Wii Component HDTV to VGA!!!!

your prolly 100% right but 200-300$ for those is what makes me keep the hope alive for something cheaper, lol.

well, i guess im not lookin for a perfect conversion, but something that enables HD with wii and looks better then a regular signal.

My projector only accepts HD through the VGA input, so I bought a 50' Component to VGA cable to hook my 360. The picture looks great, no signal loss. Here's a link to someone on ebay who sells them. I didn't buy my cable from him, but I did just buy a component switcher form him, and it was a smooth transaction.

Component to VGA Cable

whats the name of the switcher? can you give a possible link?

maybe you can use that cable you posted instead just with a component in to componenet out switch/adapter. i was searching for Componenet Female to VGA out cables and like... theres none.

thanks for the response.

Thing is you have to remember 480p isn't *really* HD, at least not like your TV, or Xbox, or PS3 is. All you'll get running 480p is a bit brighter picture and a bit sharper image. There's no way to run HD to get a higher quality image without a scaler to 720p or 1080i/p.

I'm not pretending to be an expert, just my understanding of this, I might wel be wrong.

LastLine said:
Thing is you have to remember 480p isn't *really* HD, at least not like your TV, or Xbox, or PS3 is. All you'll get running 480p is a bit brighter picture and a bit sharper image. There's no way to run HD to get a higher quality image without a scaler to 720p or 1080i/p.

I'm not pretending to be an expert, just my understanding of this, I might wel be wrong.

This is of course correct, 480p isnt HD but it has twice the information than 480i and you get gigher quality with the component due to the separation of the color signals but 480p is way better than 480i though there is no way to display the image at 720p without using the scaler as you say.

Oh aye, exactly. I just wanted to clarify with the OP mentioning HD. I know a lot of people get mixed up on them.

ahh i get it. what i mean then is the EDTV thing. i just wanna run 480p on my projector lol. sorry for the mixup :p

i was under the impression 480p was HD just the lowest level. sorry for bein noob

Hey... how about using this thing on a widescreen with 16:9 mode on the wii at 480p? Will it work?

yea. ive decided to get one now. great product. IT wont produce or emulate and HD image. but u dont need it really unless u got a huge HD tv. all it will do is allow the Wii to use the EDTV/HDTV image at 480p with the HD cables, which is still awsome. WAY WAY better quality then the RCA (composite).

in the wii settings u can change it to widescreen or 4:3. the TV might be able too do widescreen settings too.

here read this review if your interested:
Review: Component VGA Adapter

i found it very helpfull and it has some tips on using the device.

Last edited:
yes I know the wii has the option for 16:9 display but is this component to VGA device capable of displaying widescreen correctly at 480p? It doesnt specify that it supports it. Is it a given? Is anyone using this thing on a widescreen?

no it doesnt say so but, im sure it can, all its doing is converting the image from component to VGA. if you want u can wait till i get one and post my findings cause i use the widescreen mode too. but ebay keeps ****ing me with ghay bidders lol :p

A component to VGA transcoder is the device that allows a component signal to be input properly and nearly transparently into a VGA input on projectors and monitors. I have been using an Audio Authority transcoder for 480p DVD playback for the last 6 years without a problem, and also use a Key Digital transcoder for my HDTV satellite signal. Also these devices do just convert the the connector and do not alter the signal, meaning if it's an animorphic widescreen image, it will stay that way.

Now as far as newer HDTV's are concerned I agree that running a 480p signal alone into one of these sets results in unsatisfactory video quality on the whole. Now if you have an HDTV with an internal scaler/processor (Sony XBR1 and XBR2 series have this) than you can run an interlaced signal in and it will upscale the signal pretty well. But if your projector/monitor doesn't have internal scaling than you will be best served to use something like the DVDO iScan VP20/VP30/VP50 video processors, which are unfortunately anywhere from $800 to $1500.

Back