Wii powers off randomly

Kittie Rose

WiiChat Member
Dec 11, 2006
After about an hour or so of play, sometimes only a few minutes, the Wii powers itself off and will not turn on again until the cord is removed from the back and plugged in again.

What's going on here? Seems to be a ridiculously common problem, but typical unhelpful internet has posted no solutions.

I've actually never heard of this one. I would say try plugging the wii into a different socket and if that doesn't work maybe give the wii some rest. My 360 occasionally has this problem and after I give it some rest it usually starts working.

It was plugged in at home here, and in college 150 miles away, and about 2 weeks ago to boot, did it then too. Not sure I could use a socket any more "different" than that. Still happens.

Well, I'd guess you should call Nintendo tomorrow. They'll be more helpful than anyone on here anyhow.

They probably won't. They'll just ask for me to send it into them. I'll have to pay for repairs then. I can't afford it, as my DS is also broken; I have to fix that. And my laptop screen. And my guitar.

I am so ****ing unlucky. The only one of those that's in any way down to personal clumsiness is the DS, all the others were things that happened on their own. Though really the DS thing was down to a chip in the cap of the bottle...

Don’t want to scare you but it almost sounds like a short circuit in the power slot. Or the power block got a short in it that’s its rare, but that can happen as well. Also if any of the fans is covered of too long, it shuts down as well or prevent over heating. Also if you have it in a closed space, take it out and see it if that fixes the problem.

Managed to play ur mr gay for over an hour and a half today, only for it to cut out during a Boss fight :0

Kittie Rose said:
Managed to play ur mr gay for over an hour and a half today, only for it to cut out during a Boss fight :0

Did you save a lot at least? (Remembering that Galaxy gives you a lot of saving opportunities)

It sounds like you have the same problem I had the spring after the launch. I thought it was my power cable. The Wii would suddenly stop as if there was no power going to it. So, I unplugged the cable for about 5 - 10 minutes and then it worked. It did this off and on for about a week until it stopped doing it altogether.

I have no clue what that was about but it hasn't happened since even with all of the bumping around and traveling I do with it. Hopefully yours will be the same case as mine and the problem will sort itself out. Hopefully.

Well, it lasted a little longer than normal during today's Galaxy session, I think. Normally it's less than an hour.

Interestingly, it gets quite hot, could this be causing it? My laptop gets much hotter than that when playing games like Oblivion, so I didn't think much of it. But maybe the Wii is very fickle about heat? I know Nintendo doesn't tend to use as powerful cooling systems as other consoles.

Me too

This just started happening. I was in the middle of playing black ops online and all of a sudden it shuts off >:O I was soo damn mad because I was getting major killstreak too i tried plugging it in a different outlet but IT STILL DOES IT :wiiconsole::sick:

Back