Wii/Ps3/360 sales.

Ronald

WiiChat Member
Nov 19, 2006
I'm a little confused on this topic. Has the wii really sold more units than the ps3, and how close is it to selling as much as the 360. I'm talking over all here from when it released to now. I mean, did microsoft outsmart Nintendo and sony by getting a head start by releasing early and wouldn't that be the reason they have more sales?

I went to Walmart today and i noticed they had four ps3's on the shelves, bout about a month ago there were line ups for both, and guess what, NO NINTENDO WII'S!!!! So does that mean the wiis are selling more than the ps3's? or are people just sick of lineing up and the ps3s have more sales?

The wii sold loads more than the ps3 because there were more wiis available than ps3s. And why would you even compare with the 360. The 360 has sold like 10 million, it has been out for over a year.

So far the xbox has sold the most and been out the longest, wii comes in second but is the cheapest and ps3 in last with the least amount available worldwide.

can somebody give me some numbers or an estimate please?

vagrant said:
The wii sold loads more than the ps3 because there were more wiis available than ps3s. And why would you even compare with the 360. The 360 has sold like 10 million, it has been out for over a year.

but i saw 4 ps3's on the shelves to buy at walmart and no wii's is this because people dont want them or theres more now, lol or both?

That's because after a lack of systems at launch, people loss interest in the console.

And yes, Sony has hauled ass as of late to get a bunch more systems out. And places like bestbuy held onto a bunch so they could have a large amount to sell at once.

So is sony gonna go down hill or is it expected to boom bak up? I Really want to see wii exceed and screw ps3 over just like sony did to the dreamcast and almost did to the gc lol. It would be interesting to see wii back on top and ps3 doing bad. So will it go down hill do u suppose?

Noone can tell the future. And did you just say what sony almost did to the wii....

And Sony didn't kill Dreamcast, Sega killed Dreamcast. Dreamcast was actually very successful sales wise. Like 300,000 preorders.

Last edited:
it will be interresting to see how the ps3 does in the UK, i doubt it will live up to the sales of the wii even though no one can get their hands on one at the moment.

Ronald said:
I'm a little confused on this topic. Has the wii really sold more units than the ps3, and how close is it to selling as much as the 360. I'm talking over all here from when it released to now. I mean, did microsoft outsmart Nintendo and sony by getting a head start by releasing early and wouldn't that be the reason they have more sales?

I went to Walmart today and i noticed they had four ps3's on the shelves, bout about a month ago there were line ups for both, and guess what, NO NINTENDO WII'S!!!! So does that mean the wiis are selling more than the ps3's? or are people just sick of lineing up and the ps3s have more sales?

Xbox took a chance releasing the 360 a year early. They risked people not buying their product because the Xbox just came out 4 years earlier and history says consoles last 5 to 7 years. They risked Sony raising their processing power and putting out a product that is way more powerful the 360.

Sony made a mistake putting out a product that was way too expensive and it did not offer many advantages over the 360 (that is several hundred dollars less).

Nintendo offered a product that is very inexpensive and looks even more inexpensive when compared to the PS3. The WII only cost $50 more then the SNES cost that was released 16 years earlier. They offered new control method. They put 3 million consoles out in the first 3 months of launch.

I predict the PS3 will drop their price and some of the franchise games will come through.

Wii sales will slow very soon and a lack of great 3rd party games and the failure of Nintendo to capitalize of the online function will make sales drop off.

Microsoft sales will slow due to them trying to nickel and dime their customers to death.

A year from now all of the consoles will have the same sales.

If Nintendo manages a price drop and comes through on their promised online features, they will lead the sales figures.

what do you think?

vagrant said:
That's because after a lack of systems at launch, people loss interest in the console.

And yes, Sony has hauled ass as of late to get a bunch more systems out. And places like bestbuy held onto a bunch so they could have a large amount to sell at once.

I'll kindly disagree with that statement and say that people don't lose interest due to lack of availability, they lose interest because of games, cost, etc.

But that's not really the point now is it.....the point is, they're losing money, and they're running out of time to sell these systems.

2ballscrewball said:
I predict the PS3 will drop their price and some of the franchise games will come through.

Wii sales will slow very soon and a lack of great 3rd party games and the failure of Nintendo to capitalize of the online function will make sales drop off.

Microsoft sales will slow due to them trying to nickel and dime their customers to death.

A year from now all of the consoles will have the same sales.

If Nintendo manages a price drop and comes through on their promised online features, they will lead the sales figures.

what do you think?

I'll kindly disagree with this as well, at least parts.

I do think Sony will bring some of it's franchise games through, however, I think that it won't provide such a boost to allow it to be on the same level as the Wii and 360 in sales a year from now.

Half of the Wii gamers could give 2 s***s whether there's online play, or at the very least don't care whether it comes along 2 months from now or a year from now. A lot of the people buying the system are either new gamers, or very casual gamers. Though I do think Wii sales will drop off, I don't think it will be a drastic drop-off due to online compatability (which should come along very soon anyway)

As far as the 360 goes, though I'm quite sure that a lot of the 360 players are tired of being nickel and dimed (keep in mind that's just current 360 players)....I don't think they're tired of games such as Gears of War or Halo 3, I certainly will be selling my soul at some point this summer in order to afford a 360 by the time Halo 3 arrives.

Essentially, I believe that, come next Christmas, Wii sales will have dropped, 360 sales will have risen a bit, and the PS3 may just have sent Sony under, if not close.

Leaving the Wii and 360 with fairly similar sales.

Only 7 million more units to be sold until the Wii passes the 360 in sales...

TheMix said:
I'll kindly disagree with that statement and say that people don't lose interest due to lack of availability, they lose interest because of games, cost, etc.

But that's not really the point now is it.....the point is, they're losing money, and they're running out of time to sell these systems.

I'll unkindly disagree with your disagreement. People DO lose interest due to lack of availability. A lot of the hoopla around a console launch, is people want to have it right away, be in that elite group of people who finally have it. After one realizes they have to wait to get it, it just doesn't seem as necessary to get it right away.

And edit a post if you want to add more, don't multipost in a row.

Back