Think We Can Put Roms Onto Virtual Console?

MetroidZ said:
will the nintendo wii have updates? if so that could help.

Yes, through the Wii Connect 26 service (Nintendo's equivalent to XBoxLive and PSNetwork).

It's quite unreasonable for Nintendo to make it IMPOSSIBLE(sic) to play our ROM collections on the Wii. I can understand why (loss of revenue) but by charging money for downloading the old games it really creates alot of problems with copyright holders for game developers other than those under the Nintendo umbrella (being EAD, Retro Studios, and a couple more) and let's not forget that some of our favourite games were made by companies that don't exist anymore (either they went bankrupt or were merged with larger companies) so how can they justify charging money for these games? Technically can't do it if they don't hold the appropriate copyrights.

If they don't make the service free, or seriously improve it I can see it just being a big flop, since the only games we will be able to download will all be first-party titles (not that I don't like those, they were some of the greatest games, but they weren't the ONLY greatest games). Howabout Plok or Battletoads in Battlemaniacs? Does Tradewest even exist anymore? Howabout Natsume and the Pocky and Rocky games? One of the best friggin Co-Op games for the SNES, and who owns the rights to that now?

If I can't play my ROM stash on the Wii out of the box I'll be the first to download the adequate hax when they come out in order to do so.

Last edited:
Does anyone else see 24 connect as alittle "big brother" ish? I don’t know if I want Nintendo peeking at what games i play when, or what i even do to my wii. You can bet I will be one of the first to disable this option, whether its possible with the shipped os, or if I have to change the os, and thus giving up online play. A machine that thinks while it’s turned off is not something that makes my jump up for joy. Its frightening. Outright freighting.

Don’t get me wrong, the wii sounds awesome, but I hope Nintendo isn’t doing data collecting with this 24 connect. I would be very displeased.

You may wonder why I’m paranoid, but ask yourself, if your console is connected 24 hours a day, what’s stopping them? I for one am going to be very carefull setting up my wii’s connection to the internet.

Although, the gamecube was hacked, without any hardware mods too. The Game cube had the problem of a slow Ethernet connection, but with the wii, it would have to be at least 100mb or maybe even 1000mb, and thus the problems with the gc hacks is no longer a issue.

Last edited:
I would care about them data collecting. But honestly, I just wonder why they would want to see what my Mii looks like. Or what VC games I play.

If it furthers my online gaming, and overall online experience, then more power to them.

well lets assume they know everything you do on your wii. Well from the data they should be able to know your gaming habits, what games you play, how long you play them, who you talk to on the wii, and while they really couldn’t get any real info on you... Games were, it my view the last refuge of technology. The computer watches ever thing you do via spywere and cookies, and many other techniecs. Amazon predicts what you would want to buy, netflex makes suggestions on movies... I assume that could be incorporated into the wii. Will the wii start suggesting what games i should play when? Its only a matter of time before my fridge is telling me wha ti should eat.

I play games to escape this world of prying eyes, if i new Nintendo was recording when i play games, i would feel vary violated. Now this may not be the case with 24connect, but even the name 24 connect is alittle disturbing. Why does it need to be always on? for updates? how big could this updates really be?, it doesn’t even have a hardrive so the download times are not that long... so i do wonder what the deal is with 24 connect?

Now it may be nothing, and just me being a nut, but think about it... why does the wii need to connect to the internet24 hours a day? Their answer don’t add up.

That said im not saying dont get a wii, because i am getting a wii, but im not letting that thing near my internet until i know what Nintendo and 24 connect really is.

Well at the last moment something poped into my head, and its alittle far fetched but... possible. My wii would connect to my router right? My computer is connected to my router... anyone think it could read things off my computer and send it to Nintendo somehow? I mean it dose seem possible, but it doesn’t seem like something Nintendo would really do. but 24connect? what’s really behind that? Why does it need to be connected when its turned off? I don’t think they ever gave a good awnser to that.

WiiConnect 24 is always on for updates. I'll give you an example of what makes it better:

Without WiiConnect24:
You wake up in the morning. You turn on your Wii. You connect it to the internet. You wait for it to check for updates. There is an update available. You wait for it to download.

With WiiConnect24:
You wake up in the morning. You turn on your Wii. Your game is updated.

There is really no reason to worry about this system, as Nintendo of all companies would not be spying on you. If you've been reading up on the Wii, you'd know that the Wii records your play times for games, and other stats about your console habits. That's information for you to read.

I think you're really paranoid about nothing. I would enjoy my fridge telling me what, and when to eat. That would be great for people on diets, or people trying to eat right. If they can get the news to me faster, about games that I like to play, then I'm happy with what they're doing.

so the tiny 4 meg update is done before i turn on the wii?, and yet, that 4 meg update was soo long to wait for on a 500 k connection.... thats the point. I know what nintendo says 24 connect is for, but becuse it dosnt have a hard drive, the updates will never be larger then a few megs. Even the zelda games on the 64 were only a 32 or so megs or so. In other words, thier is no need for updateing while its off becuse how long will the updates take? really no time at all. Unless nintendo is trying to save bandwidth to send you the update really slow, so they somehow save money themselves, but i can tell you this for sure, my 24 connect wont be on.

the moment my fridge tells me what to eat, is the moment i give over my free will over to big brother.

Well yeh Wiiconnect24 does sound like a hackers paradise since its turned on ALL the time and connected to your internet ALL the time. But i'd be more scared of hackers then nintendo spying on you. Plus there cant be that many updates Nintendo can send us via Wiiconnect24 is there?

Christ White wolf I hope you never take drugs, next you'll be wrapping tin foil round your head telling us the aliens are reading your thoughts. ;) :D

Seriously On the whole privacy thing Im pretty sure (Im no lawyer) that nintendo have to get written consent from you to do anything with data on your console (which I dont particulaly think they do), and in the world we are in today any violation of this would be found pretty quickly and Nintendo fined heavily

Also surely going online at any time makes you just as vulnerable to any kind of data misuse so the whole being online 24 hours is neither here nor there tbh.

Since the Wii architecture is completely different to that of a computer, a hacker wouldn't be able to do anything. Not to mention I'm sure that there will be some sort of protection built into the console to prevent this from happening. It's no different from leaving your Xbox 360 connected to Live all the time ( if you wanted to do that, you could ). I haven't heard anything about the Xbox or Xbox 360 being hacked while online, and they've had a year to work on hacking that. You're worrying about nothing.

Flip said:
Since the Wii architecture is completely different to that of a computer, a hacker wouldn't be able to do anything. Not to mention I'm sure that there will be some sort of protection built into the console to prevent this from happening. It's no different from leaving your Xbox 360 connected to Live all the time ( if you wanted to do that, you could ). I haven't heard anything about the Xbox or Xbox 360 being hacked while online, and they've had a year to work on hacking that. You're worrying about nothing.

And even if somebody COULD hack the Wii, wouldn't it still be hard to actually do anything to it? Since the Wii has the same design layout as a Mac does, what if the same goes for how it operates, making it harder to hack? (If it is possible.)

The only similarity between the Wii and a Mac, is that it uses a PowerPC processor. I think the Xbox 360 and PS3 also use these in one way or another. But yes, even if it could be attacked by hackers via the internet, it would be very hard for them to do anything unless they understand the way the Wii works from a programming or developers standpoint.

Back