Wii remote problem (Not in tutorials I think)

MRMUNCHIEZ

WiiChat Member
Jul 25, 2007
I've just purchased a Wii yesterday, and I've noticed that my remote is a bit off.

Instead of pointing at my TV screen, I have to face it towards a 3 O'Clock position and control it from there.

I've tried 3 remotes and tried reconnecting each one multiple times.
I've tried changing the lighting from near pitch black to full lights and sunlight.
I've moving my sensor to many places.

None of these have worked so far.

I've come to the conclusion that it has to do something with my house.

I put it on a marble floor, and I'm not sure if that effects it or not, and its around a lot of other electronics (karaoke, DvD, CD, VCR, surround sound, the works).

The thing that strikes it odd is that even when I move the sensor I still have to point at a certain area (my fireplace/buddah shrine thing). I'm not sure why it is directed to that area.

sounds pretty dodgy to me, the pointer can be a little bit sensitive when around 10 feet from the sensor bar, which is my personal annoyance, especially when the d pad or button presses work further away than that..

I'd be taking yours back, or at least the wiimotes.

The wiimote uses infra red to work out where the pointer is. All the sensor is, is two IR LED's. It may be that your fireplace is emitting IR that the wiimote is picking up instead of the sensor bar. Try it in another room and see if the pointer is still off.

@metjam the buttons use bluetooth to send the signals the pointer is infra red

If all your WiiMotes behaves the same disregarding the position of the sensor bar, you have other infra sources interference. Go to the sensor bar sensitivity calibration page in the set up and use your WiiMote to point around to identify objects causing the trouble. Fireplace, heater, even flood light can emit strong infrared signal. Unlike othe electronic remotes that the blinking frequency transmits the signal, the WiiMote detects a steady (actually 2 steady) infrared signal from the sensor bar. Look up at the 3 o'clock position and see what is generating addition infrared signal that overide the sensor bar.

Back