Wii/Zelda rant.. no spoilers whatsoever.

Wow yeah Mmy please edit that out to be nice to people....its really not in good forum taste to do that

that has been a problem. to be honest, its not the remote. its the game. it was a launch game, no matter how popular zelda is, it was a launch game. lg's are gona suck. later on when there is more experince with the wiimote in game dovelpers, the games will be much better, trust me.

My only gripe is people who still think the Wii is just a Gamecube in a new box. HAHAH!!!

Go rent/buy/borrow Call of Duty 3
Play even just the intro level
And then tell me it's just a Gamecube.
HA!
My friend who is a 360 whore was blown away at the quality of the graphics, especially the smoke effects, and the number of things taking place at once on screen in the battles. It is seriously and OBVIOUSLY superior to ANYTHING I EVER SAW on the Gamecube. Even Resident Evil 4 can't compare to Call of Duty 3's graphics.
And it was just a launch day PORT!!!

Come on people, get real. Wii's graphics rule, and will continue to get better. People who think Metroid Prime 3 will be and look the same as 1 and 2 are in for a shock, I guarantee!

teh frog said:
that has been a problem. to be honest, its not the remote. its the game. it was a launch game, no matter how popular zelda is, it was a launch game. lg's are gona suck. later on when there is more experince with the wiimote in game dovelpers, the games will be much better, trust me.

The 'slashing' in Zelda is like .02 percent of the overall game experience. Everything else with the remote works perfectly, and the game is downright flippin' awesome...."lg" or not.

Well I'm 20 hours in now, beat the first three temples and I can officially say I don't like the controls. I still would rather hit A than slash or wiggle the nunchuck (which doesn't always work when i need it to).. and aiming with the wiimote for things like arrows or hookshot when there's a lot going on is a pain if you go off the screen.

Regarding the game, I absolutely fell in love with OOT, 10/10. I'm not feeling this game.. and 20 hours in, I should be. Its big and long but not terribly memorable, it seems like a case of quantity over quality. I think I also prefer the Wind Waker graphics. I hope they don't abandon the cell shaded look, it was really well done. They still didn't make the game difficult enough, I've never come close to dying.. the temples are really easy, I hope they get harder and more complicated. Everything is so linear in this game, if you find a key, the door it opens is always no more than one or two doors away.. there are no real puzzles in the temples. There isn't a single part of the game so far that I would like to go back and do over. The whole wolf thing is silly, collecting the tears is pure filler.. so far, 7/10. I hope it gets better..

I hate that too. How hard would it have been to implement proper functionality? It's lazy and disappointing.

My only gripe is people who still think the Wii is just a Gamecube in a new box. HAHAH!!!

HA!

I've seen screenshots and videos. It really isn't much better than Gamecube. Why does Far Cry look better on the Xbox than the Cube? Surely if the Wii were considerably more powerful than the Cube, the devs would have had little room to let sloppiness ruin the game, as they'd have sheer power to fall back on?

I think it has to do more with the fact that not everyone has HD TV's (only 5% in the US households have em) and graphics on standard televisions are limited to the televisions resolution. so really having super powerful graphics solution can be pointless if you don't have a tv set that can display the incredible detail of it which is where resolution comes in.

This just shows how people aren't thinking for themselves!

How can that be the case? Have you ever heard of something called "DVD"? Until games approach the quality of DVD movies, you can't say they're pushing standard def to the limit. Are any games on the Wii movie realistic? No. Not even on the 360 or PS3, nor will there be until their successor's successors at least.

Your statement is completely and utterly wrong for that reason. "Resolution" doesn't take on some amazing new meaning for games. It is possible to create blending techniques that make games look just as good as DVD movies, the technology is just way off. Personally I like lower resolutions sometimes as you can't see all the flaws. Higher resolutions often look like the enivornment is made out of paper, which can only be countered with "Too much bump mapping".

Clearly you don't understand much about televisions.

This made me laugh. The statement that was in retort to was incredibly ridiculous and utterly blatantly false beyond belief.

Gb2GC if you hate the wii so much.

