Wii Remote Stops Working While playing Wii game! Help

lotuzzdiabetes

WiiChat Member
Jan 30, 2018
The Wii remote I use stops working at certain times when I am playing wii games on my wii u. So far the only wii game I play has been Super Smash Bros Brawl. The Wii remote can stop working while I am brawling; the buttons do not work, i cannot pause either. The little led light indicating P1 remains solid no flashing lights occur until I press the sync button inside the remote and I could have lost the brawl as soon as I got the remote to work again. I got a game over or two on adventure mode because of this. I hear a wiimote plus or motionplus accessory is required but if SSBB doesn't require us to point the wiimote at the screen what good would this do?Somebody please help me and hopefully within the next hour and a half. Thank you.

Howdy. Wii Motion Plus is not required for Super Smash Bros. Brawl and has little, if not any effect on gameplay. Brawl was released in 2008 whereas the motion plus is from 2011, so Brawl has no programming of any sort to take advantage of motion plus.

As for your problem, this may be a common issue that occurs in a lot of old Wii Remotes (all of which are many years old at this point, of course!) The gears inside the remote that physically move around to work may sometimes become stuck or lodged due to dirt or dust build-up. I kid you not, try slapping your Wii Remote hard on the open palm of your hand, directional buttons-side facing up, battery pack side to your palm. Not hard enough to cause a bruise, but very firmly. I've fixed my own Wii Remote back in 2007 doing this, when it regularly had problems while I was playing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Please do not try this method with a solid surface or you may cause damage to your Wii Remote, hence the recommendation of your palm. If a dozen or so attempts at this does not fix your Wii Remote, you may have a different problem.

Back