Xbox 360 in SD (what was i thinking?)

casualimp

Playing Wiiffle Ball
Dec 12, 2006
Orillia, ON
I couldn't get a Wii and was impatient for a console and the 360 pro was on sale for $399 so I picked it up. So far I've only played Ghost Recon which came with it, but on my 34" SD TV I can't read the text too well. It's got s-video but would it even be worth shelling more money for this thing when I'm behind on technology? I can't afford a new set. What to do...

Prolly bare with it until you can get a HDTV, or get a VGA cable and connect it to a computer monitor.

Ghost Recon and Dead Rising are the only games i can think of that have that problem. the rest of the games ive played on it have easy to read text on an SDTV

Mitch2025 said:
Ghost Recon and Dead Rising are the only games i can think of that have that problem. the rest of the games ive played on it have easy to read text on an SDTV

That's good, I'm getting GR in a couple of days, and i don't have much of a problem playing Dead Rising.. Is the text relatively the same size on both games?

i cant stand playing dead rising, i got it for xmas, good thing it was used so my mom can return it within 30 days, i barely even try to read the small text now cause its jsut a pain

Yay! Not only am I not getting what I want graphically due to my hardware, I can't go online because the wifi adapter is insanely expensive and I can't run a cable from my router to it. I think this little puppy is going back to the store.

casualimp said:
Yay! Not only am I not getting what I want graphically due to my hardware, I can't go online because the wifi adapter is insanely expensive and I can't run a cable from my router to it. I think this little puppy is going back to the store.

It's like $40 more than any other wireless network adapter. $40 is enough to make you want to return the sexy 360?

Did you not read specs before buying it?

Okay, so I know someone else now who feels my pain. I actually had several games that were very hard to read the text for on my older tv. Turning down the sharpness really helps. However, I must say when you do get an HDTV (as I did for christmas) you are going to be floored by the graphics; its like you are playing another system entirely. I survived a year having to constantly change my settings to read text, but no longer. Long Live the HDTV.

Bigsam4 said:
Okay, so I know someone else now who feels my pain. I actually had several games that were very hard to read the text for on my older tv. Turning down the sharpness really helps. However, I must say when you do get an HDTV (as I did for christmas) you are going to be floored by the graphics; its like you are playing another system entirely. I survived a year having to constantly change my settings to read text, but no longer. Long Live the HDTV.

Wanna hear a funny story? When I first got my 360 on an HDTV, I was just amazed by the graphics. And then one night I was browsing a 360 forum and someone asked a question about how they can't get it to display 1080p and how they even have the switch on the component cable turned hdtv. I then decided to go to my 360's display settings just curious as to what happens when a tv that doesn't support 1080p is set to it, if it would even let you do that. And then it hit me......I had been playing xbox360 all along without HDTV. I forgot to switch the component cable over to hdtv, so I had been playing in 480i all along.

The moral of this story is, the xbox360 has purty graphics without high def....but god damn does it look sweet in 1080i/p.

$40 is still $40. Or should I say $130 CND for the Microsoft Wireless adapter. Bought that today, used Windows Connection Wizard to copy my ip settings and everything and nothing. Added my WEP, tried adding the console's MAC address to my router's filters and still nothing. So far close $700 CND for a single player machine. It's better than my computer's ability to play games, but I feel I'm only using 33% of its potential. I did read the specs, but felt I could live with downgraded graphics for awhile. Even in SD I still think it looks good but I want to experience Xbox LIVE and I can't.

Windows connection wizard why?

Your router should have DHCP enabled. All you need to do with the xbox360 is go to the settings and find an access point.

Okay, it was Windows Connect Now, (www.xbox.com/setup) a service in windows xp SP2 that allows you to copy your network settings to a flash usb drive and transfer that to the Xbox 360. I have DHCP enabled on my router and even tough to console was able to see my network, it wouldn't establish a connection.

I find the text on Gears of War a little small, but that may be because my bedroom TV is tiny, I believe around 14 inch or so.

Back