The "Old gen Nintendo" appreciation thread

I'm still an old Atari 2600 boy, but hands down, the best game of all time was Super Mario 3 for NES. Close second was Raiders of the Lost Ark for 2600, which was the first real RPG/ADVENTURE game ever made. With everything though SM3 even today still holds the appeal and fun it did when it was released. Anyone can have fun with that game, and it's still fun as hell today. My son and I played through the entire thing on the GBA version and he loved it too. Long game, fun game and just simply perfect in every way.

When my Brothers PS got stolen years ago he got his SNES out! We spent days playing Super Mario Allstars and Damon Hill F1, it wasn't the same as Ridge Racer and F1 though!!

I bought an N64 off eBay the other year, I bought a PS at the time and had only played one briefly at a mates. I paid £24 and got Mario 64, Goldeneye, Fifa 99, Premier Manager 64 and 2 controllers, including expansion pack! :cool:

I only bought it for Goldeneye!

Marc said:
When my Brothers PS got stolen years ago he got his SNES out! We spent days playing Super Mario Allstars and Damon Hill F1,

I had initially said SM3 was the best game of all time, but obviously, Super Mario Allstars is probably the best $50.00 spent of all time since SM3 and was included as well as the other SM games. Man, what a fantastic bargain that was. Love to see Nintendo put SM AllStars out on VC. I think they should get creative with VC and put together a package of all the Mario games through the N64 era including SMworld and do something new for VC.

My gaming started on the commodore64 with IK+ being the most memorable. The first 'real' fighting game i remember. It had special moves and everything !

Streetfighter 2 and MarioKart on the snes took away so much of my life, !

My gaming started with a Texas TI LOL. Then I got an Amiga 500, upgraded to 1mb :cool:

N64

We got one around launch I think, but it was kept from my brother and I until Christmas. I remember playing the Kiosk in Walmart for literaly hours and hours while my mother shopped. My brother and I would hog it, none of the other kids in the store had a snowball's chance in hell of getting their hands on the controller untill we had to go home, lol. The only game I played on the kiosk (once every couple weeks for like 2 or 3 months) was Super Mario 64. I was hooked the moment I saw it. Then one day I got a PS1 all for myself, and due to pressure from my mother and brother, I gave the N64 to my brother which he later sold.

About a year ago these memories got the best of me, so I started looking to buy an N64 just for Mario 64; a buddy of mine gave me his childhood system and a bunch of games for free! All I had to do after that was find the one game I wanted to play, Mario 64 of course. Well, while on Ebay I found some other games I played when I was young; Mortal Kombat, Starfox, and others. But above all, I was given 2 of my first Zelda games from a friend from a Camaro message board I frequent, those games being Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time.

So here I am, almost 20, making more memories with my 360, DS Lite and my new Wii. One thing I learned from getting rid of my first N64 years ago, my Ps2(s) and my first XBOX, is I always regret selling my games and consoles. For which reason I have sworn to myself I will never sell another console or game. One day I will push aside the Xbox 1080, PS5 and god knows what crazy named Nintendo console is out at the time, and break out the 'ol N64, Xbox, 360 and Wii and share these memories and games with my kids.

That got kinda mushy in some parts. . .

Last edited:
JonLT1Z said:
N64

We got one around launch I think, but it was kept from my brother and I until Christmas. I remember playing the Kiosk in Walmart for literaly hours and hours while my mother shopped. My brother and I would hog it, none of the other kids in the store had a snowball's chance in hell of getting their hands on the controller untill we had to go home, lol. The only game I played on the kiosk (once every couple weeks for like 2 or 3 months) was Super Mario 64. I was hooked the moment I saw it. Then one day I got a PS1 all for myself, and due to pressure from my mother and brother, I gave the N64 to my brother which he later sold.

About a year ago these memories got the best of me, so I started looking to buy an N64 just for Mario 64; a buddy of mine gave me his childhood system and a bunch of games for free! All I had to do after that was find the one game I wanted to play, Mario 64 of course. Well, while on Ebay I found some other games I played when I was young; Mortal Kombat, Starfox, and others. But above all, I was given 2 of my first Zelda games from a friend from a Camaro message board I frequent, those games being Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time.

So here I am, almost 20, making more memories with my 360, DS Lite and my new Wii. One thing I learned from getting rid of my first N64 years ago, my Ps2(s) and my first XBOX, is I always regret selling my games and consoles. For which reason I have sworn to myself I will never sell another console or game. One day I will push aside the Xbox 1080, PS5 and god knows what crazy named Nintendo console is out at the time, and break out the 'ol N64, Xbox, 360 and Wii and share these memories and games with my kids.

That got kinda mushy in some parts. . .

That was very touching, haha. But seriously. It was; the word "touching" just seems sarcastic by default. No mushiness that I saw.

My god the Wii owns... said:
Seizures?

Not for me
I have gamer eyes (ie the abilaty not to blink)
And gamer hands

JonLT1Z said:
One day I will push aside the Xbox 1080, PS5 and god knows what crazy named Nintendo console is out at the time, and break out the 'ol N64, Xbox, 360 and Wii and share these memories and games with my kids.

awww.... how touching indeed lol

And on that day I will be swiming to work

Looks at paper

Nearly time

Back