Should I Buy a Wii or Wait for the Wii U?

Bleu

WiiChat Member
Feb 11, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about buying a Wii, but I am aware that the Wii is reaching the end of it's life cycle. If you were in my shoes would you still buy a Wii or wait for the Wii U? I'm new to video "gaming" so I don't know much about games or their consoles. I was given recently a Playstation 3 and while looking around for games I found some Wii games that I'd really like to play. I went ahead and bought them off eBay. It may seem like a stupid thing to do as I don't own a Wii (yet) but I got The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Ōkami and Monster Hunter Tri for £12 (I thought this was a good price).

I can't really justify buying a Wii for three games could you please recommend some Wii games similar to these? I Also quite like the Final Fantasy games on the Playstation how do the Wii FF games compare? I know the gameplay is quite different for obvious reasons.

Finally I can't decided if I do buy a Wii if I should buy the "orginal" (vertical) Wii or the newer horizontal Wii. I know that the newer horizontal Wii cannont play Gamecube games but as I don't have any Gamecube games this isn't really an issue. Is rather any reason to favour one version other than backwards compatablieity?

I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong section of the forum and thank you for reading. :smile5:

Bleu

If you do not care about having the more advanced looking graphics and won't take gaming too seriously, go ahead and buy the Wii. The type of Wii doesn't matter since you don't have any gamecube games.

Only three games, but all three grand none the less. Good choices. :thumbsup:

If ya end up enjoying Twilight Princess (doubtful you wouldn't!), Zelda: Skyward Sword should definitely be on your to-buy list.

Though the game Red Steel 2 has no real similarities to these four games, it's a fantastic action game that's a damn blast to play. Red Steel 2 is lacks the puzzles and exploration of those two games, but makes up for it with enthralling sword/gun play. Unlike Zelda or Okami where you really just waggle and do a few generic motions for combat, Red Steel 2's epic controls make you use the Wiimote like an actual sword; if you want to use power attacks and special techniques, you'll be doing more than just twirling the nunchuck gently. It's the kind of game perfect for the Wii. Unless you really hate Action games, you'd be doing yourself a disservice of not getting this game.

Just don't bother with Red Steel 1, though... Just a plain-bad game really, doesn't even resemble the sequel. The story of the first game doesn't matter at all to the sequel regardless, so you wouldn't be missing anything.

As for the Wii vs. WiiU question, since you're new to gaming, you'd definitely be happy with your Wii & PS3 for quite a few years, most likely more than long enough for the WiiU's price to drop down by what you paid for a Wii. There really isn't any rush to get the next console as soon as it's released, especially if you haven't owned your Wii for five years like say, I have. :lol:

So yeah, I'd personally recommend buying the oh-so currently cheap Wii and wait some time to buy a WiiU, if you do decide you'll buy one eventually.

And as for the old Wii-new Wii differences, as far as I know, they're pretty much the same console, except the latter is cheaper to produce. So unless the newer model is sold cheaper than the older ones, it doesn't really matter what you get.

'Course, if you end up turning into a Legend of Zelda fan, it'd be a shame if you ended up not playing Zelda: Wind Waker if your Wii lacks backwards compatibility...

Thank you both very much for your replies. I think I'll go ahead and get a Wii, I can always trade it in against the Wii U anyway.

'Course, if you end up turning into a Legend of Zelda fan, it'd be a shame if you ended up not playing Zelda: Wind Waker if your Wii lacks backwards compatibility...

Thanks for pointing this out I just assumed that Gamecube games would be sold via the Wii shop and so I saw no need to have Gamecube disc playback. "Classic" Wii for me it is then... :yesnod:

Thanks for pointing this out I just assumed that Gamecube games would be sold via the Wii shop

An assumption you'd think Nintendo would recognize. It really is a shame they didn't put 'Cube games up for sale on the Virtual Console... :(

Back