Which SD Card for the Wii?

desktop

WiiChat Member
Mar 29, 2009
Michigan
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-H2 with a small SD memory card, but it doesn't fit in the Wii SD slot. I also have a SD adapter, but that doesn't fit either. What size of SD cards and/or adapters fit in the SD slot on the Wii? I've been looking on the Web, but haven't found anything.

As for just a regular SD card which one does it have to be? Is there a particular kind that fits?

Sony products typically use Memory Sticks, not SD cards, and those won't fit into a Wii. "SD" refers to a specific type and physical size of a card, it's not a generic term for any memory card.

Uh, ok .... so it's a "memory" stick. Thank you Mr. Webster. Can you recommend a card (or cards) instead? That was my main question.

Last edited:
Thank you. You mean like this? I have the 4.0 update on my Wii and I was wondering has that expanded the SD card size you can use now - like beyond 2GB?

Thanks.

im not sure if it can handle larger memory.
if you search Sandisk for Wii on Google Images its there.
Im not sure if it works on other companies that makes SD cards

I just found this on another site, "The new firmware will also add support to high capacity cards which are able to hold up to 32 GB of data."

I have a question
What video format can the Wii play?

i recommend getting a sandisk Ultra II, which is a high speed memory card. reads and writes 15x faster. get a 2 or 4GB

i use a 2gb high speed for brawl to save pics and videos faster and also so i dont have to wait forever while transfering Wii channels and now that you can play games off the SD card, they load faster on high speed

i recommend getting a sandisk Ultra II, which is a high speed memory card. reads and writes 15x faster. get a 2 or 4GB

i use a 2gb high speed for brawl to save pics and videos faster and also so i dont have to wait forever while transfering Wii channels and now that you can play games off the SD card, they load faster on high speed

Thanks for the info, but I thought that SDHC cards were not compatible with the Wii?

Oops, duhh - pays to Google first, lol. I guess it does. This is straight off the Nintendo site...

"SD and SDHC Cards are used for data storage in many digital cameras, cell phones, and PCs. The Wii console accepts SD Cards. NEW! Get Wii Menu 4.0 and get the ability to use SDHC (SD High Capacity) Cards with your Wii console with a maximum capacity of 32 GB! MiniSD and microSD Cards can be used with the Wii when they use their respective adapters."

Thanks, lloyd_yayo :)

Last edited:
Any SD or SDHC card will do. It is best to stick with the better brands such as Sandisk, Kingston. I have a few different cards myself (2GB Kingston microSD, 2 x 4GB Kingston SDHC, 2GB CoreMicro SD which is a cheaper brand but essentially the same as Sandisk), and they all work just fine. You will pay a premium on the higher speed rated cards as well. I would not bother looking at the Wii branded cards as they are exactly the same as the regular cards, only pricier for no reason other than being branded (the branding does indicate officially tested and approved for use on Wii, but it's still just the same card as the non-branded). Keep an eye out on local store sales. I picked up my 2 4GB Kingston SDHC's for 20 bucks during a sale.

Last edited:
Thanks, bradleyd. But that card I linked to in my previous post, I wanted to know is that the right kind of card? I can't tell by the photo Amazon is using if it's too small or just the right size.

Perhaps this one, although I can't tell the difference other than the price.

Last edited:
Back