Wii Software Sales Outmuscle Xbox 360

castlezelda

WiiChat Member
Feb 7, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
According to wii.nintendolife, seems like Wii games are outselling the 360 games-so it might go

• God
  • Church (to some people)
  • Wii
  • Satan, Devil, Lord of Darkness or Lucifer.

Trump Towers

Life is short - play more

Wii overtook Xbox 360 for lifetime software sales in the US last year, according to a new report.

Point-of-sales data from NPD show that 175m games have been snapped up in the 38 months that the Wii has now been on sale in this region. It is estimated that software for 360 has sold 164m units since that machine came to market.

During the final quarter of 2009 it is believed that the Wii accounted for 58% of total game sales, with a massive 30m sold in the month of December. This now makes the Wii the front-runner for lifetime software sales across all three platforms.

Leading that charge was no doubt Wii Play, recently revealed to be the best-selling game of all-time in the US. Following it up was probably Just Dance, though the less said about that, the better.

Over the first 38 months for Microsoft and Sony, it is estimated that Xbox 360 gamers bought 112m pieces of software between them, and close to 75m were picked up by PS3 owners. It would be interesting to know how much software DS owners bought, but sadly those figures were not available.

Heres the link gamasutra.com

I like that
Life is short - play more
ain't that the truth, right on.

Considering how many more Wii consoles have sold than the 360, that's no surprise.

Yeah now how many of those games were absolute ****? The majority of them. Yet I have played only a few 360 games that I haven't been satisfied with.

Yeah now how many of those games were absolute ****? The majority of them. Yet I have played only a few 360 games that I haven't been satisfied with.

Suprisingly it is probably pretty low. 1st party games would account for a very large percentage (over 70 million) and they are usually good quality. Good 3rd party games would probably be around 30-50 million too. So that would leave about 50-60 million for the less desirable titles (mini games compilations like Carnival Games and general shovelware). I'd roughly equate it to being 2 thirds of the Wii games sold being decent titles.

I'd say that the amount of titles that I've been less than impressed with is about equal for the 360 and Wii, although I don't own as many 360 games so if I put a percentage on it then the 360 would actually be higher (maybe say 5 out of 30 Wii games which would be 15% and 3 out of 10 Xbox 360 games which would be 30%). Most of the games I buy I know that I will like and so they don't disappoint me.

No, there aren't very many good 3rd party titles either.

I could list off a load of games that would total up to the kind of figures I mentioned, so it could just be that you don't know what is actually available.

I find plenty of 3rd party games that are good and there are some 3rd party titles that are amongst my favorite Wii games.

No, there aren't very many good 3rd party titles either.

I wouldn't go that far. I've played plenty of solid third party titles in the last 2 or so years that I've had my Wii. And it is a shame because the solid third party games don't sell as well as they should due to several factors (lack of advertising etc.). Not everyone will read about upcoming games on forums or various gaming sites. People need commercials, that sort of deal.

In the end though, sales be it units or games really doesn't matter to us. It's about people playing what they like to play and enjoying it for their own reasons. Just another thing for Nintendo to add to their list (and pockets) but who cares?

It's all subjective, really. I think most of us know the types of games that are popular on the Wii. If you are looking for a different type of game, buy the system approriate to your desires.

Back