Wii Sports Tennis tips

Aylwin

WiiChat Member
Jan 18, 2007
Finland
Wii Online Code
4138-5051-4068-6813
I've been playing this one for awhile (maybe total 3 hours?) and it's pretty easy in the beginning. My rating is now at about 1000 but I still don't really know how to play this game 'properly'. I guess I need to start learning as I'm no longer able to beat the computer. So, could you experts out there please share some tips?

What I do know:

- If you time it right, you can hit a fast power serve. I can't do this consistently yet but I've read in another thread that you should hit the ball right when the ball reaches its peak.

- If you hit the ball early, it goes cross court. If you hit it late it goes down the baseline or to the right (if you're right-handed and hitting a forehand).

What I don't know:

- How to do lobs, top spin, etc. What are the techniques for hitting the ball differently? I can't seem to maintain consistency in this regard.

By the way, I've notice that simply shaking the controller causes the racquet to swing. It doesn't matter if it's a forehand or backhand. You can shake it exactly the same way. I've tried swinging the controller 'the right way' but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I don't know if people would count this as a tip or not - but it is something I noticed while playing doubles against the computer with my housemate Wedensday night.

The front mii - CAN JUMP LIKE HELL! but you have to time the swing right.

this can cause major problems for computer opponents and human oposittion aswell if they are not expecting it...

to to a lob just hit it like an uppercut.

to do a topspin , when i hit the ball , i swing the remote from the front to the back while bringing it near my torso.

hard to explain , but my move looks like a 7 , start from the bottom to the top , this way the balls goes straight , then bounce to the right . pretty cool if your oponent is ready to do a backhand but it appear on the other side when it bounce ;)

Drizzt

Drizzt Do'Urden said:

to do a topspin , when i hit the ball , i swing the remote from the front to the back while bringing it near my torso.

hard to explain , but my move looks like a 7 , start from the bottom to the top , this way the balls goes straight , then bounce to the right . pretty cool if your oponent is ready to do a backhand but it appear on the other side when it bounce ;)

Drizzt

Correct, it's like your holding a tennis racket. If you can topspin in real tennis, chances are you can do it in Wii Sports.

Drizzt Do'Urden said:
hard to explain , but my move looks like a 7 , start from the bottom to the top , this way the balls goes straight , then bounce to the right . pretty cool if your oponent is ready to do a backhand but it appear on the other side when it bounce
Drizzt

Im not sure if is the same way you do it, but for the top spin/alternate bounce thing... as i hold the wii-mote back ready to swing i have it flat (buttons facing up), then as i swing towards the screen i twist my hand so the back of the remote is facing the TV screen. takes good timing.
i'v found that it can go horribly wrong though - sometimes i accidently lob it at the same time cuasing the ball to spin way out.

fun times :D

Last edited:
Maybe the reason that he can't do those is because he thinks just shaking the controller does exactly the same thing

Brawny said:
Maybe the reason that he can't do those is because he thinks just shaking the controller does exactly the same thing
Good point! :lol: Actually, I resorted to mere shaking after I came to the conclusion that I couldn't control the swing no matter what I did. But thanks to some tips I'm a bit better now.

I'm able to do that power serve more often now. I'm also able to do top spin fairly consistently using that "wii-mote-to-the-hip" move. I can't quite get lobbing to work even though the technique seems pretty straight forward. And I can't figure out how to do that funny bounce shot.

I'm improving now so thanks for the tips, guys! And keep 'em coming! :)

Aylwin said:
I'm also able to do top spin fairly consistently using that "wii-mote-to-the-hip" move.

I didn't really understand the "7" and "wii-mote-to-the-hip" explanation... could someone try again at explaining it? (sorry if I'm dense)

I have been playing a couple days now

I find that the swing doesn't matter and only the timing seems to matter.
I have have read this about people saying they can do spins and what not.
Personally I don't see it I can back hand any ball and the dude swings and hits no matter how I swing back hand forehand up down left right flick of the wrist all seems to do exactly the same thing.
Speed and location seems to matter on timing only.
I usually just over hand for forehand and a backward swing for backhand and for the net guy just swing at the wrist and if he can hit the ball he will there seems to be no control for the net guy just swing and he hits or doesn't.
SO if anyone can rally explain a technique to try to see if the ball can really react to different swings I am game to try.

18.games.jpg
44553433@N00.jpg

Back