Wii Mod Chips

Kris Bulldog

Banned
Feb 14, 2007
Hi i was thinking of getting the wiikey for my wii as we havent really got the games that america etc has. I was wondering how easy is it to fit this as if it is hard and time consuming would it be better to get someone to do it for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated :aureola:

If you're good at soldering and have the tools, I say go for it. If you're not used to working with electronics and small point soldering, then I would recommend having someone else do it. I'm decent with a soldering iron, and I had to redo mine 3 times before I got it right, took me better part of a day.

I wanted to ask a question about a mod too. (I know I'll get flamed, but here in Cyprus it takes ages to get the games).

Wiikey specifications mention "Partial NTSC Support" when you put it on a PAL console - like mine. It also says that the modchip's firmware (?) will be updated in some way in the future to avoid Nintendo's updated etc. My question is whether an update for instance could trigger "Full NTSC Support" instead of partial. I don't want to buy a modchip and a month later to see a Wiikey v2 "Full NTSC support" for instance. Could anyone be more specific?

You can indeed play some NTSC games on the PAL wii. Future firmware updates will most likely increase this compatibility. However, there are also third party programs (free) that will "patch" a NTSC .iso file to PAL before you burn it. Another thing to look into. You do have to be careful though. For instance, many PAL users downloaded the NTSC super paper mario (a practice I do not condone). The game triggered a wii update, but because the disc was a NTSC disc, it used the NTSC firmware update. It's bricked a lot of PAL wii's. I would check the compatibility lists before running a NTSC game on your PAL wii. Try checking the forums here for lists of compatible games: http://tinyurl.com/266nvg

And if you EVER have a NTSC disc in there and it mentions a system update, eject and hit the forums to see what's going on.

Also, I wouldn't worry about hardware updates to the wiikey. Any update they release will be software based, and you'll be able to take advantage of it. I wouldn't however expect full NTSC support. There will always be some games that just won't work.

hmm I would welcome a kind of a software hack more than a chip that requires me to open the wii and solder stuff. Too bad there isnt a program like that :( cause I really need to back up my games.

Problem with a software hack is that it will be very shortlived. Most likely the next wii update will delete your software hack. The DVD drive hacks will continue to work through system updates. The wiikeys aren't terribly expensive either, although they are a pain in the butt to install. It's worth it, I barely saved my wii sports disc, I can't believe I was able to back it up with all those scratches. Amazing what drunk people can do to a disc ;-)

thanks for the help but who can i get to do something like this for me? As if they piss it up bibi wii warrenty and hello broken wii. I dont want that lol

I'm not exactly sure how to go about finding someone to mod your wii locally, however if it is botched I've heard that nintendo is replacing wii's broken through modding as well. Don't quote me on that, it's just what I've heard. I'm guessing their busy enough that they don't take the time to disassemble the wii's that come in for repairs just to see if the solder is perfect. I guess they're just replacing them and moving on. I wouldn't know tho, my install works fine :)

Ya might wanna hold off on a modchip due to the Super Paper Mario dealio.

Might ending up breaking your wii. (And it wouldn't be too fun to have a broken wii if you wanted to just play imports when Nintendo bricks 'em to keep piraters away. I'd wait on the Action Replay dealio)

The bricking was because PAL users were updating their wii's with NTSC firmware that was on the disc, it wasn't an intentional action Nintendo did, and it's easily avoidable.

if you have never solderd before, don't touch the Wii.

a) you will probably break stuff like ribbon cables trying to take it apart.
b) if your soldering is crap and you bridge points with solder that shouldn't be bridged (eg. you put solder between little points in the Wii that shouldnt be there), you can suff the console.

If you want to try solder something start with one of those old PS1 consoles as they are bigger and easier to solder to inside

bubs,
I'm lookin at chipin the wii. sounds like ya have done 1 or 2 already. Its seems pretty easy to solder, as its only 5 points......wondering, is this harder to solder than the xbox? That was cake 4 me and was my first solder attempt :)

feedback appriciated.
Later,
Auk5150

Back