Transferring game data from SD to new Wii console

traxmom

WiiChat Member
Oct 22, 2007
I thought it would be possible to copy our game data from our SD card onto Grandma's new Wii console, but we can't figure a way to do it. Is it possible? If so, could someone please tell me how?

We've managed to copy all of our Wii Sports game data onto the SD card... that part was easy. Now to get the data from the SD card onto Grandma's new machine. The Wii doesn't give us the "copy" option. Why not?

Also, is there a way to copy all our Miis onto Grandma's machine? I'd hate to have to recreate them all again...

:) traxmom

Well, to import/export Miis to another console, you have 2 options...

1: Send the Mii over the internet via the Wii Friend Code feature.
2: Take your Miis and put them onto the Wiimote of choice. The Wiimote serves as a storage for Miis.

traxmom said:
I thought it would be possible to copy our game data from our SD card onto Grandma's new Wii console, but we can't figure a way to do it. Is it possible? If so, could someone please tell me how?

We've managed to copy all of our Wii Sports game data onto the SD card... that part was easy. Now to get the data from the SD card onto Grandma's new machine. The Wii doesn't give us the "copy" option. Why not?

Also, is there a way to copy all our Miis onto Grandma's machine? I'd hate to have to recreate them all again...

:) traxmom

Unfortunately, gamesaves now cannot be transferred from Wii to Wii. They used to be able to, but an early firmware update removed this functionality.

This was to stop people download completed game saves from the internet in order to have all characters/levels unlocked on certain games and use them online.

Wii save.com allows the downloading of saves from any pc with an sd card reader and any wii with the latest firmware. As long as the sites instructions are followed. I recently downloaded a resident evil 4 complete save for fun (Yes I have completed the game)

In addition my wii has a copy button allowing me to copy from my sd card! hmmm Copying to a different wii should be allowed.. why would Nintendo stop that??? People want to take saves to a mates house to show them waht they have done!!!! This has been allowed for years....It is only downloaded games that are console specific as far as I know.... I will look into this! (I have latest firmware)

I think I may have found out why the saves will not transfer to Grandma's wii! I am lead to believe that both systems need to be updated to the same firmware. Are either of the wii consoles connected to the internet? If so one has probably not been updated to the latest firmware! So Are either of the wii consoles connected to the internet?........I may be wrong but that is what I am currently believe is the reason!

topbanana said:
In addition my wii has a copy button allowing me to copy from my sd card! hmmm Copying to a different wii should be allowed.. why would Nintendo stop that??? People want to take saves to a mates house to show them waht they have done!!!! This has been allowed for years....It is only downloaded games that are console specific as far as I know.... I will look into this! (I have latest firmware)

It is so people don't download saves for game such as SSBB when it comes out, so they can have all the characters without putting in any work.

Hmmmm why would Nintendo use that as a reason! I do not think they care whether Joe Blogs actually completed a game or downloaded a file off the net or from a friend..... just as long as they actually by the game and do not buy pirated games! Also the wii should be able to read saves off SD card like standard console memory cards...such an omission. Here is hoping for an update!

As Far as I am aware game saves and saves only can be transferred....I will call Nintendo U.K. technical help ASAP and post their reply! Hey why not give nintendo in your region a call and see what they say too traxmom!

I wish people would do some research be for posting how do you do this.....how do you do that...read the manual, call nintendo or search the web<slowly calms down> (Note not aimed at Traxmom as copying files can be tricky)

FRuMMaGe said:
It is so people don't download saves for game such as SSBB when it comes out, so they can have all the characters without putting in any work.
That doesn't make any sense.

Sure the game creators want you to enjoy the games however not everyone enjoys exactly the same. If people wish to enjoy and share save game data that is there choice, and going so far as to copy protect this data is going overboard. I say if this is the reasons behind this move then I well literally sell my Wii and that will be the end of Nintendo for me, even if I don't utilize the option personally. I will not be told how I am supposed to enjoy my purchases and do not care for such dictator style enforcement either.

I clearly hope this was NOT the reasoning behind this. :yikes:

Back