Super Mario VC problem, resetting?!

daveg

WiiChat Member
Jul 21, 2007
I know how to reset a VC game, I do it all the time.

But... I beat Super Mario Brothers and after you beat it, starting over with level 1-1 changes all the goombas into the black hard-shelled guys...

EVEN IF I RESET the game, level 1-1 won't go back to being goombas. Help?!

daveg

Thanks for the tip to delete the save file... how would I do this? (I imagine it is somewhere in the Wii settings?)

Also thanks for the tip to redownload it. When I went to the Wii Store (I had tried this earlier) the status of the game was DOWNLOADED and there was no option to download again. Are you suggesting that I delete the game from the Wii and then redownload it like it was new? (Wii store would know I previously bought and wouldn't try to charge me again?)

Either way, both of these solutions are piss-poor. Nintendo, what are you thinking?!

daveg said:
Thanks for the tip to delete the save file... how would I do this? (I imagine it is somewhere in the Wii settings?)

Also thanks for the tip to redownload it. When I went to the Wii Store (I had tried this earlier) the status of the game was DOWNLOADED and there was no option to download again. Are you suggesting that I delete the game from the Wii and then redownload it like it was new? (Wii store would know I previously bought and wouldn't try to charge me again?)

Either way, both of these solutions are piss-poor. Nintendo, what are you thinking?!

Correct, it's in Wii settings, in Data Management > Save Data > Wii. You don't need to redownload it.

Oh, and if did need to redownload something you wouldn't need to pay again.

Last edited:
Yeah I know the game is supposed to do that - I've been playing the game for over 20 years. I just think it is really weird that you have to delete the save game data to actually completely restart the game. Eh.

daveg said:
Yeah I know the game is supposed to do that - I've been playing the game for over 20 years. I just think it is really weird that you have to delete the save game data to actually completely restart the game. Eh.

Well imagine pressing the reset button on an NES, or N64, or even Gamecube. Does it delete all the progress you've made? No. Sometimes people just want to start from the beginning on games like Super Mario Bros.

Or, hit the "RESET" button on the system while playing. Save state game data is only saved when you use the HOME menu option on the Wii Remote to exit the game.

It's in the manual to the game - it's in the manual to ALL Virtual Console games, as far as I know.

just go home then at the menu where it says reset and wii meun hit reset then when it does it thig then hit home

Yea you definetly can do it without finding save files and deleting them. I'm pretty sure if you just reset it a few times, or completely start over it will allow you to play the game regularly. I ran into this a while ago, and it eventually, through resets by playing it, and turning system off while playing, went away

Back