I'm getting tired of this attitude. It's ****ing pathetic. Is nobody allowed to like the Wii and take issue with it at the same time? Why not?

Did you listen to NOTHING about the Wii before it came out? It was WELL known how powerful it would be, what the graphics would generally be capable of, and there were TONS of screenshots of Zelda before it came out.

They said it would be "2-3 times the power of the Gamecube". Incidentally, they lied. "Sligthtly better than " does not equate 2-3 times the power of the gamecube. 2-3 times would mean you'd be seeing, say, upwards of 1.5 times the polycount and 1.5 times the texture resolution with room for a couple of extra shaders now and then. The Wii seems to have more like 1.25 times the polycount, and 1.25 times the average texture resolution, and few new shaders at the absolute best, not "upwards of".

the wii doesnt have next gen graphics to keep the price down.

Yet the Gamecube launched for $200, and had amazing graphics. $250 is still too much for many of my student friends.

yuzi87 said:
lol, well im so sick of people bloody moaning about wiis graphics, if u dont like it buy summat else and stfu:rolleyes:

boo hoo wii doesnt have as good graphics as 360 or ps3.....:mad2:

CUS THEY DIDNT MAKE IT WITH ****EN MIND BLOWIN GRAPHICS WHICH EVERYBODY HAS KNOWN FOR AGES SO DONT COMPARE THEM!!!!!!:incazzato:

JIBJAB>....hmmm wii doesnt have as good graphics and im a graphic whore, also control format looks dodgy as i like to just caveman mash buttons.....hmmmm.....I KNOW! ill buy a nintendo wii and then when it proves to be everything i knew it was ill ***** about it on a wii forum to everyone who owns one and loves it!:tard:

You're a ****ing idiot. Just because someone takes issue with something doesn't mean they shouldn't buy it, just be aware of that factor. How ****ing old are you, seriously?

so what makes u think u are gonna jump from a normal controller to some super motion sensing controller thats only in its first couple of months of development in games , give it time it will only get better

No, we already had some decent level of sword motion detection, Zelda just didn't include it.

That's why he's disappointed. He wasn't hoping for realistic 1:1 mapping so much as something Red Steel like at least.

I pretty much would say i agree with most people here. I totally apperciate your opinion on how you think the system/controller work, but that doesnt mean you need to force feed us till we agree.

The problem here is that people are forming opinions out of high hopes and delusions, not objective reality.

I don't like when people play the "Force your opinions" card on absolutely everything. Somethings are just plain right or wrong.

For instance, whether or not the Wii is value for money has a subjective element in how much you enjoy it, but also a strongly objective element in whether the hardware is worth near that much. It most likely isn't objectively worth the money due to it being sold considerably more than it's worth, or it being possible to produce for cheaper reasonably easily, even if you think it subjectively is because of your experience.

Last edited:
Transfixed said:

HA!
My friend who is a 360 whore was blown away at the quality of the graphics, especially the smoke effects, and the number of things taking place at once on screen in the battles. It is seriously and OBVIOUSLY superior to ANYTHING I EVER SAW on the Gamecube. Even Resident Evil 4 can't compare to Call of Duty 3's graphics.
And it was just a launch day PORT!!!

Come on people, get real. Wii's graphics rule, and will continue to get better. People who think Metroid Prime 3 will be and look the same as 1 and 2 are in for a shock, I guarantee!

thats a complete load the graphiucs won't improve to keep the price down and unless you just came off your mommy's n64 or snes they suck

ganton said:
thats a complete load the graphiucs won't improve to keep the price down and unless you just came off your mommy's n64 or snes they suck

People like you bug the S*** out of me.
"the graphics wont improve to keep the price down"??
WTF does that even mean? Cynical asses like yourself don't deserve to post their so-called 'opinions' when they're just hateful ignorance with no basis whatsoever. The Wii's graphics do NOT 'suck'. They just don't. Sorry, but THEY DONT.
Again, all you F-tards who think you're so cool coming on here and parroting the same stupid comments like that, stop jerking it to thoughts of the PS3 and GO LOOK AT CALL OF DUTY 3. Play through the first level or two, and THEN tell me they "suck". Your little mind will be blown.

