having owned a 360 and hating it, owning a PS3 and using it to an extent cuz of Street Fighter 4 and Tekken 6 (I'm a big fan of fighters). I still find that I play on my Wii more. I know some people give me flack telling me its not a superior gaming system, but hey to me its a fun system.

I come from a Sega background of only owning hardware created by Sega. I gave in and bought a Gamecube only cuz of Smash Bros. but ended up liking the Gamecube cuz it had a nice library of games. When it came time to choose between a Wii and PS3 I went ahed and purchased both but thought to myself oh Wii will be like the lil bro to the PS3 where I don't use it as much but only for Brawl and one of 2 more games. Ended up the other way around and to tell you the truth I can say Wii is the best of this gen.

The Wii itself has a great selection of titles if you know where to look and they are fun for hours. The motion control also makes games even more fun and more than just sitting down on the couch and playing. And to myself as a fan of shmups and fighters, the Wii has given me some of the best with the VC and with Tatsunoko vs Capcom it gave me one of my new fav fighters of all time now so the Wii is great for that.

my opinion: yes

but the thing is that nintendo always..... in every game... is missing a brige...
and, like he said, dont look forward to games...
but brawl is awesome...

The wii is good, but it still doesn't have a great selection of games. In a year
though there will be SO many good titles like the new Zelda
rumered to come out.

Back