Wii Playing DVD's through Homebrew app?

this def interests me in the sense thats its a very good idea to be able to do that playing dvds on my wii would be handy purely because its not going through the scart and my dvd player is not playing ball much lately so im going to look into this

well the problem is that unless you already have the homebrew channel installed, you won't be able to if you've already updated to menu 4.0. the latest update blocks the ability to install the homebrew channel.

Also, the DVD player feature causes the laser to be run in reverse of default. It wouldn't be surprising to me if it somehow adversely affected the life of the drive.

What? Nintendo has always used reverse-spinning discs as an anti-piracy measure.
no they haven't. this has always been dominant rumor even during gamecube era.
i've watched modded wii's and the gamecube could be opened while spinning. it's the same direction. :yesnod:

the disc's don't spin backwards. the disc read direction is different.

laser wortking towards the inside vs working towardsa the outside.

But it goes from outside to in.
ah! this is the first i've heard it explained so clearly compared to "it reads/spins backwards" so why would the GC read head default to the enter of the drive? prolly because it's the same drive but the software controls it differently.

if it reads from the outside-in i would highly doubt the drives would be physically different at all... it would just be a software change and not put any undue wear on the drive for reading a different direction.

if it reads from the outside-in i would highly doubt the drives would be physically different at all... it would just be a software change and not put any undue wear on the drive for reading a different direction.
when it comes to video games, the head is always jumping around anyway, so the head is often moving along its track in both directions.

i use my wii to watch movies a fair bit. broke ass students can't afford stuff that many people think are cheap.

Well a Wii costs a hell of lot more than a DVD player... so my math says if you can afford a Wii... :devil:

Well a Wii costs a hell of lot more than a DVD player... so my math says if you can afford a Wii... :devil:
the wii could have been a gift...
$30 for a DVD player is $30.
if you can spend a few minutes to set your wii up in DVD mode for free then that's $30 for something i'd rather pay for.

i remember last year people would shoot down threads that mention DVD part of a wii is a ridiculous feature to request, but no one thinks VC games are lame even if they have a classic NES in their closet... no one thinks the internet browser is ridiculous when they have multiple PCs in their house.

people like the DVD/Blueray on 360 and PS..

People crack me up. Can't afford seems to = too cheap to buy anymore. Can't afford games or DVDs so they get copies from their friends etc... No wonder the movie studios, music industry, and game companies get so pissed over piracy anymore. People essentially stealing **** left and right.

I must be getting old. Cuz I know for sure when I was younger, and we couldn't afford something, it meant WE DIDN'T GET IT. It didn't mean it was ok to go steal it. It didn't mean it was OK to go do something illegal in some manner to get it. It meant we did without. Something the average person today seems to know little about...

Back