I know this isn't a place for name calling, but you're an embarrassing idiot.
360 and ps3 have better graphical capabilities, this has been known for a Looong time now. Get over it. Just because 6 million dollars is a lot of money, doesn't make 4 million dollars pocket change. GET IT??

Last edited:
Kittie Rose said:
I hate that too. How hard would it have been to implement proper functionality? It's lazy and disappointing.

I've seen screenshots and videos. It really isn't much better than Gamecube. Why does Far Cry look better on the Xbox than the Cube? Surely if the Wii were considerably more powerful than the Cube, the devs would have had little room to let sloppiness ruin the game, as they'd have sheer power to fall back on?

This just shows how people aren't thinking for themselves!

How can that be the case? Have you ever heard of something called "DVD"? Until games approach the quality of DVD movies, you can't say they're pushing standard def to the limit. Are any games on the Wii movie realistic? No. Not even on the 360 or PS3, nor will there be until their successor's successors at least.

Your statement is completely and utterly wrong for that reason. "Resolution" doesn't take on some amazing new meaning for games. It is possible to create blending techniques that make games look just as good as DVD movies, the technology is just way off. Personally I like lower resolutions sometimes as you can't see all the flaws. Higher resolutions often look like the enivornment is made out of paper, which can only be countered with "Too much bump mapping".

This made me laugh. The statement that was in retort to was incredibly ridiculous and utterly blatantly false beyond belief.

I'm getting tired of this attitude. It's ****ing pathetic. Is nobody allowed to like the Wii and take issue with it at the same time? Why not?

They said it would be "2-3 times the power of the Gamecube". Incidentally, they lied. "Sligthtly better than " does not equate 2-3 times the power of the gamecube. 2-3 times would mean you'd be seeing, say, upwards of 1.5 times the polycount and 1.5 times the texture resolution with room for a couple of extra shaders now and then. The Wii seems to have more like 1.25 times the polycount, and 1.25 times the average texture resolution, and few new shaders at the absolute best, not "upwards of".

Yet the Gamecube launched for $200, and had amazing graphics. $250 is still too much for many of my student friends.

You're a ****ing idiot. Just because someone takes issue with something doesn't mean they shouldn't buy it, just be aware of that factor. How ****ing old are you, seriously?

No, we already had some decent level of sword motion detection, Zelda just didn't include it.

That's why he's disappointed. He wasn't hoping for realistic 1:1 mapping so much as something Red Steel like at least.

The problem here is that people are forming opinions out of high hopes and delusions, not objective reality.

I don't like when people play the "Force your opinions" card on absolutely everything. Somethings are just plain right or wrong.

For instance, whether or not the Wii is value for money has a subjective element in how much you enjoy it, but also a strongly objective element in whether the hardware is worth near that much. It most likely isn't objectively worth the money due to it being sold considerably more than it's worth, or it being possible to produce for cheaper reasonably easily, even if you think it subjectively is because of your experience.

The Wii is atleast twice as powerful as the Gamecube. Stop looking at freaking Elebits screenshots and go play Call of Duty 3. I'm just going to keep saying this over and over until you people get it. The graphics are SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER than the Gamecubes. Stop trying to tell yourself otherwise, and just investigate the damn fact for yourself. You will soon see things you never came close to seeing on the 'cube.

i dont know about u but the wii is not a gamecube witha new controler you must beblind put on your glasses. the graphics are way better than the gamecube.. and your bitching about paying 250 bucks for the wii and complaining about how they couldve made more powerful sure they couldve if you wanted to pay 500 bucks for it ..but they kept the price down by goin the slower cpu speed if they were to put in a better gpu then the cpu would be the bottleneck of the system so they would have to boost up the cpu speeds faster wich would again put cost more up there .. dont know about you but im happy with the wii and playing wii sports with friends is awsome you dont just be sitting on the couch pressing some buttons your acutally doin some kind of motion ..**** man if you dont want your wii donate that thing to some kid thatll appreciate it and fun with the system not some kid thatll ***** about the graphics and controls you shouldve baught 360 or a ps3

Back