Wii Component

Office234

WiiChat Member
Mar 17, 2009
I've just bought a wii and have a sharp aquous TV. I have 1 HDMI 3 Scart and jacks for a yellow white and red. I've bought a 3rd party component cable but can only get Black and white picture but can get sound. im guessing therefore my tv doesn't support component. Is there an adapter or something i can buy? or can anyone help?

Cheers

I've just bought a wii and have a sharp aquous TV. I have 1 HDMI 3 Scart and jacks for a yellow white and red. I've bought a 3rd party component cable but can only get Black and white picture but can get sound. im guessing therefore my tv doesn't support component. Is there an adapter or something i can buy? or can anyone help?

Cheers

1 HDMI, 3 Scart, and 1 composite input (yellow = composite video, red and white = right and left audio) on your TV? How are you connecting the component cable (green/blue/red = Y/Cb/Cr video, red and white = right and left audio) to the TV?

You may need an adapter like this: http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/YUV-RGB-SCART.html

Note that your TV must support RGB through scart with that particular adapter.

You could also get a Wii cable that goes direct to scart as well and forgo the adapter altogether (of course if you already have a component cable then the adapter would be the cheaper way to go): [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Official-Wii-SCART-Cable/dp/B000JJRV8Q[/ame]

Note that your TV must support RGB through scart with this cable as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help brad. Think i'm gonna get one of those. the only problem is that the wires on the component cable I bought are green, blue, black, red and white. green i've figured is video and the others are audio but i only get it in black and white but it does upscale the quality compared to the normal scart lead you get in the wii box. wuill this adapter help? The colours of the wires confused me.

Thanks for the help brad. Think i'm gonna get one of those. the only problem is that the wires on the component cable I bought are green, blue, black, red and white. green i've figured is video and the others are audio but i only get it in black and white but it does upscale the quality compared to the normal scart lead you get in the wii box. wuill this adapter help? The colours of the wires confused me.

I suppose they have swapped colours on the video side (instead of red, they made it black, so as not to confuse it with the red for audio).

In this case, the green/blue/black connectors are for video (component splits the video into separate colour channels, this allows a much better display of colours than in a single composite line). The red and white connectors would still be for right/left audio.

The scart adapter included with the Wii is only for the composite video (to use with the yellow/red/white cable that comes with the Wii). It can't be used with a component cable (you will only get black and white like you are now). Since your TV has the composite input built-in (yellow/red/white) you don't need the included adapter.

Only using the green connector for video will result in a black and white display, since all the colour information isn't being fed to the TV. I assume you've got the audio hooked up correctly (red/white connectors from cable into red/white jacks on TV) and that you're running the green connector on the cable into the yellow video jack on the TV (not using the blue and black connectors at all?). When you get an adapter, you will hook the black from the cable to red on the adapter, blue to blue, and green to green (the red/white audio connectors will connect to the red/white audio in jacks on the TV). Remember to go into the Wii settings and switch the resolution setting from 480i to 480p (*Edit, I think you already did that since you mentioned the upscale from the normal scart adapter), and to set it for widescreen if your TV is a widescreen.

Last edited:
Back