Wii looks Terrible

thanks for all the comments. much appreciated. to clear things up though...i am in no way,shape or form comparing the graphics to the 360 and/or expecting the same results. i have purchased the official Wii component cables and changed the setting to EDTV/Hd at 480p and have tried it on all the settings except that what big williiy prev stated about the screen size which is my next test.
i dont expect great graphics its not what i want. i had a gcube and to some extent they have similarities in game titles and to put it bluntly "baby games with baby graphics" which is fine cos i like that, i just want a little more smooth graphics around the edges, look at the close up of the bowling lane. i know the anti liasing is poor on wii games but that is like stepped.

if this is normal please just state - if thats the case then fine ill move on, its just some people say it looks really good and smooth and thats all im trying to do.
thanks everyone

FRuMMaGe said:
I see what you mean.

Have you tried lowering the contrast? Or setting it to Movie mode?

yes av tried everything, game mode /movie mode/ standard and contrast and all other options from 0% to 100%. iv turned the edge mode thingy off and various other stuff. someone suggested sharpness and when lowering this it just blurs it all but it does smooth it all.
thanks frummage

I have a SDTV (Standard not HD) and the Wii looks marvelous and sharp..

Check that you have a 480i or 480p (with comonent cables) in your tv and check the aspect ratio..

Try watching regular non Hi definition tv on an HDTV and the video will look strange.. same wth the Wii if you are using a higher resolution greater than 480

There are also Wii settings (menu) to set this up (in the console Wii's side)

my guess is its just the t.v.

i have a samsung DLP and my HD cable box has a bunch of different outputs... HDMI,DVI,Componet,composite,S-video... now granted HD channels look the best but i acctually have to switch between HDMI to watch an HD channels "there is about 50"... and S-video to watch a standard channels"well over 300 channels" Just because its an HD box and an HD t.v. doesnt mean everything istantly becimes HD.... Needless to say its not in HD mode alot because there isnt enough channels that support it yet

and if i leave the HDMI on the cable box and try to watch something not HD it looks like Junk barely viewable ... all choppy and digitized trying to make it work...

you have to set the picture quality and standards for every input channel... just go to your setup page on the t.v.'s menu adjust everything you can and see if it makes a differance... if not i hope you kept the recipt because regular t.v. will look like garbage too... the wii might not be HD but its still putting out better signal than most t.v. stations

HPIM1563.JPG

HPIM1568.JPG

HPIM1566.JPG

HPIM1571.JPG

Here are some more pics, again double click to enlarge.
Thanks

My guess is that it's a combination of the large TV magnifying the imperfections of standard-def 480-line output, as well as the fact that you lack the natural anti-aliasing that comes from a CRT tube display. So the imperfections are made big and crisp. Perhaps the upscaling of the Samsung too having an effect.

My suggestion? Try hooking your Wii up to someone's 30" or smaller CRT and see what you think. That'll confirm whether it's your Wii or the TV.

to be honest both freeview channels and my Virgin cable look crap as well. but i have got used to them as guys at electrical shop just said "thats the way they are" until you get a HD box.

sremick said:
My guess is that it's a combination of the large TV magnifying the imperfections of standard-def 480-line output, as well as the fact that you lack the natural anti-aliasing that comes from a CRT tube display. So the imperfections are made big and crisp. Perhaps the upscaling of the Samsung too having an effect.

My suggestion? Try hooking your Wii up to someone's 30" or smaller CRT and see what you think. That'll confirm whether it's your Wii or the TV.

so if its the TV (which it probably is) then basically thats that and just have to live with it. if so thats fine, thats all i wanted to know. Thanks

even with an HD box only the HD channels themselves will look any better...all the regular channels still look bad with the box...

im guessing its in your settings itself by the looks of that.. granted its a 40" t.v with alot of Res, but thats pretty bad it shouldn't pull out the defects that bad on a 40 inch... have you messed with each individulal input channel settings yet?
I might even try going from componet back to composite... alot of newer t.v's automatically upconvert when they have a source capable of HD...

even having 480i then have the t.v. automatically "fit to screen" in the settings will look better than trying to pull HD out of it...

Last edited:
I think you must have got the setting on your TV wrong. Most likely the aspect ratio. This should be set to 16:9 or wide screen. My wii looks great on HDTV with component cable. I really don't think your problem is a wii problem. Even though Wii graphic is not the best, it's certainly not bad.

Do check your TV setting again, sounds like you must have somehow zoomed the image on your TV, check your manual on how to un-zoom your tv.

Hope this hlep.

damofr said:
hi all, iv just signed up today so sorry if this has been covered numerous times.

i have a SAMSUNG LE40M87BDX LCD tv and looks awesome with the xbox 360. thats with a hdmi cable so i know i cant expect the same with the wii but.
i got a wii for xmas and it just looks terrible. on wii sports the miis and like the bowling pins are just really jagged and the anti liasing thing jsut doesnt appear to do anything.

so i went out and bought the component cables, plugged them in and it has made no differance at all and im very dissapointed cos i love the wii.

i have put it on the edtv 480p and tried all the other settings and diffenrt settings on my tv and just dont know what to do. my tv is 40inch and when bowling it takes the whole screen up and you cant even see the pins down the lane, its just a mass of blur.
mario party 8 is the same.

please help. thanks
Well your only playing Wii Sports and Mario Party 8! They are definitely not graphical powerhouses!!!

I think its just a TV. Since the Wii's graphics isnt so great and has no 1080 resolution then the image is basically stretched which is why it looks so jagged. All games look better on smaller TVs and better on bigger TVs when it doesnt support 720p or 1080p because it becomes stretched. So maybe play the Wii on a smaller TV? Which now that I look over a bit, someone else just said basically the same thing. So yea, I agree with him.

P.S. Why must people always criticize other peoples posts? As if writing in proper grammer/spelling is a rule. Also why must people always explain things all in detail, why not just use common sense?

and yes im talking about sremick making pointless arguements about tinklestar's posts.

just checked TV. its on :
740x480 at 60hz
screen size is 16:9

tried other ones like zoom, super wide 4:3 etc and they all look worse. still jagged but then stretched.
thanks though

Back