Virtual Console

Can we use any SD card or will Nintendo provide us with their ones?

As far as i know there is only one kind/format of SD card (unlike sony memory sticks and the psp) so any of them should work, i guessing that the slot will be for a full sized one (they also make miniSD, same format but only the size of a phone connector or so, i have one in my phone and it comes with an adaptor to make it fit in the regular slot for computer communication)

Rsrichards2nd said:
The Virtual Console has me intrigued. I wonder if maybe considering that the wii is Wi-Fi and the fact that most likely its going to be networked with a computer if you can store these files on your PC. Maybe you could even purchase and download them via PC and move them to your Wii.

Im pretty sure that even if that isnt officially endorsed someone will find a way to make it possible.

Im pretty sure that even if that isnt officially endorsed someone will find a way to make it possible.

Already got one :D, it requires some file juggling but all you'd need is an SD card then you could take the games stored on the card and put them on the computer's hard drive, reinsert the card and download more, or swap them out for ones you wanted to play

This does assume there will be some sort of file management built into the wii to move games from the flash memory to the SD card and such

Last edited:
That's cool! I guess we could then use our pcs as storage and use the SD as a form of transport for Roms and stuff.

Someone will surely write a simple little app that will allow you to easily transfer games to and from a memory card would be my guess. Unless Nintendo can somehow see the changing contents of your game card vs. the games you've purchased or something and puts the kibosh on it.

^ this is all very cool and i hope it is true, but wont nintendo make there own SDs, like memory cards to make more money?

^-- there will prolly be official nintendo cards, but if it is truly an SD card then any will work, much like you don't have to buy a sony brand memory stick for the psp

I was first thinking about using the SD memory cards to be able to store your downloaded games from the Virtual Console. But the more I thought about it, the less likely I think Nintendo will allow that.

I mean why would they? What would prevent you from taking that game or games on your memory card and downloading them to your friend's Wii's harddrive?

I hope they do allow it as it would be nice to have more space if needed for the Virtual Console games if your hard drive becomes full. We probably won't need the extra space, but I just don't like being limited. Especially since some of those N64 games can be 64 megs.

there will most likely be some sort of copy protection in place, maybe an id code for the console that downloaded the game and that is the only wii can modify the files location. this would mean you could use your wii to put the file on the sd card and take it to a friends to play it, but your friends console would say it couldn't move the file if you tried to copy it over, thus preventing the piracy

just speculation but it solves the problem and much better than the current rumor about the ps3 somehow limiting the discs to only work in one system (which would blow, and give lots of people one more reason not to buy the ps3)

phimuajedi69 said:
there will most likely be some sort of copy protection in place, maybe an id code for the console that downloaded the game and that is the only wii can modify the files location. this would mean you could use your wii to put the file on the sd card and take it to a friends to play it, but your friends console would say it couldn't move the file if you tried to copy it over, thus preventing the piracy

just speculation but it solves the problem and much better than the current rumor about the ps3 somehow limiting the discs to only work in one system (which would blow, and give lots of people one more reason not to buy the ps3)

Yes, that would solve the problem and make the most sense.

As for the PS3 rumor. That has been circulating since last November and Sony discounted it.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has stated, through one of its' spokespersons, that "this is false speculation and that Playstation 3 software will not be copy protected to a single machine but will be playable on any PlayStation 3 console."

So that rumor was just that, a rumor.

I would get the link for it, but I can't access the site right now to copy and paste it because I am at work.

Last edited:
Back