Video turns off when playing virtual console games

Same problem here - I use the original Nintendo Component Cable though. Nintendo itself doesn´t seem to care too much about it at this time.

Did anybody solve the problem with Snakebyte's cable yet?

markroth8 said:
I had the same exact problem with Super Mario Bros. I also have a Yamaha Receiver (RX-V2600 to be exact). I have to unhook the composite video and audio cables and hook them directly to my TV for it to work properly.

I reported this to Nintendo and here was their response:

--------
Hmmm? We're not sure why the Virtual Console game won't work properly when hooked-up through your receiver. At this time, the only remedy is keep the Wii connected directly to your TV as we don't have a fix for this.
--------

I ordered the component video cables - maybe that will help. Until then, here's hoping that Nintendo is reading and that they will fix this problem in a future firmware upgrade or the like!

I have the EXACT same receiver (Yamaha RX-V2600) and setup, and I'm experiencing the same problem trying to play Super Mario Bros. on VC. I am running the Wii via composite into my RX-2600, and then via HDMI to my Samsung plasma. I've tried changing all of the upconvert/upscaling settings on the receiver, as well as all the Wii settings with no success.

When I plug the composite video directly into my plasma, the VC game is displayed fine. Obviously making this cable switch each time is a huge pain.

I have a set of component cables on order, and I should be receiving them next week, so I'll post if they fix anything (fingers crossed). If you have any success, let me know.

madflava said:
I have the EXACT same receiver (Yamaha RX-V2600) and setup, and I'm experiencing the same problem trying to play Super Mario Bros. on VC. I am running the Wii via composite into my RX-2600, and then via HDMI to my Samsung plasma. I've tried changing all of the upconvert/upscaling settings on the receiver, as well as all the Wii settings with no success.

When I plug the composite video directly into my plasma, the VC game is displayed fine. Obviously making this cable switch each time is a huge pain.

I have a set of component cables on order, and I should be receiving them next week, so I'll post if they fix anything (fingers crossed). If you have any success, let me know.

Well, I got my component cables today and set the Wii to output at 480 and everything looks beautiful. Super Mario Bros. on VC works perfectly now running through my receiver to the plasma. These cables are well worth the cost for the increased picture quality, and the fact that they fixed my "blank screen" issue.

Hi all, just a quick question. I have a similar problem to all of you, I have the official nintendo component running to a LCD TV and the snes and nes VC games don't display a picture. My question is, has anyone here had this similar problem and switched to a different brand of compont cable and had any sucess? As this is something I thought of trying, but I wanted to ask if this has worked for anyone?

I have a similar problem with Super Mario Bros.
Aus PAL Wii Component (HDTV) -> Denon 2807 Upscaled HDMI -> Sony Bravia KLVV40A10

On Wii HDTV, I can't get a picture at all unless 'i/p Convert' is set 'on' (on the Denon), but even then I have to go into the Denon 'HDMI Out Setup', then exit the menu to get the screen active, else I'm stuck on a blank screen.

If I use 576i on the Wii, the game seems to display fine first up, but again ONLY if the 'i/p Convert' is set to 'ON'.

480i only gives me a very 'out of alignment' screen with i/p convert set to on, but if off, the screen flickers like a PC monitor out of sync.

I have not bypassed the Denon as yet, but will in the next week for process of elimination, although I never have problems with this setup and any other (many) devices I have, so I suspect bad refresh/sync code on Nintendo's part.

This is a very annoying issue, only happening on said NES title.

I have exactly the same Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver and a Panasonic 42" plasma and get the black screen problem in NES and SNES games.

I am running a Mad Catz Component cable from the Wii to the Amp, then an HDMI cable from the Amp to the TV. I have discovered if I connect a Component cable from the Amp to the TV then switch the TV to component then it works. It just wont work via HDMI.

I also have a Panasonic PT-AX100 projector that displays the same issue over HDMI. The problem seems to be the 640x200 mode used by the VC is outside the HDMI specification and probably outside the spec of some Component inputs on certain TVs.

Its fine on mine to long as I don't go via HDMI. This however is a real pain since I only run an HDMI cable to my projector.

Come on Nintendo and fix this. I really don't care about seeing the scanlines in VC games. Having them work on my setup is more important.

I've just got Super Mario World and again, display problems are similar to what I stated in my previous post, but worse.
I cannot get it to display at all unless I set the Wii display to 576i.
ie. It does not work at all when set to HDTV.
I'll be ringing Nintendo support about this on Monday, as this is quite a pain in the clacker, having to setup the display for each VC game. :mad2:

steddyman said:
Its fine on mine to long as I don't go via HDMI. This however is a real pain since I only run an HDMI cable to my projector.
Same here.

BTW, I got Sonic as well and it displays fine in HDTV without any mucking around.

If I could find a UK number for Nintendo Wii support I would call them to and give them grief over the issue.

Steddyman

I have some component cables, the virtual console games have run ok, but now and again i'll get scrambled video and even split video where the top of the screen shows at the bottom and the bottom at the top as if rolled down the page...I can't work it out because it HAS been working perfectly and now just suddenly stopped. If i run the TV (42" LCD ATEC) in PiP mode and have the wii on the little picture it also works perfectly - but who wants to play like that, especially with no sound?

Weirdness...

I haven't experienced this yet.
I played Super Star Soldier for 3 hours in one sitting and it played just fine.
Hopefully this won't happen to me.

Bump!

I got a similar problem, but I do get a picture but it looks like this ... How weird is that?
I use an official Nintendo component cable. I tried changing all the settings, but the picture keeps 'rolling of the screen' like in the video.

paper_luigi said:
the picture keeps 'rolling of the screen' , happens to me too; on a PHILIPS Cineos 32"

How about that, I think I have the same TV (is it the Ambilight one, and you have to use an adaptor to get sound from the component cable?)

I REALLY hope Nintendo can fix this, al already sent them 2 emails but they haven't responded...

Yes, mine has Ambilight 2 & Pixel Plus 3. But i dont need any adaptor for the sound, just the component cable right plugged at the back. I wonder if that is an specific problem, the Cineos TV have firmwares too and can be upgraded by an usb. There's a new firmware but I still need an usb bar to upgrade it...
And I dont know if your TV config will be reset by aplying the new firmware.
http://www.philips.com/support to get the firmwares.

Back