wii & plasma

zraductus

WiiChat Member
Nov 13, 2006
im sitting on my pc surfing the net looking for news of when will be the wii available again i missed my oportunity at launch & black friday.

im preparing my game room for the wii.......kinda like a parent prepares a room for a newborn child......

i live in a apartment and i have a spare room wich will be the next gen game room i have painted the room white i went shopping to buy a new air conditioner i ordered a dsl account i got a new 7.1 dolby digital dts sound system got a new couch (white one) i got a neon blue lamp for the room kinda like the blue light on the wii i put in there my 60 inch hdtv that i used to watch tv i got a lcd tv in my sleeping room so its no biggie.......but then my mom buyed 50 "plasma monitor thinking it was a plasma tv and since she doesent use it she gave it to me

so i thought im set ,the only thing missing is the wii.......if i ever find one its like finding a needle in a haystack....anyways will the wii and plasma get along
it wont burn the image or bring me the joy of dead black pixels on screen????

it wont damaged my plasma monitor is it?....is it?!!!!!

oh i forgot .......i already got the component cables online and im planning on using them all im missing is the wii.......

i dont know about the plasma thingy but this weekend is a good time for wii's go to your ebgames/gamestop early friday, your walmart early saturday(or early wendsay next week, may depend on where you live, my advice try both days) and your best buy early early sunday. If you cant get one then it'll be easy to get one at eb/gamestop closer to x-mas. alright youre going to hear the wii looks horrible on an hdtv without component cables...well it doesnt look that bad trust me...unless your really,really crazy about how zelda looks.:cornut:

I also use a plasma when another family member is using the big 61" HDTV. It's a 42" Plasma and it plays the Wii well, been using it since launch and no problems. Just remember to go to the display settings of your Wii and turn on "burn-in reduction". I guess it helps from destroying your plasma. Nothing wrong with it so far so you're good to go with a Wii with your plasma.

i have component cables and i think the plasma monitor has the inputs for it but im not 100% if the wii wont damage it in the long run.....anyone help

hey man thanks for the info ill go to eb games,gamestop friday then and if not saturday and sunday at walmart

if when i finally i get my grubby hands on a wii and money rains from the sky
and still ur wii doesent damage ur plasma ill guess ill be allright

Don't get a plasma. They are expensive, and you spend all that money for it too burn out like a lightbulb. The also burn in really easy. I've seen them get burn in after just a few minutes. DLP and LCD are good options.

New Plasma's dont burn in easy like they use too. I got a Philips 42' and I have never had a problem with burn in. My Wii and Plasma are like Peas and Carrots lol.

registerednerd said:
Don't get a plasma. They are expensive, and you spend all that money for it too burn out like a lightbulb. The also burn in really easy. I've seen them get burn in after just a few minutes. DLP and LCD are good options.

Agreed, DLP and LCD are the way to go.

2 points.

1. I've got my wii hooked up to my 42" pioneer plasma. Looks awesome and it hasn't burned in... It's always a possibility with a plasma, but no need for bulb replacement.... Don't worry about the wii burning it in... just don't be a moron and leave it paused for hours... Plus the wii has a burn in reduction mode...

2. flat panels are the way to go and plasma has better color and contrast than lcd. Plus lcd's all have the "screen door" effect, which i can't stand...

Okay, sorry, I can't really help considering I really am not a TV genious.

But - can we see a pic of that room when you get the Wii? It sounds awesome and I would like to have my own Wii room. Sounds sexy.. :D

Homesrfan said:
Okay, sorry, I can't really help considering I really am not a TV genious.

But - can we see a pic of that room when you get the Wii? It sounds awesome and I would like to have my own Wii room. Sounds sexy.. :D

Ditto. I gotta see this gaming room.

Plasma is fine, and the burn in effect is less an issue as the first 3 or 4 generations.
LCD has some issues with smearing while gaming. At least if you buy a cheap one and mostly during FPS type games.
DLP is fine as well, great blacks, and high contrast ratio's.

Now the issue I would wonder about would be the IR remote control having an issue being read over the Plasma, or LCD for that matter. I have an old school CRT so I don't have that issue.
When I set up home systems, and people cheap out and buy IR repeaters, we have had issues with LCD and Plasma's. We have to use Plasma Friendly IR recievers because of the high light output from both units. From what everyone on this forum has said, you should not have an issue with that.
Also, if it's a monitor and not a Plasma, you should definately buy the component cables. it will give you a much better picture as well.
Just remember if you plan on hanging it on the wall, you have to supply a wire for the IR BAR so that you can mount it on the plasma.

The sensor bar does fine on LCD (my wii was on one for a while), but I havn't tried it on a plasma. This is a good point. The biggest sensor bar problem I've had is... (drumroll), lights. I've discovered if you point the Wiimote into my room, where there are two lamps, it picks them up as if they were the sensor bar.

Yeah, I am not sure exactly how the remote IR works, I think the IR just bounces off them and reads it that way, but I do not know for sure so don't quote me on that.
LCD interference is not as bad as Plamsa. Plasma is just an IR hog.
Florecent lighting is the worst. It just kills IR signal. Ambient lighting from sunlight can also be a problematic issue but I have not had any problems with my Wii yet.

Also, for you who want Plasma for your gaming monitor. If you do happen to get a burned image because you paused your game and it left an image, all you need to do is put on a full white screen for 20 minutes or so, and it will wash it away. Usually you don't do any permanant damage unless you leave it like that for more than 48 hours.

Back