What is it about Resident Evil that damages Wiis?

kronau said:
i have it and i have to porblems with it it might be just ur wii
It's not just my Wii, it's lots of peoples' Wiis. Check the Google link included earlier.

After reading several [dozen] of the posts in the provided link (you're right, I thought that was underlined for emphasis :) ), I'm semi-convinced that it's a completely *independent* hardware related issue.

I believe it just happens to be more visible in RE4 - due to the visual effects and the art/game design (lots of complex screens you slowly move through). Once you're aware of the issue, you become super sensitive to it (and see it in games where you didn't notice it before).

At least that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it :D

[DT] said:
I believe it just happens to be more visible in RE4 - due to the visual effects and the art/game design (lots of complex screens you slowly move through). Once you're aware of the issue, you become super sensitive to it (and see it in games where you didn't notice it before).

At least that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it :D
I'm going to have to disagree. I had been reading about the green dots issue long before I ever experienced it. I had seen the screenshots and the videos and knew what it looked like. For many months I have been very conscientious of my display making sure I didn't see it (and I have a 36" TV which makes it very easy to see once it starts). I even considered getting one of those USB add-on fans in order to hopefully prevent it. When I first saw it in RE4, although it was minor I immediately noticed it and recognized it. I then noticed it in my other games when I hadn't before.

So for me, the first run of RE4 was a clear and definitive transition from not having the problem to having it, and it appears I'm not alone.

It seemed *slightly* more plausible than a specific game affecting the hardware (to the point of causing a permanent problem), but as I posted previously, we could probably come up with all sorts of potential answers (for RE4 damaging the Wii). Someone even mentioned GPU issues (directly resulting from RE4's code) - not sure how feasible that is, but it does at least equate the GAME to the ISSUE.

We definitely do NOT have any sort of video problem (at least it's not visible in Zelda, Paper Mario or SMG) - we also have a copy of RE4 we've only booted once to check out for ~15 minutes. I'm going to make a mental note of this, and if we get the RE4 issue (I'm sure we'll play for pretty extended periods once we "officially" start it), I'll track this thread back down!!

Good luck with the return/repair if you do that route.

sremick i got a wii for crimbo and got re4 and not had any probs with it so far cud it b that the 1st batches of wii wasnt up to it i waited till now and its been gr8

i noticed this too when I was playing resident evil 4, never seen it anywhere in my games til I put re4 in, now im all worried lol

I played RE4 in the Wii for a long time before selling it in ebay and never saw that kind of problem or condition.

I finished the RE4 main story twice, Separate Ways once and Ada's mini game once too..

cougsxx said:
sremick i got a wii for crimbo and got re4 and not had any probs with it so far cud it b that the 1st batches of wii wasnt up to it i waited till now and its been gr8

+1 I got mine march of '07 and played through RE4 lots of times without any issues. It would be interesting to see if there is a correlation to a certain batch of Wiis.

It's a graphic issue that makes you see green specks.
It's a huge problem.
I'm pretty sure Nintendo will fix your system if you report in the site.

What sort of proof-of-purchase do they require? I got my Wii used.

sremick said:
So after months of using my Wii with no problems, I popped in one of the several games I got for xmas: Resident Evil 4. And what happens? Suddenly I'm plagued with the "green dots" issue, and now it's present in other games too (I'm seeing it in Cars too, and I wasn't before). So I do a search on the internet to learn more about this problem (which I had heard about), and lo and behold: the majority of people seem to get it after playing RE4. So what the heck is going on? What is it about this game that damages the Wii, and why hasn't there been a recall yet to solve this problem if it's so-clearly related to RE4?

Not pleased about having to send my Wii in for repair, and very concerned about losing my save games.
I got my wii on the 2006 launch date and in Jan of 07 I started to experience the same thing while playing Call of Duty 3. It turned out that my GPU over heated (wii connect 24?) and I ended up sending it in to Nintendo for a product replacement under warranty. After I received my new unit, I purchased a cooling fan and have not had the problem since. This issue is not related to RE4 or in my case Call of Duty 3.

Last edited:
Back