Wii U's new contender: Ouya Android console

I'll really stop gaming if they are going charge me 60 euro's for downloadable games, I'm not lying.:yikes: I mean that kind of stuff just begs for getting hacked by someone. That would mean that "Watch Dogs" is going to be real life.:lol:

Who said the games are gonna be £60 each?
A lot are gona be free for the Ouya

I keep reading stuff saying the games of the future are going to be totally digital download or cloud gaming. I just can't bring myself to get excited over something like that. I am like the "touch & smell the disc and booklet" sort of gamer. I want something in my hands to feel. I want to look on my shelf at the box art. To me it is part of the experience. I am just too old school I guess. Hearing these things causes me to draw back into my retro gaming shell. I have grown too close to things that I expect when purchasing a new game. I know deep down at some point this is the way gaming is going. Technology is changing the gaming culture perspective of the "now" generation of gamers. To them the way we did things in the past has become a museum piece. The future is something I find hard to swallow.

How successful this concept in gaming becomes will impact the way we game in the future. If this takes off and flies, you could see the next generation of gaming have a very short lifespan (remember the Sega Dreamcast). That economic squeeze will guarantee it. Especially if the games are a lot cheaper than the big three consoles.

:wiifit:

Last edited:
Welcome to my world, At least most the games will be free or cheap, im ok with getting something at those prices, its when places start charging full price for them is when its arse

I keep reading stuff saying the games of the future are going to be totally digital download or cloud gaming. I just can't bring myself to get excited over something like that. I am like the "touch & smell the disc and booklet" sort of gamer. I want something in my hands to feel. I want to look on my shelf at the box art. To me it is part of the experience. I am just too old school I guess. Hearing these things causes me to draw back into my retro gaming shell. I have grown too close to things that I expect when purchasing a new game. I know deep down at some point this is the way gaming is going. Technology is changing the gaming culture perspective of the "now" generation of gamers. To them the way we did things in the past has become a museum piece. The future is something I find hard to swallow.

I can't say I'm a fan of the new downloadable options I've been given as a gamer as well (the Wii's Virtual Console, the PSP's downloads store, etc.). I also honestly miss the days when manuals were quite thick 'n actually had information in 'em. Nowadays they ain't even manuals, they're just small pamphlets with a summary of a game's storyline...

Considerin' it wasn't like this 'till a couple of years ago (and the fact I'm complainin' 'bout not having a manual of all things), my complaints over a lack of manuals must be a tad odd.

Considerin' it wasn't like this 'till a couple of years ago (and the fact I'm complainin' 'bout not having a manual of all things), my complaints over a lack of manuals must be a tad odd.

I know what you mean. I use to love the manuals and maps. Remember the maps? I have been known to purchase a used game and then chase down the Box art insert and then the manual. The manuals to fighters used to have certain moves just to get you started.

Absolutely, it's certainly nice that some games do still continue the grandeur map tradition, like Red Dead Redemption or Skyrim. Neat trinkets that come with games for free like said maps are always a great bonus of a keepsake.

With all this talk of boxart, I'm realizin' I'll also miss my stacks of games on shelves 'n furniture once the move to digital-only occurs. There's somethin' appealing to me 'bout towers upon rows of game cases everywhere. ... S'pose that's what they call bein' a core gamer. :lol:

Back to the topic at hand, since this is android-based, is it gonna have any sort'a phone-related options? Not that it at all matters, simply curious.

Skype I'm sure, but it will need a headset. Something for that USB port I guess.

The big question is, "what is their business model and how will they maintain their income after the initial volume of hardware sells?" Wouldn't want to invest the money only to find 6 months later I couldn't play because their servers were shut down. Are they going to be dependent on their own first party games?

I have entered this question on their FAQ. And I am waiting for an answer. :devil:

Believe I read somewhere that the people behind the Ouya will receive a small percentage of every download's cost, every sale. Standard business model indeed.

... Don't quote me though.

Nar its not like Onlive. Its Android based so that means that it will keep getting support threw the Android market place.

Speaking of stacks of games on shelf's. I do believe that with my recent shelf I have already filled it.
NEED MORE SHELF'S! Physical media will never die out as there is already so much of it

On a related note. Onlive died the other day then got bought out.
bryan_nocopy.png

THE CANCER WILL NOT DIE!

Last edited:
Back