problem w/super mario bros. 1

MIDIevil

MarioKart is Wiisistance
Apr 26, 2007
Wii Online Code
0695-5263-8001-1456
last night my girlfriend beat smb1 for the first time since download. now when you start a new game, all the goombas are replaced with buzzy beetles, severely ramping up the difficulty on what we purchased as a casual game.

i seem to remember (been awhile) this is just what the game normally does when you beat it, but whereas on the nes you could just reset the system to bring back the goombas, the vc suspends play rather than completely resetting the software. in fact, when we do try to reset the software through the wii, the high score (and beetles) remain.

this is unacceptable! it's fun if you're looking for a challenge, but like i said, we got this one for casual, nostalgia-based play, and what i'm looking for is a way to set this thing back to its original state.

If I understand how the VC works correctly, you can delete the game and go back to re-download it through Wii Shop. Wii Shop remembers what games you downloaded and will let you download it again (only on the same Wii of course). This should work, and it is probably the only way you can "reset" a game right now. Definitely is kind of a hassle to have to do this though, and Nintendo should have thought of including a reset function without having to delete and re-download the game...

sherlocktheholmes said:
If I understand how the VC works correctly, you can delete the game and go back to re-download it through Wii Shop. Wii Shop remembers what games you downloaded and will let you download it again (only on the same Wii of course). This should work, and it is probably the only way you can "reset" a game right now. Definitely is kind of a hassle to have to do this though, and Nintendo should have thought of including a reset function without having to delete and re-download the game...
I think thats a good idea.

sherlocktheholmes said:
Just shut it off while your playing SMB. (Pull the power plug out) It'll reset it.

There is a reset - if you hit the home button while playing a vc game this is a reset button next to the wii menu button.

let me repeat: "when we do try to reset the software through the wii, the high score (and beetles) remain."

this has been done using the reset on the home button menu AND the system reset button on the front of the wii, with the same results. the only things i've not yet tried are pulling the plug (which i haven't done since setting up my wireless connection, and was hoping not to have to do) and deleting/re-downloading the game (which i'm about to try, crossing fingers...), both of which sound a little iffy, though i'm sure you follks know what you're talking about. thx folx.

okay, for the record, deleting and redownloading the game did NOT work, but one thing did, something i feel stupid for not thinking of in the first place: deleting the 1-block save file. duh.

so, if anyone else runs into this problem, that's the fix. thx to all who offered input.

EDIT: btw, i didn't have any problems with any saved info of any sort the last time i did unplug the wii, but that definitely falls under the "last-ditch" category; the unpredictability of cutting power like that makes me nervous. like, sure it didn't screw anything up before, but what if, what if...

as far as not affecting internet settings, in a way, that's inaccurate, inasmuch as my connection didn't fully take until after i'd unplugged everything at least once (still don't know what was up with that, but it could have just been a router problem). since that moment, though, i've had no issues, so unplugging hasn't been necessary so far.

anyway, it wasn't necessary for this problem, so...yeah.

Last edited:
MIDIevil said:
okay, for the record, deleting and redownloading the game did NOT work, but one thing did, something i feel stupid for not thinking of in the first place: deleting the 1-block save file. duh.

I can't believe not one of us thought of that. We really are stupid! :lol:

Thanks for the fix! I was having the same problem, and hadn't considered that SMB would even have a saved game file. Its an easy enough workaround, shouldn't be much of an inconvenience.

Still, it would be nice if there was an option on the game start screen on the Wii home menu, maybe separate "Start" and "Resume" buttons.

yeah, i'm in favor of some regular interface-type updates to expedite all that stuff. if they're smart, they'll keep streamlining the system software and hopefully make the interface customizable at some point. not all setup options work for everyone, and people tend to want to personalize things. they're in a position to satisfy that impulse.

Back