Wii DVD playback via software Download Petition- Please read and sign.

MasterJedi2U said:
W/e the bottom line is I don't believe for a second that Nintendo would release a brand new version of the Wii that has DVD playback capablity. And if they did so they had better be prepared to replace the ones we all have now.

You dont think they are going to do this, eh? It is already confirmed in Japan, and Nintendo has been hinting about doing it in the US already.

The Wii is a gaming console, not a home entertainment system... If you'd rather control dvd's with a game controller, go buy an xbox or playstation.

Just how many DVD players does one need hooked up to their tv? I think that is Nintendo's whole point. Most house's already have one or more Dvd players.

i have 2 hooked up to my tv... my xbox and a sony dvd recorder...im thinking of selling the dvd recorder

but it would be nice to play the dvd on your wii so you don't need a lot more stuff

i actually have 3 if you count HD-DVD player for xbox

really wish people would stop saying just go out and buy a $20 dvd player. yes they might be cheap. but no not everyone has the room for lots of boxes by the tv.

samriley said:
really wish people would stop saying just go out and buy a $20 dvd player. yes they might be cheap. but no not everyone has the room for lots of boxes by the tv.

Agreed. And also not that many scart or av in's on their tv's / projectors...

It's much more practical to use one box to perform as many functions as possible and not have multiple remotes lying all over the place!!

Even if Nintendo don't release a d-loadable option, I'm sure a chip/mod would sort things with an update...

I hope Nintendo change their minds if what people say is true about them not bothering with a software fix.

Signed.

I really wish people would stop saying that its alrite for Nintendo to create a brand new type of Wii less than a year after the launch that has DVD playback capability. Thats not right and its not fair to the majority of us who bought our Wiis at launch. And like the guys above me mentioned not everyone has a lot of space for a DVD Player, a VCR, and a gaming system besides the tv. Basically its the principle of the thing that bothers me.

snwboarderx said:
Just how many DVD players does one need hooked up to their tv? I think that is Nintendo's whole point. Most house's already have one or more Dvd players.
yep consoles should be for gaming, in my opinion.

Sovieto said:
yah it dosent have a drive capable of playing movie DVDs, so you whole thing is just kinda stupid and pointless

Glad to see this member is now banned. I just get a little bit of heartburn over people who respond in situations where it would flat out just be better to apply the principle of "if you don't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut..."

As for DVD playback, it is too bad that the drive itself is physically incapable of playing regular NTSC/PAL formatted DVD's.

I did up a spreadsheet of all my Wii-related expenditures thus far. And with only two retail-boxed games (plus about 6000 Wii points thus far purchased) I have already spent in excess of $600 US. I really am not looking forward to the prospect of additional hardware to achieve DVD playback.

Then again, I went into my Wii purchase with the plain knowledge that it would be for playing games and not movies/multimedia.

-Chewie

It is very true that a family household has multiple DVD players already. My tv alone has a PS2 (1), Xbox (2), A real DVD Player (3), a Chinese VCD/DVD player (4), and apparently My dad is going to buy another one. so thats 5 DVD players total in one room. Which quite frankly is pointless to add another one, Wii.

If Nintendo states they cant just manually upgrade the Wii to play DVDs with a patch via internet then there are probably legal issues, and or specific valid reasons to not release the patch.

I am sure even if Nintendo released a DVD capable Wii, they will not replace existing Wii's.

Doesn't Hacking your Wii Violate your Terms of Service? I am sure if you poke the wrong circuit and something doesnt work anymore and try to explain what this huge irregular mod chip thats been fused into your Wii circuit board is would be hell. So why does it seem so important just to play DVDs?
I say it is not. :p

MasterJedi2U said:
I really wish people would stop saying that its alrite for Nintendo to create a brand new type of Wii less than a year after the launch that has DVD playback capability. Thats not right and its not fair to the majority of us who bought our Wiis at launch. And like the guys above me mentioned not everyone has a lot of space for a DVD Player, a VCR, and a gaming system besides the tv. Basically its the principle of the thing that bothers me.

Which is exactly why I am patiently waiting my wii. Sure, i could have gotten it easily about a week after launch. But instead, I sit here, wishing I had a wii, but knowing that the new one will be worth it. So, yes, I do think that those of us that have waited do deserve dvd playback.

Yes and by the time you get yours something new will be on the way so why not enjoy it while you can. And im pretty sure its not even confirmed that anywere else but japan will get the wii with dvd player.

mocaw said:
Thanks for the polite reply!:nonod:

Show me the GOOD info you have on that. I'm sorry, but people already have hacked the wii to play DVDs- and it had nothing to do with the drive not being ready. Why would Nintendo pay extra just to make a non-standard DVD drive?

What do you think the Sonic Solutions software does? It's not hardware- it's software. The Wii firmware disables this function- and the Wii has no DVD playback software. This isn't a drive issue.

Keep drinking the Kool Aid...
wheres the proof of people hacking them just with software... :wtf:

and tell me, if it just needed to be "unlocked" why wouldnt they just let it play DVDs, whats the holdback if they can do it via an update?

Back